“Sometimes people like to play games with you”

Best Western Bryson Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Mount Airy
Reviewed September 19, 2009

Sometimes people like to play games with you, figuring for the most part they can get away with a little deception here and there and no one will ever know. Sometimes they may involve trivial things but sometimes the trivial things give you a good read about someone's conscience or a principle or non-principle that a business or service stands upon. When we were deciding which motel to stay at in the Mt. Airy area, while comparing, we saw this Best Western and on its own website they suggest they have "mountain view" rooms. Again, all in all, this is trivial, but hear me out. This was going to be the last night of our vacation and we definitely wanted a room in Mt. Airy because we were going to check the Andy Griffith-related sites before heading north and home to Ohio. We ended up selecting this Best Western and on my reservation form I followed their own instructions/suggestions and noted that I would like a "mountain view room." Upon my arrival there I was given a room facing the pool, where it just so happened on that night a whole herd of people were hooting and shoving pizza down their yappers as if they'd just won the Super Bowl. Anyways, I asked about the "mountain view" room and the clerk, in a snippy retort, bellowed, "what mountain?" I almost pooped. It just kind of took the wind out of me, as I lugged my belongings to my pool-side room and slumped on to my bed, peeking out at the pizza chompers and loud pool partiers who seemed to think they owned the whole town. The room could have looked and felt like the Taj Mahal and it wouldn't have mattered after that. Again, all in all, trivial in the overall gist of things. But don't lie to people. Especially don't lie to people as an extra little ploy to get someone to come to your motel. And then someone suggests they want a mountain view balcony room because they seek peace, and they pay ahead of time, don't stick them in the closest possible room next to Pool Party Central. But don't let these people scare you from Mt. Airy. It's a beautiful town, just beautiful. And the restaurant next to this motel, which is just off the interstate (I-74 and I-77), was unbelievably delicious and comfortable. It's called Brintles, and I've read others' suggestions and remarks that it is basically a "truckstop restaurant." Don't be misled. The food is like eating at your grandmothers, the waitresses are friendly and prompt, the salad bar is very nice, the prices are very good, and the whole dingdang thing is just wonderful. And make sure you say hi to Uncle Brintle, the little manaquin cowboy in the entranceway.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ActiveCommunications
There are newer reviews for Best Western Bryson Inn

Reviewed August 26, 2009

I stay at several BW's for both business and pleasure. I have been staying at this particular hotel off and on for the last 10 years, several times per year. This Hotel is consistently clean, neat, in great condition and has personable people. The truck stop/restaurant next door has good food also. I recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a neat, clean, quiet hotel at reasonable prices. MT Airy is a nice quiet place to visit and is very friendly towards tourists.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eastcoasttraveler1
Reviewed April 26, 2009

After 12 hours of driving through fog, rain, wind, and the wild mountain roads I had enough. I saw this hotel and pulled in. The check in clerk was very friendly, and we got a great AAA rate for 2 rooms. The rooms decent, comfortable, clean, and quiet. It's right off the highway. The morning breakfast which is included is decent, and filling,and the area was clean. The staff friendly and helpful, a nice place to stay while driving on vacation.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank roccofire
Reviewed February 28, 2009

We stopped here on our way back NY. It was convenient to the interstate. There is a truck stop next door, but you'd never know it because we didn't hear the trucks at all. There is a decent restraurant at the truck stop as well as one across the road too. We weren't too impressed with the one across the road though. It was ok. The rooms at the Best Western were comfortable. The bed spread appeared to be a little old, but the bed was fairly comfortable. We didn't hear much noise at all. There was a small breakfast bar in the lobby. It was adequate but didn't have a wide selection. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pam S
Reviewed December 28, 2007

After reading the mostly positive reviews on TripAdvisor, I decided to spend the night at Best Western in Mount Airy. The AAA discount made it a good deal. Checking in was quick and the staff very friendly. My room and bathroom were spotless and quite spacious. They have amenities such as shampoos, hair dryer, iron and many cable stations. A free breakfast in the morning consisted of juice, cereal, hard boiled eggs and oatmeal to name a few.

The location is about 7 miles from downtown Mount Airy. There is one restaurant next to the motel, which is owned by the motel. Diners can get a 10% dicount on meals. Not much of a selection though and found prices a little high. Better to drive to Mount Airy for more variety.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank NY11373
Reviewed August 13, 2007

Nice pretty new outdoor entrance motel. Since its newer, the rooms are a bit larger allowing for queen beds instead of doubles -- a nice feature when traveling with three kids. Good Contenental breakfast featuring biskets and gravey.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Parrotheadpirate
Reviewed April 8, 2007

Clean, nice room a little over priced at 89 a night for one person, some advice stay away from the truckstop next door poor food at high prices.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Airy
Hampton Inn & Suites Dobson
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#1 of 8 in Hillsville

Been to Best Western Bryson Inn? Share your experiences!