“Mayberry Squad Car Tour.”

Mayberry Squad Car Tours
Reviewed September 30, 2013

A great way to see Mayberry and hear all about Andy Taylor. Also eating at the Blue Bird Diner on Main street brought back memories of Barnie.

1  Thank bhag_12

Reviewed September 11, 2013

My wife and I visited Mt. Airy NC. (Mayberry USA) Home Town of Andy Griffith.Walked the streets of Mayberry As sees on TV. Court House,Jail, Wally's Service station, Andy's House where he lived as a small boy. Oh yes almost forgot The squad car. Had a great time. I give it a AAA. A must See.

1  Thank roycechambers
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We LOVED the town of Mount Airy in NC but this tour was a bit of a disappointment. To be honest we never even got IN the squad car because the lady behind the counter was less than friendly to say the least. She seemed to be put out that we were there, didn't seem interested in helping us at all. NOTE: they ONLY take cash or personal check? NO DEBIT/ CREDIT CARDS accepted. She told me in a rather rude tone that they "DO NOT take only take personal check or REAL money". Now to be fair it was REALLY hot that day in the middle of a July heat wave so maybe that attributed to it but when I asked if there was an ATM near by as I was walking out she said " If you'd shut that door I'll try and tell you but I'm not cooling the outside". That's not really what I would consider great customer service. We wanted really badly for this to be great but it just missed the mark for us. There is a reproduction of the court house from the Andy Grifffith show located next door which made for some nice photo ops don't miss that. I can't really recommend this tour personally, maybe if you catch the front desk lady in a better mood it would be ok.

3  Thank Doug S
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This location and the people we met here were one of two highlights of my wife and my first ever trip to Mt. Airy...the other highlight was meeting Betty Lynn (Thelma Lou). Being huge Andy Griffith Show fans, the squad car tour was at the top of our “must do” list, and it did not disappoint. Melvin M. was our driver and tour guide. Not only is he extremely knowledgeable about Andy Griffith and the history of Mt. Airy, but he is also a first class gentleman. He took his time on the tour and also took the time to answer our questions as we went along. I have always been intrigued by the story of the original Siamese twins, Eng and Chang Bunker, who were residents of Mt. Airy for a good portion of their lives. What an added bonus that Melvin is a direct descendant of a business partner of the Bunkers, and is a recognized authority on their lives. He shared some fascinating facts about the twins and their descendants that we enjoyed very much. Before and after the squad car tour we spent time enjoying the other features of this location, particularly the courthouse and jail (we took lots of pics), the other vehicles (tow truck and Darlin truck) and drinking a grape Nehi while rocking in front of the service station. We highly recommend this tour (and Melvin) to anyone visiting Mt. Airy and interested in the town and its famous residents.

4  Thank Tom W