“My Trip to "Mayberry"”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mount Airy

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Ludowici Georgia
255 helpful votes
“My Trip to "Mayberry"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2009

I grew up watching Andy Griffith on the show Mayberry RFD and I from a small town in Georgia so spending a day in the town that was the inspiration for the show was a must see for me. I found walking down Main Street was like stepping back in time. Andy based the show on what and who he knew as he was growing up in Mount Airy like eating at the Snappy Lunch, getting a haricut at Floyd's City Barber Shop, and walking down to Wally's Service Station. Main Street was so beautiful with the trees, flowers, old clock, and they were just putting up a fall display complete with bales of hay, mums, pumpkins, scarecrows, etc. The weather was just a perfect 69 degrees and sunny on September 29, 2009. My freind and I walked all up one side and down the other to take in all the shops there. We poked our heads in each and every store and bought post cards, Vera Bradley purses, soda pop, and treats in Opie's Candy Store before watching a customer get his hair cut in Floyd's City barber Shop. We also enjoyed watching 2 characters play checkers on Main Street. The sights and smells brought back some of my own child hood memories growing up in a small town. The people were friendly, the food was good, and the parking free. I took pictures of us in the old jail, and best of all, you can take a Squad Car Tour and cruise Mayberry in a vintage 1962 Squad Car Replica that stops at all the highlights including the world's largest open face granite quarry. You can even see a statue of Andy and Opie going to the fishing hole. The price is right too...up to 5 people can ride in the car for just $30 so make freinds! We had just missed Mayberry Days that very weekend in which lookalikes bring the characters to life, there is live bluegrass music, a pie eating contest, trivia contest, pork chop eating contest, a golf tournament, and so much more. You can also mosey on down to the Mayberry Motor Inn to see Owner Alma Venable's "Aunt Bee" collection. She holds a certificate of authenicity for more than 30 of Bavier's (Aunt Bee) belongings, such as gloves, eyeglasses, a handkerchief, a dress, a hat, a shoe kit, furniture, and sewing materials. I would say that anyone that was a fan of the Andy Griffith Show would enjoy a trip to Mount Airy.

1 Thank MariefromGeorgia
Urbana, Illinois
45 helpful votes
“A must see for Andy Griffith fans”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2009

A nice little side trip. Very easy to get on & off highway. Cuter little town that has capitalized on its famous resident Andy Griffith. Andy used this town a s a model for Mayberry. The Andy Griffith theme song is played over PA in the downtown area. You can ride in the police car for a tour of the town or on a mule pulled wagon. Lots of gift shops selling Barney Fife Tshirts. The courthouse is set up to look like Sheriff Taylor's jailhouse.

Indian Head, Maryalnd
6 helpful votes
“No No No”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2009

We take a trip to mount airy expecting a nice welcoming experience, but what we get was a trip back in time. I dont know if it was just me or what but i'll never go back to "mayberry" again. EVERY shop or restaurant we walked into everything stopped and all eyes were on us. Now, as an African American, I thought that most people would at least try and hide it but in mayberry they LIKE to show it. I see why there were no black people on the show because in real life they're not even around. We were so uncomfortable we didnt even want to eat and we felt rushed out of the candy store, that already was closing at 5. Im glad we didnt bring our 3 year old to witness the worst trip i have ever been on !!

2 Thank showtyme1012
North Carolina
15 helpful votes
“Loved this small southern town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2005

I recently spent the day in Mount Airy North Carolina. Better known by
Mayberry from the Andy Griffith show. If you are a fan of the show than a stop at the visitor center will delight you. One note though its not easy to find the signs you follow are small and do not give a lot of notice, but once there you will find a lot of pictures (even one of Andy and Elvis).
The people are very friendly and you feel safe to walk about the streets.

So if you are looking about North Carolina it is worth a stop. There is NOT tons of stuff to do or see so I wouldn't think you would plan a vacation around it. I did see numerous tour buses stopping by though. There is some great parks in the area also.

2 Thank T.Wise

Been to Mount Airy? Share your experiences!