“stayed in Bestwestern and ate late dinner”

Brintle's Homestyle Restaurant
Ranked #33 of 105 Restaurants in Mount Airy
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed May 18, 2014

we stayed for 2 night at the hotel and the first night was tired so just went down to the restaurant to eat. The service was good but not crazy about the food. We got the buffet it looked good BUT chicken was dry and M/C was awful. My parents said it was ok but we didn't like it. The next evening coming back after a Bluegrass concert in Mayberry we stop for a bite to eat. We 9 family member who met us there for the weekend so we set in the same area. We got out drinks and gave our orders. It took 45 minutes to get our food! I order off the menu hamburger and homemade chips which was very good. So I guess it depends on what you get and the time you are there. Our server both times we were there was Alison. She was very friendly and did a great job.

1  Thank Teresa M

Reviewed April 21, 2014

First off, we drove way too long before stopping to eat. But, we assumed that Truck Stops/Travel Plazas had changed for the better since the 1980s, and there was nothing else around. Before I say anything else, the young lady who was assisting us (Farrah) was very sweet, kind, and went out of her way to help us find something we liked. (Maybe we are too NY/NJ for this?) Anyway, when you're starving, it's a good idea to have some tea or something before you figure out what you want to eat. So I asked for decaf or herbal tea. They had neither. We thought maybe a diner-type place would have a good salad. Nope. There was something they called a "Salad Bar", but it was lettuce, some dried out cucumbers and I think tomato slices, plus canned beans and beets and chocolate pudding. They very kindly offered me a small salad and cup of soup for a reasonable price, which I accepted and felt better after eating. My husband got a Philly Steak which he said was surprisingly good, and the homemade potato chips were actually delicious. One of my daughters finally figured out she could get a bowl of fresh fruit and mac and cheese, the other one finally ordered some chicken tenders. These, too, were surprisingly decent, a little bit rancid oily smelling, nothing different from what you'd find on a cruise ship, but pure white meat. The ladies' room was not that clean, and condom vending machines outnumber the tampon machines 2:1. (Actually it was just that - two and one.) If you need those items, apparently this is where to stop.

I personally would look for another place to stop, but if you have to stop at a Truck Stop/Travel Plaza, this is not as bad as they were in the 1980s, and the people who work there are just super-nice and helpful. Actually, they were so nice that I felt bad I didn't like their food!

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We stopped for lunch and chose the buffet. I really liked the stuffed peppers, very tasty, in fact one of the best I have had. Unfortunately the vegetables tasted like they were right out of a can, the cole slaw seemed somewhat sawdusty, and the fish was greasy. Service was good and friendly.

Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

We came in at 9 pm after traveling all day. The family ate fried flounder, broiled rainbow trout, strip steak, pulled pork dinner and roast beef dinner. Everything was delicious and our server, Farrah, was a delight and very good with our overtired children. Sweet tea is amazing!

2  Thank DarkHorseWins
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I'm so glad we resisted the convenience of the national chain restaurants along the highway to try Brintle's who's parking lot was filled with trucks. My Carolina barbecue pork was amazing. I liked that it was not too spicy. The waitress was very friendly. The food didn't come super fast, but they were actually cooking it, not just heating something, so it was worth it. The decor was classic flashy diner with neon and a James Dean poster.

1  Thank RoderickPA