“Not the Hilton, but clean and comfy”
Review of Starlite Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Airy
Starlite Motel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Mount Airy
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Arrived in Mt. Airy at 5pm and was anxious to eat and then rest for a full day Monday the 4th of July. We first stopped at the Mayberry Hotel but were informed they were full. We decided to try the Star Lite Motel before we went further into town. I entered the lobby and ask to see a room (the 49.99 per night concerned me). I was given a key and checked out the room. It was clean, bathroom was clean as were the bed sheets. When I returned to the office the manager inquired if I would rather have a smoking room because she had noticed my wife smoking. I took it but had some concerns that the smoking room would not be as nice or have a strong smell of smoke. To my surprise the smoking room was as clean, bathroom well supplied with towels, a very strong air conditioner and only a faint hint of cigarette smoke. I travel frequently and steer clear of Motels with real bad reviews but this place surprised me in a good way. It was clean and comfortable. No, it did not have a heated pool, suana, full breakfast or shampoo and conditioner in the bathroom. When I want these I stay in a Hilton or Hyatt. But if you are passing through the area and want a very inexpensive clean and comfortable place to sleep, this would be the place.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank southernohio2011
There are newer reviews for Starlite Motel
Reviewed April 19, 2010

We love the Andy Griffith Show, so naturally we were interested in staying in Mt. Airy, Andy's home town. Even better Andy stayed at the Starlite, 43 years after he left Mt. Airy.
Check in was easy, asked to see a room, no problem, given a room key to the Andy's famous room, king bed, etc. Tried the room key, wouldn't work, finally realized given wrong key. Rented room, here is the real skinny. Bathroom light didn't work, air conditioner only blew air, and the toilet wouldn't flush the following morning. Loved the bed - although we have been married for many years, the mattresses (two box springs) felt we needed to snuggle - didn't matter which way we turned, we ended up together in the middle of the bed - Ah - love!!! Either Andy hasn't revisited Mt. Airy again because of being too busy or he didn't want to stay at the Starlite again! Good luck future Patrons.
Watch out for the no refund policy. By the way Starlite does not have any lighted sign, and their sign out front doesn't have letters to send their message.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
8  Thank bob54333
Reviewed August 5, 2007

We arrived and paid with our credit card for three nights. Then we saw the room. No shampoo, no soap, a sign in the bathroom that said "No washing engine parts in the sink". The room smelled of disinfectant, which was tolerable, until the smell faded and was replaced by the smell of stale urine. HORRIBLE! The beds were lumpy, the air conditioner only ran occasionally and was VERY noisy.

We went to the desk to complain and check out, and they had posted a huge sign, which wasn't there when we checked in, stating there were NO REFUNDS.

This is one of the three worst motels on the planet. BEWARE!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
20  Thank nebzil
#2 of 8 in Mount Airy
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#1 of 2 in Pilot Mountain

Been to Starlite Motel? Share your experiences!