“A Mixed Bag”
Review of Pandowdy's Restaurant - CLOSED

Pandowdy's Restaurant
Cuisines: Contemporary
Reviewed March 9, 2013

There are a lot of things I like about Pandowdy's, but there's just enough that I dislike to prevent me from giving it stellar reviews.

I have always enjoyed every mean I have eaten there; however, I have also left still hungry. On one occassion, I decided to go ahead and put an end to my hunger pangs by ordering dessert, but could not get the attention of my waitress to place an order. We waited and waited and tried to flag her down, but she just would not come over.

They have a variety of beers, which is great for a small town. In fact, they have my favorite beer that is impossible to find at any of the local stores. However, much like my previous comment, getting an additional beer is often difficult due to the poor service.

I suppose, the best lesson to learn is that once she drops the check on the table, your dining experience is over, whether you like it or not.

The restaurant is quite cozy, but if you go when it is busy, don't expect to get a seat anytime soon because it is quite small.

1  Thank turtledovelove

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Although we no longer live in Mt. Airy, we love going back to Pandowdy's whenever we're in town. Good food. Great beer selection. ACC basketball. Great conversation with fellow patrons.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

While in Mount Airy for "Mayberry Days" we discovered Pandowdy's while looking for a restaurant for dinner with friends. My steak was incredibly delicious, very tender and very tasty. We can only imagine that the lunch fare is of an equally excellent level, so if in Mount Airy, skip the tasteless pork chop sandwich at Snappy and take a very short walk to Pandowdy's for some good food.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stopped for lunch while visiting Mt. Airy. It was recommended the evening before by a businessman that frequently visits the area.
It is not a tourist attraction and not a fancy place. Does not take credit cards, only cash or checks.
It is a great spot for an old fashioned lunch or dinner with an owner (Bob) who has been doing this for decades and one of the few old time NY Giant and Yankee fans in the area. Burgers on a flat top grill, so they char perfectly on the outside. Ours were a little overdone, but juicy and flavorful none the less. Excellent Homemade potato salad and soup. Menu had normal sandwiches, with some local and German items. Bob learned his trade in the military while serving in Germany. Dinner has more options such as Jagersnitizel platters and steak. Over 40 imported beers at reasonable prices. Add the friendly service and low prices and it certainly is a good spot to stop.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

We took a ride to Mt. Airy for their Fall Festival. It was nice walking around but we wanted to sit and eat a relaxed meal inside and came across this restaurant. Luckily, there was one booth open for us.
Their menu featured a pork snitzel sandwich which I ordered and I really enjoyed it. The pork cutlet was crispy but not dry. My husband had a burger melt that he said was very good as well as their fries.
It is a friendly neighborhood place and if I was in Mt. Airy, I would eat there again!
Please note - this restaurant only takes cash or checks which could be a problem if you weren't prepared for that! In today's world, that is unusual.