“Best haircut”

Floyd's City Barbershop
Ranked #3 of 36 things to do in Mount Airy
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Floyd's is an institution in "Mayberry". Both of my children, now 29 & 32) got their first haircuts, and many more there. My niece and nephew came from out of state for their first haircuts. People come from all over the world for a picture of "Floyd" in the old barber chair.. A must see when you visit Mount Airy. Right beside of Snappy Lunch. But hurry, "Floyd" is close to 90

1  Thank Caroliangirl05

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This was, by far, my most favorite stop in "Mayberry"!!! It is an absolute must see for the Mayberry fan. Though there really isn't a Floyd, the 89 year old barber, Mr. Hiatt, is a close second. He was quite a talker, told us a few jokes, posed for pictures, the whole nine yards. He even had a few guys that were just there hanging out. It was great to just sit and chat with all of them, and feel like Andy or Barney could walk in at any minute.

I couldn't help but sit for a long time, holding Mr. Hiatt's hand while he told me joke after joke...all the while my hubby was taking pictures of us. Mr. Hiatt's told us he had been cutting hair for 66 years and I asked him when he was going to quite. He told me that he'd quit when he physically couldn't do it any more. When I asked him why he keeps working so hard, he said because of sweet young ladies like myself. He said that he likes when we fuss over him, hold his hand, pat his back, etc. Now mind you, I'm 56 years old! I'm not really a young lady but, I guess compared to him I am. Or maybe it was just to make my day but, whatever the reason was, Mr. Hiatt was a most gracious host. A sweetheart of a man. If you're ever in Mt. Airy, stop by Floyd's and buy a t-shirt or something from Mr. Hiatt to show him your support. And be sure to tell him you heard people singing his praises on Trip Advisor. I'm sure it'll make his day.

Mr. Hiatt can still give you a shave with a straight edged razor too....and his hands appear as steady as any 30 year old man's!!!! He works five days a week and has been for decades and decades now, so he's had a LOT of practice.

So be sure to stop by Floyd's while in Mayberry (Mt. Airy), but be prepared to sit a spell. I'm sure Mr. Hiatt will have a joke or two for you!

3  Thank momtomitchell
Reviewed April 28, 2013

When we went, a 50-something woman rather than "Floyd" was cutting hair. She did a fine job for $8 + tip. No wait, got right in on a Saturday at noon. There are tons of photos on the wall, plus the old barber chairs so it's a fun little trip.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Want a 1 1/2 hour shave and haircut for $13 and learn about history at the same time? Then come to Floyds. The owner of the shop is Russell. He is 89 years old and has had the shop for 66 years. He cut Andy's hair and over 1/2 million celebrities have visited him over the years including Opera Winfrey to name a few.
Russell is a very special unique person and has my highest respect. We talked for over an hour. He even looks like Floyd on the Andy Griffith Show. The haircut has community members visiting just like Mayberry and everyone cares about everybody else. A refreshing glimpse of the past and a real experience!

3  Thank mwood199
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Mr. Hiatt is one of the kindness, most gracious, welcoming person I have ever met. Within a few seconds, I felt like I knew him for years. He takes great pride in his shop. Stepping into the shop is a step back in time. Thank you Mr. Hiatt for making our visit to Mt. Airy truly special.

2  Thank advsmuch