“LOVE THIS PLACE.”
Review of Fields of the Wood

Fields of the Wood
Ranked #1 of 38 things to do in Murphy
More attraction details
Owner description: Fields of the Wood is a Bible based theme park located in the Great Smoky Mountains. From Prayer Mountain to Ten Commandment Mountain and to the All Nations Cross, God's word unfolds through marble and stone. Admission is free, but donations are welcome. The park is open daily from sunrise to sunset. The Gift Shop and Cafe hours vary according to the season.
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I have been to FOTW several times. A few times as a child which I remember my grandmother praying and singing at the alter and walking around on the cross at the flags of nations. I have been twice as an adult and it is always breath taking. My husband and I took our kids ages 16&13 and they loved it. We did climb the 10 comandment hill. My son walked back down to get car and drove up to get us. lol It was the most peacful feeling there. Dont get anybetter than that. We sat at the pond for about 20 mins feeding the ducks, so relaxing. I have a question. Does any one know if the number of steps going up means anything and what? I have heard this before but cant seem to find anything on it. Please if you are this way, just take an hour and walk the grounds you will feel somuch better when you come out. God bless!

5  Thank susanstong

Reviewed January 1, 2012

I visited this place as a child and can only remember the massive amounts of steps...as an adult all I can think about is the massive amounts of pain associated with all those steps;-). This is a wonderful Christian based park--FREE by the way. A wonderful opportunity to share a walking (climbing) faith with my child. The views here are beautiful and breath-taking. The park is well maintained.

5  Thank AP650
Reviewed November 18, 2011

We were on our 19th anniversary trip, and had seen this place on a map as we prepared a week earlier for the trip, but didn't plan on stopping because it was a little off our path. God had other plans! We got a little ahead of our timeline one day, and by adjusting our destination, we ended up going right by the Fields of the Wood - and almost drove right by it, but the gargantuan 10 Commandments caught our eye. We're really glad we stopped.

The grounds are very well maintained and the honoring of the Word of God is well done. Be prepared to do some extreme stairmaster climbing if you choose to head to the top of either the 10 Commandments or the Prayer Mountain, which is on the other side of the 'valley' from the 10 Commandments. As you climb Prayer Mountain you can read the Scripture verses on small monuments beside the path that speak to every person and at the top is a place to pause, pray and catch your breath. You can also drive to the top of both sides if you're unable to make the trek to the top on foot.

There's also a replica of the tomb of Christ and of Golgotha, "the place of the skull" where Jesus was crucified. Psalms of Praise, a baptismal pool and snack bar/gift shop/restrooms is also available.

All of this and free admission, too. Definitely worth a stop. Open daily year round.

5  Thank ModCuda
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Have been about 6 times. 2 as a child and 4 as an adult, although the experience is awe inspiring when you finally realize its significance. Nestled in the hills of North Carolina, the drive itself is worth the trip. There are plenty of things to do if you sightsee from visiting historic Murphy, NC to visiting the Ocoee River, the Nantahala River, eating at Herbs Barbecue, driving the Tail of the Dragon, and visiting Hiwasee Dam and Fontana. You better get up early if you plan to do it all in a day though. Take two and take your time to enjoy the life the Lord has given you. Take a picnic lunch and enjoy it at any of the places I mentioned. You'll be glad you did.

3  Thank Charles G
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We enjoyed lunch here and were very impressed with the grounds

2  Thank Divepatches