Review Highlights
Easily accessible from I-77 or I-40

Reviewed October 1, 2018
hopalongrving
Wilmington, North Carolina
Huge Granite quarry, wish there was tours.

Reviewed August 26, 2018
Steve S
North Branch, Minnesota

All reviews observation area granite quarry awe impressive church visitors mount nc
Reviewed October 1, 2018

NC Granite Corp has over 125 years of experience – this place is huge! We learned that they have been pulling granite from this site since 1889 and could potentially continue for another 500 years! The observation area is accessible by vehicle (tour buses can even fit) or you can park at the office and walk about .25 mile to the viewing area.

We recommend you stop at the office first to grab an informational packet and a sample of the granite they are harvesting. The staff was kind and amused by our excitement.

We used the direction provided on the website and found them easy to follow.

Directions from their website:
The main office building is located one mile east of the center of Mount Airy—follow Route 103, also Pine Street. east and west.

FROM THE NORTH OR SOUTH
I-77 TO EXIT 100, ROUTE 89
EAST 8 MILES THROUGH THE CENTER OF MOUNT AIRY
ONE MILE EAST, THEN EAST ONE MILE ON ROUTE 103(PINE STREET)

FROM THE EAST OR WEST
1-40 TO WINSTON-SALEM
NORTH ON ROUTE 52, 25 MILES
TO MOUNT AIRY.
TURN EAST ON ROUTE 89 AND FOLLOW IT TO THE CENTER OF TOWN.
THEN EAST ONE MILE ON ROUTE 103 (PINE STREET)

We are fellow travelers and have always appreciated when people write about their experiences so we can make informed decisions on what to do while traveling. If this review provided value for you, please hit the “helpful” button so we know we’ve been helpful in your journey. To see more photos of places to visit across America follow us on Instagram: @hopalongrving

1  Thank hopalongrving
Reviewed August 26, 2018

If you're going to Mt Airy it's worth the extra miles to go see the Granite Quarry called Flat Rock. It's a huge quarry but unlike other rock quarries that seem to go deep into the ground this one is almost completely flat. The granite is a very light color, mostly white, and although it has a good view of the quarry through the fence it's difficult to tell how big the pieces really are.

Reviewed April 5, 2018 via mobile

This should be on everyone's must see while in Mount Airy.
Amazing to see the amount of granite and size that the machines can lift. NCGC supplied the granite for the National WWII memorial in DC. Plus many other buildings. They have the worlds largest planer, thus they get huge rocks from around the world to cut and slice.
Do your self a treat and go to the observation area and watch as they cut and move huge pieces of granite as big as a house.
If you ask at the office, they will give you a paper detailing the history of the quarry, and sample.

2  Thank Sue D
Reviewed September 25, 2017

We came here all because of a geocache. I read up on the quarry before leaving home. After doing the touristy things downtown we drove up here to get away from the crowds. Very impressive. The office was closed so we just drove up to the observation area and looked around for a bit. It's amazing how large it is and how much granite is available. Great area to get away from it all.

Reviewed September 5, 2017

Closed on Labor Day, this was a nostalgic visit for my brother and me, because our dad grew up nearby, and took us to see the quarry when we were children. It is unusual, and if you are into seeing the "biggest" or the "only," it is an easy and diverting visit.

Reviewed August 14, 2017 via mobile

We were amazed at the quarry. The lady in the front office was so nice. She gave us a packet of the history and samples of the granite. We took our new Belgian Malinois pup with us!!

Reviewed July 19, 2017

I had never heard of the NC Granite Quarry even though I'm from NC! While visiting in Mt Airy we happened to see it on a may we got at the visitors center. We actually passed by it by several miles & had to turn around & go back. I though it was really neat to the be largest open-faced quarry in the world...in NC !! We didn't stay long or go inside the "office" (trailer) that was on site as it was late in the day & it appeared they were closed. I really enjoyed seeing it however & was glad we went. If I was to return to Mt. Airy, I would try to go when they were open & perhaps get more info.

Reviewed June 18, 2017

Fascinating, breathtaking and just awe-some. A must see if you are in Mount Airy. The shear size of the operation is worth the trip let alone visualizing what they are actually doing.

Reviewed June 4, 2017

We came on our own and we were in awe of the site and place itself. I thought the grounds were just amazing. The quarry is large and has an eye-catching view to knock your socks off. The church on the corner is unbelievable in its details.

Reviewed April 29, 2017

If you have a few extra minutes travel about 2 miles from the downtown area of Mt. Airy. A granite sign with the initials marks the road leading to the quarry. Proceed slowly up the winding gravel drive to the observation area. The quarry stretches on pretty far. If you don't have much free time, I'd skip this.