“Excellent value”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Mount Airy
Oberlin, Ohio
“Excellent value”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on a Friday night on our way to Wilmington, NC from northern Ohio. We make the drive frequently since our daughter lives in Wilmington and we had until now not found a nice place that lies more or less halfway between the two locations. We will certainly be back. The hotel was very clean and quiet and the front desk folks were helpful and friendly. The breakfast was standard for a Holiday Inn Express although the breakfast room was quite large and very comfortable. There are also a number of fairly good restaurants in the area.
Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sue S
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Thank you for the taking the time to let us know about your most current experience at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites located in Mount Airy, North Carolina. Our goal is to meet your needs from a clean comfortable room to friendly staff and I can see we did that.

Sounds like you just found your halfway stop for your future trips to visit your daughter.

Thanks for the wonderful recommendation and we will see you the next time!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 20, 2013

My co-workers and I stayed at this hotel for a couple of days during a work trip. Janice at the front desk was a wonderful surprise. She was warm and friendly every evening when we returned to the hotel, always greeting us with a smile and a warm welcome. Her dinner recommendations were spot on. We try to avoid chains and enjoy local establishments and she was able to provide great recommendations for some of the best meals I have had while traveling.

The hotel room was large and clean. Bath and Body Works shampoo, conditioner and lotion were provided in the bathroomm, so I didn't have to worry about bringing my own on the plane. No issues with using the WiFi. Overall, it was a nice hotel and I will be staying here again when I visit my vendor again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank cburg0601
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this review, December 24, 2013

I will pass on your comments to Janice and I am glad you like the restaurants she recommended for you.

Earth
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Our room was very spacious, with a large bathroom.
The shower was excellent.
The bed was excellent.
Good quality towels.
Good quality and easy to use luggage cart.

Some improvements needed:

We were told at front desk that there will be a Manager Reception with snacks from 17:30 to 19:00.
At other hotels it is a real meal, so we waited for it and did not go out to a restaurant.
They served white or red wine, or a soft drink. Chips, cheese cubes and a dip that looked like ketchup. That was all.
We were very disappointed. Either you serve a light meal, or you serve nothing.

Breakfast was minimal, with American unhealthy items. There was no fruit salad, no walnuts, no raisins, to cranberries, no almonds. Not even an apple.

Intending to use the coin operated laundry, we went to ground floor, to the room with the sign LAUNDRY on its door. We tried to open it with our room card, but it didn't open. We went to front desk, the lady there swiped our room key in order to fix it and we went to the laundry again. It still didn't work. Another lady at front desk told us that it is not the guests laundry, it is the hotel laundry, that's why our key card didn't open it. The lady at front desk said that that confusion happens all the time. If same confusion happens all the time it means that the sign on the door is confusing, so why don't they change it?

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AllKnowMother
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
IHG, the franchisor, allows a Holiday Inn to have a manager’s reception during the evening hours that you can serve light cold snacks and beverages such as soda, beer and wine. I am sorry that you thought you were under the impression that you would be receiving a meal. Not all Holiday Inn Express Hotels or any other midscale hotel allow more then snacks at a manager’s reception. Overall we get many excellent comments on our manager’s reception for a way to unwind for the day.

Regarding our hot breakfast program, you will find the same consistent breakfast at all Holiday Inn Express Hotels in the United States. We have standards that IHG has set for our Holiday Inn Express brand.

We do offer a guest laundry on first floor. Yes the room that you were trying to enter was the hotel laundry room. I am sorry that the front desk was a little confused on your request and did not guide to the guest laundry room.

Overall I would like to thank you for your comments.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay here. The room was clean & comfortable. Shower worked well, but bath sink hot water took a long time. WiFi was OK.
The indoor pool was clean & warm. The breakfast was uninspiring, just basic fare. The location was safe & convenient to get to other nearby destinations.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Atravelingspirit
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Willow Spring, North Carolina
Reviewed November 25, 2013

My husband and I visiting Pilot Mountain stayed here instead of one of the B&B's right by the park. Though it is Pet friendly which is usually a turnoff for us. You couldn't tell it. It is also one of the newest hotels in the area which makes it great as well. I am very picky when it comes to a clean place since I run a cleaning service. But I give this hotel 4.75 stars. A couple small things caught my eye. Shower was a little dusty on the front ledge by the doors and the pool area had a few small things on the pebble surround which you wouldn't notice unless at eye level. But sheets and room were VERY clean. And the front desk ladies were great. Also food was very good at the breakfast bar.
We would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SLOWifey
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this review, November 27, 2013

Wilson, North Carolina
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Front desk very friendly and breakfast the next morning was great. The main attraction was "Shirley" who ran the complimentary wine bar. She was entertaining, informative, and her enthusiasm for life was most impressive. I recently moved to North Carolina and my three high school girl friends came here to visit me. It was a great start to our NC travels.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dawn W
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
I don’t know what to say but thank you for the wonderful words about our hotel. We take great pride in our hotel and staff and are strive to make everyone’s stay a pleasant one and I can see we met all those goals with you. I will pass on your comments to Shirley.

I am so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the local wine selection we use during our Manager’s Reception Monday thru Thursday.
Pratt
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Absolutely a fantastic Holiday Inn Express, from check in to check out. Location is fantastic, close to eating establishments and filling stations. Our room (suite) was HUGE! We had a hot tub, 2 lovely chairs that faced a faux fireplace (loved the atmosphere) and a very comfortable king size bed. We have been on the road for 2 weeks and this was the best hotel we have stayed at in a long time. The beverage and snack reception was a nice touch.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor as the elevator can take awhile.