Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Mount Airy
Appomattox, Virginia
“Nice Stay”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed here two nights Thursday the 27th and Friday the 28th. We have stayed at this hotel before and will return again. This hotel is clean and the staff was friendly. The only negative was breakfast. Previously we have stayed and enjoyed a wonderful breakfast. This time at 8 am on Friday Morning there was nothing. Everything was empty. The famous cinnamon rolls were gone, the pancake maker wasnt working, the coffee was empty, there were no biscuits, eggs or sausage. I realize that Mayberry Days weekend is a busy time but wish that the hotel would have provided extra staff to ensure that the breakfast bar was kept full. Other than breakfast our stay was wonderful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our Mt. Airy, NC Holiday Inn Express. I would like to apologize for the breakfast not being there for you especially when you were looking forward to it and were disappointed. We did have extra staff that morning, but we fell short taking care of our guests’ needs that morning.

We take great pride in our hotel being clean and friendly staff. I am happy that you were satisfied with that part of your stay.

Again, please accept my apologies regarding the breakfast. I hope when you are in this area again, you will consider us for your lodging needs.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were very pleased with our stay at this hotel. The staff was friendly, the hotel is well maintained and clean, and the rooms are nicely-sized and comfortable. It's also conveniently located. A nice addition to our "Mayberry" experience and a wise choice if you're staying in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding our Mt. Airy, NC Holiday Inn Express & Suites. We take great pride in our hotel and friendly staff and are happy we met your expectations for a pleasant experience.

I am glad you enjoyed the “Mayberry” feeling during your stay. Each September Mt. Airy hosts the Annual Mayberry Days which has many attractions and activities that contribute to a wonderful stay. So many of us remember growing up with “The Andy Griffith Show” and the nostalgia we feel when visiting Mt. Airy.

Again, thank you for sharing your wonderful comments with us.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We stopped over in Mt. Airy on our way North and really enjoyed the motel. It's only 2 1/2 yrs old so everything is still top notch. The staff was very friendly and offered us a bottle of water and a snack because we were Priority Club members. The room was large and nicely appointed. The bath was an adequate size with a nice large shower (no tub). Breakfast was the typical motel breakfast. My husband got a kick out of the pancake maker. My only negatives are that they should have a little micro/fridge combo in the rooms and the wireless internet was not working while we were there. Otherwise, we couldn't have been happier.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the wonderful comments you posted regarding our Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Mt. Airy, NC. We take pride in our hotel and staff, and I am glad we met your expectations.

I apologize for the wireless internet not working. If I had known that the wireless internet was not working, steps would have been taken to address the issue at that time.

We only have a limited number of rooms that have micro/fridges. When making your next reservation, please ask for a room with a micro/fridge.

Again, thank you for your comments, and I am glad that you were happy with your stay.
Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I were on our way to florida for our honeymoon when we stayed the night at this establishment. The front desk associate greeted us kindly. We booked a room in the jacuzzi suite and we were surprised at how nice this suite was. We ended up booking this room for on our way home as well. The price was also excellent! A word of advice, do NOT order pizza from the papa johns across the street!

• Stayed June 2012
Trudy W, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
First I would like to congratulate you both on your marriage. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and were happy with your accommodations. There are other restaurants choices in the area that are close by and will deliver also. We are excite to know that you are returning to visit us on your return trip. We look forward to seeing you both again soon.
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My husband & I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Mt Airy South for one night recently on a trip back home from taking our youngest daughter to college at Rensselaer in upstate New York. I actually have a very positive review but just want to get a couple of little nit-picky things out of the way. First, the elevator is really slow & there is only one. It was not slow because it was heavily used(week night stay), it was just slow(kind of matched the pace of life in this quaint little town). Not a problem for us but could be for others. The only other problem we had was finding a long black hair in the bathtub. This is something that kind of disgusts me but wouldn't keep me from staying here again. Also, management really needs to consider raising the hotel sign out by the road. It is low to the ground & covered partially by a tree-we passed it twice before noticing it finally.

Ok, on for the good parts. Our room was huge-classified as a "king suite". The bed was super comfortable with crisp clean bedding. It had a desk/chair, an easy chair with ottoman, lots of floor space, plenty of lighting, a pull out sofa and the a/c worked well. There was a kitchen area with a larger room frig, microwave, sink, utensils & coffee maker. The bathroom(other than the hair in the tub)was very clean with a combo tub/shower, decent lighting, & large vanity. I personally liked the full-length mirror on the wall outside the bathroom.

We were only in town for one meal out & can highly recommend 13 Bones. It was very good!! There are a lot of other food options in town though. Breakfast was the usual HIE fare-nothing special except the warm & gooey cinnamon rolls.

Would highly recommend this hotel & will stay again when we are road-tripping back & forth to New York state for the next 4 or 5 years!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank stinkytoes10
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
We wish you could have stayed longer too. Maybe on your return trip to see you daughter you will be able to stay longer with us at the Holiday Inn Express in Mount Airy, North Carolina.

Regarding the elevator issues. The elevator is only for a four story hotel with the speed being regulated because of the height of the hotel. With the hotel having 74 guest rooms, only one elevator is required by law. The speed of the elevator is set by the manufacture.

I would like to thank you for comments on the guest room cleanliness about the hair you found in the bathtub. I will address this with our housekeeping department to make sure that this does not happen again.

The Mount Airy, North Carolina has height restrictions when it comes to signage. All our signage is at the maximum height allowed by the KFC and US 601.

Again I would like to thank you for your comments and look forward to seeing you on your next visit through the Mount Airy, North Carolina area.
Coastal South Carolina, South Carolina
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We spent one night here while traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway. The hotel is very easy to find with many restaurant choices in the area. The customer service was excellent. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is fairly new with exceptionally clean rooms. Breakfast was sufficient. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TennesseeDaisy
I hope you enjoyed your travels on the Blue Ridge Parkway. This time of the year that drive is so enjoyable. As I read your comments I am so happy that you found our Holiday Inn Express in Mount Airy, North Carolina wonderful. We strive hard to provide a clean and comfortable room.

I would also like to thank you for comments regarding our customer service as being helpful and friendly.

I hope to see you the next time that your lodging travels takes you through the Mount Airy, North Carolina area.
Corning, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Clean hotel and well maintained. Easy to find. Staff was friendly. Price was reasonable. Standard Holiday Inn Express breakfast. Fast food restaurants and gas stations nearby. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
I would like to thank you for staying with us on your most recent visit to the Mount Airy, North Carolina Holiday Inn Express.

We take pride in our hotel and I am happy to hear that we met your expectations for a comfortable stay while visiting us. You are also so correct that we located right in the middle of many restaurant choices.

As you stated I hope to see you again if your future lodging needs takes you through the Mount Airy, North Carolina area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Airy
Quality Inn
#6 of 8 in Mount Airy
Hampton Inn & Suites Dobson
Fairfield Inn & Suites Elkin Jonesville

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South? Share your experiences!