“Old North State Winery - A Pleasant Surprise”

Old North State Winery and Brewery
Ranked #6 of 32 things to do in Mount Airy
More attraction details
Owner description: Old North State Winery started as a cooperative in 2002 and has since evolved into a winery owned by two families with one vision. Our vineyards were established on farms that have been in our families for generations. We hope you enjoy the culmination of our dreams, our devotion to our farmland, and our passion for our wines produced at Old North State Winery.Most of our wines start out as luscious wine grapes grown on Yadkin Valley North Carolina family farms. We are the Old North State Winery, Inc. located in Mount Airy, in the headwaters of the Yadkin Valley AVA. Wine, beer and fine foods are our passion and our legacy.
Morristown, New Jersey
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“Old North State Winery - A Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Old North State Winery is a pleasant surprise as you stroll around Mount Airy's historical downtown. The wine tasting was reasonably priced at $6 for 5 samples of either sweet or non sweet wines and $9 for the premium wines. North Carolina vineyards supply the grapes that are fermented and bottled in the basement winery. The large, full service, saloon type bar with wooden floors is on the main floor. It makes a perfect backdrop for serving up some pretty good wine. We enjoyed chatting with the wine master as we sipped our fare.

Wine by the glass ranges from $5 to $6 a glass with some $4 per glass specials. You can also order wines by the bottle or case to enjoy at the winery or to go. Food is also served. Tables are available inside by the bar area or outside by the sidewalk.

Visited June 2013

Palm Coast, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“How fun!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

My friend and I stood outside the winery reading the upcoming musical events and a gentleman came out and, smiling and genially told us that he was just about to update the flyer. He then invited us in and when we asked for a wine tasting, escorted us , chatting and joking in the most charming way possible! He sat us at the bar, introduced us to Liz, our pourer and we enjoyed some delicious wines!
After a while we decided to order a light lunch from their deli counter. I had the chicken quesadillas and my friend ordered a BLT.
The food was fantastic!!! My quesadillas were filled to the brim with chicken, sauteed onions and peppers and some delicious cheeses. More than enough for two people! My friends BLT was equally delicious. We ended up buying half a case of wine, and a delicious beer. The greeter turned out to be one of the owners, Joel, who personally invited us back for the Thursday music concert.
We highly recommended this place! It was genuinely a wonderful experience and we are going back whenever we are in the area!!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Trisha B
Toronto, ON
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Thursday night is a blast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

We arrived in the late afternoon and were going have a few beers and wine. A couple of locals took us under their wing and next thing we had new friends. Turns out that Thursday night features live music and the band, whose lead singer reminded me of Boz Scaggs, was great. We even bought their album. And the local people are so friendly they invited us to dance and try our luck at flat footing.

Visited April 2013
STALEY,NC
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Groupon trip, disappointed ;+(”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

Went here on Christas Eve, had a groupon for $14 included wine tasting for 2, 2 sandwiches with chips and a drink. Well Hubby and I arrived hungry so we ate first. I ordered a french dip (roast beef) hubby ordered hot dog meal . My roast beef was real chewy, unedible with stale cabatta bread. Hubby ordered hotdogs with yummy avacado,sour cream, pico,, his bun was also stale and it had potential if the bun was either fresh or toasted. Megan at the wine counter was refreshing and had a nice personality. We had the sweet wine tasting. After all said and done, would of thought we were set with price, the groupon was for $28 worth. We had $15 total in meals, drink included in price, $12 for his and my tasting. Cost us $3.50 still, plus tip. ( I think it was maybe tax, maybe.) Will not return. Wine side real cute , deli side , kinda stale and no decor. But glad Mt Airy has it.

Visited December 2012
Galax, Virginia, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“More bar than winery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

We have done a couple wine tastings here. The tasting is at a bar where other people may be sitting having drinks. I love wine tastings but I don't like going to bars. We liked most of the wines and a generous amout of wine was poured into the glass each time. The service person was more of a bartender than a wine expert, but that's to be expected since it is very "bar-like". The location is in the very quaint downtown Mt. Airy. Worth the stop if you are visiting wineries.

Visited November 2012