“Two Thumbs Up For The Mount Airy, North Carolint Team and Operation”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Mount Airy
Muskoka, Ontario, Canada
“Two Thumbs Up For The Mount Airy, North Carolint Team and Operation”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

What a great hotel! The employees were amazing; they were very friendly and knowledgeable. The front desk staff were great!
Our room was very clean with lovely décor. Our bed was very comfortable.
We loved our wine and cheese reception when we arrived; Shirley is a gem!
Thank You Mount Airy, North Carolina. From your friends to the North.
Muskoka, ON, Canada

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sharon P
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
I don’t know what to say but thank you for the wonderful words about our hotel. We take great pride in our hotel and staff and are strive to make everyone’s stay a pleasant one and I can see we met all those goals with you. I will pass on your comments to Shirley.

I am so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the local wine selection we use during our Manager’s Reception Monday thru Thursday.
Thanks for the wonderful recommendation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Orange Park, Florida
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Great staff who were helpful. Wine and cheese reception Mon - Thursday. One of the better hot breakfasts on the circuit. Rooms large and well decorated and furnished. Refrigerator and A/C noisy. We spent 2 nights along with other family members in 2 more rooms. We all felt the hotel was a bargain. Many restaurants nearby.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the taking the time to let us know about your most current experience at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites located in Mount Airy, North Carolina. Our goal is to meet your needs with a clean, comfortable room and friendly staff, and from your comments we achieve all our goals.

Hope to see you again if you travel takes you back to the Mount Airy area.
Smithfield, North Carolina
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Phoned for a reservation and was informed that I couldn't get the military rate because these rooms were already booked. I was told by Janice at the front desk, that I could get an AARP or AAA discount, if I was a member of either of these organizations. It seems strange that these were available but the Military discount was unavailable. After asking questions I was informed that the AAA and AARP discounts were less than the Military discount. It became clear that we were being being gouged because there was a festival taking place this weekend in town. I needed a room so I booked the room at the AAA rate. Upon checkout, I was again duped by Janice. She had given me the AAA rate for one night but not for the three nights as was negotiated on the phone when I made the reservation.

This hotel was great until about a year ago and then things began to change. Notas customer friendly and not Military friendly. I have attempted to get the Military discount on several occasions this past year and it is never available, but amazingly the AAA or AARP discounts are always offered. If not going to honor the veterans discount, don't advertise it.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are much quieter. The other floors are very loud and noisy.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you for the taking the time to let us know about your most current experience at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites located in Mount Airy, North Carolina. Our goal is to meet your needs with a clean, comfortable room and friendly staff.

Hotel rooms are much like seats on an airplane; if you reserve early and many rooms are available, you will pay less; if you reserve closer to the time that the services are needed, and fewer rooms are available, you will pay more. Your stay happened to occur during a very busy weekend and our Government Rate was not available. Just like any other rate plan the Government rate is not always available for special events or weekends.

I am sorry that you felt like things have changed since your last stay. Our front desk staff has been the same for the past year with many excellent comments.
Pittsburgh
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed three nights to visit and explore Mayberry USA and vicinity, Our first clue was the happy hour with complementary wine and cheese. The host gave us an insiders view of the area while we enjoyed our wine. The room was clean and well maintained. The staff was user friendly and very helpful. The Breakfast was also a positive experience. We definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hstewartperry
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this review, October 14, 2013

I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast. It is nice to wake up to a hot breakfast, and the Holiday Inn Express & Suites has one of the best.

Thanks for the wonderful recommendation.
Virginia
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This was our first trip to the Mount Airy area so we knew nothing about the area. This is one of the most beautiful Holiday Inn properties that we have stayed in and we stay in a lot. The staff was wonderful and the lodging rooms were very clean and comfortable. We had a suite which was very large and the bathroom was large for a hotel. Carolyn was very helpful and friendly when she checked us in. The other front desk staff appeared to be friendly and helpful also. Obviously, the hotel is fairly new and has been well maintained. The hotel sits back from the street but yet is convenient to restaurants. There is even a Wal-Mart just out of the street, as well as many fast food restaurants as well as more relaxed chain restaurants. It is not too far from the historic district, which is really neat. We did not use the pool or exercise room so I cannot comment on those. The only negative statement I can make is about the breakfast area. The two attendants were not very attentive as the food got very low, as well as the coffee. One morning, the trash cans were overflowing with food all around them with dirty tables and food under the tables. This did not appear to bother the two attendants. Other than that, our stay was wonderful and we would certainly return if we were in the area.

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor overlooking the street and mountain in the distance, which was great...
1 Thank jfoxs58
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this review, October 10, 2013

I will bring your comments regarding our breakfast area to my staff. Thank you for letting me know your thoughts regarding this area.

I am glad to hear that you will return to our hotel if you are ever planning on visiting this area again.
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed three nights at this HI Express as our "home base" while visiting the Mt Airy area. It was a positive experience overall. We we close to everything we wanted to see.."Mayberry", the state parks and the Blue Ridge Parkway. The staff was friendly & helpful; the property very well maintained and our suite was spotless. Breakfast was good with one minor disappointment...the only meat served was sausage gravy. If you are not a fan of this, then you are out of luck for breakfast meats.

The negatives while few need to be mentioned. The drinking water was so chlorinated it tasted as if it had been pumped directly from the pool! Also, a large group of youth basketball players were staying at the hotel while in town for a tournament. Overall, this group definitely lacked adult supervision. The girls ran up and down the halls, yelling late into the evening and very early in the morning. They took over the breakfast room, leaving a large mess on both Sat. & Sun. mornings. They also took over the pool and hot tub to the point other guests couldn't use them. This group's behavior was not the fault of the hotel of course, but I think the staff could have done more to calm things down.

If we decide to visit the area again, we will chose this hotel, but will check on large groups staying here before making reservations.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank E L

In regards to the breakfast that we serve. Each day we change our meat selection from Ham, bacon, sausage links, sausage patties to sausage gravy. During the weekend we trend for the sausage gravy with biscuits.

We try our best to control the noise levels when there is youth tournaments. We do work with each team to make sure they are controlling their groups, however that does not happen all the time. I do apologize for that and we will continue to enforce this with team coaches.

Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed three nights here to visit Mabry Mill on the parkway in Virginia as well as some other sites in the area. Great hotel and great rate on the Holiday Inn website. Only negative was the battery giving out at 3:45am in our smoke detector in our room. Guess staff can't predict that happening :)

• Stayed September 2013
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this review, September 29, 2013

I am so sorry that the smoke detector woke you up. I hope you brought this to our manager on duty.

I hope you enjoyed your time in Mount Airy and hope to see you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Airy
Hampton Inn & Suites Dobson
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#1 of 2 in Pilot Mountain

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South? Share your experiences!