“Fun with Kids”

Walker's Soda Fountain
Ranked #1 of 6 Dessert in Mount Airy
Cuisines: American
Description: Old fashioned soda fountain - new ownership - use old fashioned glass bowls/dishes. Also serve hotdogs and a couple of other small sandwiches.
Reviewed August 28, 2014

We came on a Thusday, so, wasn't crowded. Service was great and the malts and sodas were very good. Recommended!

Reviewed August 20, 2014

Had lunch at Mayberry Soda Fountain, also known as Walker’s Soda Fountain, with my husband and grandson. My husband and I had club sandwiches and split an order of fries, while my grandson had two hotdogs with fires. Everything was prepared to order, we could smell the bacon frying for our sandwiches! The sandwiches were thick with fresh tomato, bacon, turkey, cheese, and lettuce. The orders of fries were so generous that we ended up asking for a box to take about half of them home. The service was friendly and prompt. They have great selection of bottled soft drinks such as grape and orange Nehi.

1  Thank FiveDaughters
Reviewed August 19, 2014

I remeber this place from when I was a kid. It use to be a Pharmacy that my grandpa frequented that had a soda bar, ice cream, hot dogs, and sandwiches. I ate a many grilled cheese with bacon with Papa Easter here. I stoped in last time in town and got a shake which was still good. We need more places like this out around the country.

1  Thank Donald H
Reviewed August 15, 2014

After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor I was excited to try out this little place. Not a great decision.

The day was rainy and gloomy, the restaurant was empty, not remarkable clean, dull, and drafty. The staff was delightfully cordial and quickly filled the order, but the sandwiches were unremarkable (served on plain sandwich bread) and served with greasy potato chips and a dill pickle.

The shake was good -- generous and topped with a mountain of canned topping -- but truthfully, not worth the calories and heartburn.

2  Thank WendyNairobi
wsfmgr, Manager at Walker's Soda Fountain, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2014

Sorry that you didn't enjoy your visit. It would be nice however if you would give all the details of your visit. If I recall correctly you and your mother were the only ones in our shop at the time. Even though it was raining it was still very humid outside and the air was on. You chose a table that was located right beside an air vent in the floor( I'm sure this is where your draft came from. This building maybe 100 years old but I can assure you it is not drafty since they knew how to build things then.) I am sorry you didn't like your choice of food but usually a Grilled Cheese is a little greasy due to being browned with butter and Potato Chips if not baked are always greasy. Maybe a club on rye with fries would have been a better choice.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

On our 1st visit to Mayberry we stopped in and split a banana split. On June 13th we got married at the old Mayberry courthouse and Walkers was gracious enough to let us bring in our close friends and family to share in banana splits for all. They ordered lunch and ice creams and we had a wonderful time. I love this place and the owners are awesome. I just asked if it would be possible to bring in about 10 if us and they had us tables set up and everything. No long waits and the food and if course the banana splits are Awesome! Thank you Walkers Soda shop!

1  Thank Hoteladvisor88