“Used to be nice”
Review of Mayberry Motor Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Airy
Mayberry Motor Inn
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Mount Airy
Williamstown, New Jersey
“Used to be nice”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I hate writing this review because I liked this place, but they really let me down. I brought a group of motorcyclists here for a night. We made our reservations 3 months on advance and everyone in our group had a confirmation. My husband and I booked a King room. 2 other couples also booked king rooms. The motel clerk called us @10pm the night before to see if we still planned on staying at the motel. We thought that was really strange, we're they planning on giving away our room? When we arrived they changed our room to 2 doubles. Another couple also had their room changed to a double, but the worst thing was a third couple was told they did not have a room at all. Even with the confirmation in hand the hotel manager said sorry we don't have a room left. They allowed other guests to extend their stay without realizing they were coming up short on rooms. This is completely unacceptable. Reservations don't mean anything to this motel anymore. I'm sorry to say I will not return to this motel

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank GLrider

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My family and I stayed here for one night in June and really liked it! The room was nice, clean, and afforadable The people who run the hotel were very friendly and if we go back to Mt. Airy, we will definitely be staying here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Jlynn73
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here one night...rooms are not big but they are very clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was very small but enough for your needs and it was clean and rust free. Price was responsable and they gave AAA discount. Would stay here again if we ever pass through.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Kietch2
Crystal Lake, Illinois
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Mt. Airy, North Carolina, near the Blue Ridge Parkway, was the home of Andy Griffith, and was the inspiration for "Mayberry", made famous by the Andy Griffith Show, hence the Mayberry Motor Inn. If you can remember traveling in the days before interstate highways, and stopping at a small "mom and pop" motel where you parked your car right in front of your room, that is the Mayberry Motor Inn. This nostalgic little motel is the reincarnation of the roadside motels of the "60's. It has a small office with "The Andy Griffith Show" memorabilia gracing every nook and cranny. They even have the squad car parked outside. The rooms are quite comfortable and clean, but dated as you would expect. The bed provided a restful night's sleep. The t.v. was a "80's or '90's model, but had a great picture, and received all of the popular channels. They have an outdoor swimming pool which we did not use, and a garden that should be quite lovely in summer. We were there mid-May, and not everything was in bloom yet. The price per room is quite reasonable compared to most chain motels today. If you are looking for a little nostalgia on your trip, you can't go wrong with the Mayberry Motor Inn.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Roving-Saint
Bear, Delaware, Usa
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Clean place, not a problem if I was staying by myself. We had a reservation for a king bed, got a queen. No kings available. Another couple traveling with us was promised a king, and wound up with two double beds. And another had a reservation and confirmation, but their room was given to someone else. Fortunately, someone called and cancelled and they were able to get a room. Another member of our group had a room that reeked of smoke, although they requested a non smoking.room. And they have a nice gazebo to socialize in, but there is no alcohol permitted.

We booked 7 rooms several months ago, and were excited to visit the area due to the Andy Griffith show connection. Also see review dated earlier this month from dglabmom for another sad story about reservations....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
tennessee
Reviewed May 17, 2013

went here as a motorcycle group doing a fund raiser for 23 year old triple amputee vet. Inn is "old fashioned" one story building with all rooms entered from outside...dated rooms, but clean and quite comfortable...offered "light" continental breakfast, coffee available all day...many restaurants available close by for all meals...property lovely, quiet...enjoyed property's large gazebo (no alcohol allowed)....especially good location for this group to gather outside our rooms and in gazebo..service very friendly...would be a good place for family reunion.....good price and the manager gave a very nice donation for our vet...

Room Tip: none of our group voiced a concern for their room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Huntersville, North Carolina
Reviewed May 7, 2013

On Saturday, May 5, the town of Mt. Airy had their 4th Annual Budbreak Festival. Fun Festival FYI! Several months ago my husband and I decided to attend the festival. I called and reserved a king bed room at Mayberry Motor Inn based on the prior recommondations on TripAdvisor and what I found on another website.

On our way to Mt. Airy, I placed a call to the the Inn asking if we could drop off our luggage as their check in was 2pm. The women who answered the phone informed me that a room was ready but it had 2 double beds. I informed her that we had booked a king room months ago (which she confirmed) for this evening and she told me that the other guests in the room decided to "stay over".

I hung up the phone and my husband and I discussed what we wanted to do. We called back asking to speak with the manager and asked them to move the guests in the "stay over" room to the double bed room and allow us to have the room we reserved. We were told they weren't there and that their belongings were in the room and basically take the double bed room or leave it.

As quaint as this place might have been, I believe there is a level of customer service expected when you make a reservation months before (hence the definition of reserve!).

I think that this could and would happen again...think twice about booking here!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#1 of 2 in Pilot Mountain

Been to Mayberry Motor Inn? Share your experiences!