“Fair prices for better than expected food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Southland Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Moyock
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Established in 1972. "Southland", as we are known, is comprised of Southland Restaurant, Southland Snack Bar, as well a general convenience store and shopping areas. Southland Restaurant serves country-style lunch and dinner buffets, and a weekend breakfast bar (Sat/Sun). Enjoy "Breakfast Anytime" from our full service menu. We are well known for having "The Best Fried Chicken" and BBQ. Southland Snack Bar features fast made to order Carolina BBQ sandwiches and dinners. We serve premium Blue Bell brand hand-dipped ice cream. Southland serves locals and travelers alike, many of whom are visiting the Outer Banks of North Carolina. We are a landmark stop that is part of many folks' vacation traditions. From the beginning there has been a lot of time, effort, pride, and care directed towards providing old-fashioned service, and the absolute highest quality, at the most reasonable price.
Smithfield, VA
“Fair prices for better than expected food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

The wine queen and yours truly stopped at Southland on the way back from a trip to the OBX on Sunday. I wanted a BBQ sandwich. They advertise BBQ. Turns out that they also had a BBQ platter for $8 or $9 depending on minced or pulled pork. That includes two sides and several hush puppies. Since it was near dinner time, I opted for the platter. The BBQ was good, but ... it was prime pork ... almost no fatty meat. So I had to use more sauce than I'd prefer. But it was very good. The queen opted for the same thing. We had a choice of 3 sauces, but it appears to me that they had put some spicy vinegar based sauce on them before serving. When that got soaked up, I resorted to the sweet stuff.

My sides were corn and carrots. The corn was decent. The carrots were slightly sweet ... and appealed to me over ... just plain carrots. The hushpuppies were very good.

They also have a buffet with some very good looking items on it. But that's too much food for me these days.

I had iced tea, and it was pretty good, also. We opted not to stuff dessert into the mix.

We will return. BTW, the queen wanted the freshly prepared fried chicken but did not want to wait 25 minutes for it. She asked if she could be served the chicken from the buffet, but the waitress said that was not allowed. The chicken on the menu would either be done per spec ... freshly prepared and piping hot ... or not at all. I appreciate their quality control.

We noted several appealing (sounding) entree's on the menu at very decent looking prices. The place has little ambiance, but for a decent meal at a decent price it seems like a good choice in Moyock.

• Visited July 2013

Ashburn, Virginia
“A small, down home restaurant with a tasty buffet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

If your OBX vacation is over and you're starting your journey back to reality, consider making a stop here to sample the small but delicious buffet and fresh iced tea. The restaurant offers a pleasant environment that caters to tourists and locals alike. It is family friendly and a nice option for getting re-energized before heading on down the highway. Buffet offerings included succulent fried chicken, warm biscuits, fish, assorted vegetables, salad fixings, mashed potatoes, homemade vegetable soup and a variety of desserts. We've been visiting Southland on our return trip home for the past six years and everyone always leaves happy. It's a change of pace from BBQ and fast food, and is sure to have something for all the kin folk. They'll even put some coffee in a cup to go if you need a caffeine boost for the journey home.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“The worst experience I have ever had”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

That was my first and last time in that resturant. The service was poor and the staff was rude. The place was freezing and when asked to adjust the temp was told no and had several emplyees staring and pointing at our table .. it was an experience I hope I never have again and would not recommend the place to anyone..

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Chesapeake, Virginia
“The Best Fried Chicken and Catfish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

Everytime I visit Southland Restaurant I am never disappointed. I live 15 minutes from the North Carolina border and I love going there for pork BBQ on the weekends. The food at the restaurant is just like home-cooking. The fried chicken and catfish are to die for....the all-you-can eat buffet is priced just right. The potato soup is oh...so good! "Worth the drive!

• Visited May 2013
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Great Homestyle Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Just across the border of NC from VA off RT 168 is Southland. If you're looking for comfort food, This is the place. The dining room is homey and the food will remind you of Mom.
When I need a Fried Chicken fix, I come here to enjoy. But their all-you-can-eat buffet has other great items. NC is know for pork BBQ and the buffet has it. Want? Fish, they have it, as well as pasta. The salad bar is very fresh and the you'll also find the soup of the day ( try the clam chowder). To finish off the meal, dessert is served, pudding and cake. All great. All for less than $10
TIP: Avoid the toll to and from Southland by going by Old Battlefield BLVD