“Incompetent front desk staff, overpriced”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Raleigh-Durham Airport
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Morrisville
Virginia
“Incompetent front desk staff, overpriced”
Reviewed March 1, 2008

Let me say this first...we will NEVER go back to that motel ever again. After the way we were treated we are considering a lawsuit. At first we thought the place was great, a little overpriced but pretty nice. At least it is pet free and smoke free, which is great for chronic allergy sufferers. But then problems started to creep up. The living room was dusty, we found silverfish in the bathroom. Then we started to get overpriced. And then when my credit card stopped working for charges we weren't told for days until one night at midnight we are suddenly told that unless we paid them hundreds of dollars that would have to leave immediately. Well their computer could have warned us that the card wasn't able to afford the entire amount days ago and then we could have arranged something. Instead they called the cops and made us leave when we couldn't get any other payment at that moment in time (since it was midnight on a Saturday). The front desk clerks were freaking out because my wife was sick and they wanted to call cops, ambulances and all sorts of things because they thought we were trying to take advantage of them. They even wanted to confiscate our things in lieu of payment. The police told the front desk that they were abusing their authority, but the damage had already been done.
So I don't recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed February 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Sneemaster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Ohio
Reviewed May 28, 2007

Did a late night check-in at this hotel. Met with a grumpy front desk attendant, who seemed like he did not want to be bothered. Gave us a queen-sized room, though we had reserved a king. On pressing, he said they were sold out. Ok. So I thought it’s only for a night.... we'd manage.

Very small room. Everything seemed crammed in. Maybe typical of airport hotels, but I have definitely seen better.

Multiple towels in the bathroom had hair on them or within the folds (GROSS!!). Hair in sink, tub and floor. Water spots on all the faucets. Room was definitely not cleaned properly. I was too tired to complain.

Next morning, breakfast included. Pretty standard continental breakfast, waffles were nice. However, no spray to help prevent them from sticking. When the kitchen assistant (who also seemed grumpy and did not want to be bothered) was asked about a spray, she said they sprayed it once in the morning!! Then, she snatched the tongs from our hands and proceeded to take the waffles out for us! Everyone around was having the same problem. So, not having a non-stick spray at hand made no sense. The worst thing was that while we were eating at the table, she got a housekeeping staff to help her empty the trash bin right next to us, which included shaking out the garbage bags, etc. Can only imagine what was flying on to our food. Did not notice her wash her hands after that either.... and she continued to proceed to work with the food.

And that wasn't the end. At 12:15pm (check out was at noon) I called the front desk and told them we were checking out. The lady said, "Oh are you checking out? I extended your reservation for 2 nights because you didn't check out at noon." Considering I had checked in around 3 am, I did not think, that would be such a big deal. When I clarified that we were checking out and were running a little late, she changed the check out day in her system. I told her we would need a little extra time, would be done in ~ 15 mins (no big deal in many other hotels, when you run into a situation). Ok. Instead of 15 mins, it became 25. Just as we were leaving the room, the phone rang. It was the front desk lady again who said that if we didn't check out before 1 pm, they would charge us an additional 1/2 day rate!!!

Overall, I would give the hotel "0" for hygiene, customer service and attitude!!

I had a reservation for the same hotel a week later. Needless to say, I canceled it.

• Stayed May 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank WholeTruth
CountryRDU, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Raleigh-Durham Airport, responded to this review, January 29, 2010
I understand that this review is from a few years ago. I am a part of the new management and thought we should respond.
At the time of the review we just read it and took action within property to improve ourselves. The perception this guest had of us was not something we wanted another guest to experience. We did not think that writing a response at that time would make a difference.
The breakfast garbage receptacle was moved to a less intrusive location. Front desk staff, housekeepers, and breakfast attendants have read the review to see how our actions and attitude affect the guest’s stay. We feel like we have improved service and attitude ten fold and would like to say thank you to the guest for bringing this to our attention. We do value your opinions of us and use the comments to improve ourselves.
Durham, NC
Reviewed March 1, 2007

We held our wedding reception at Country Inn & suites in June of 2006. All of our guests really had a great time and enjoyed thier stay. The rooms are very clean, spacious and nicely decorated, and there is a great continental breakfast. I highly reccommend this hotel!

• Liked — service & honeymoon suite
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank NCcheesehead
New York
Reviewed December 9, 2006

I am always looking for somewhere nice to stay because I travel to Jacksonville, NC frequently to see my daughter whose husband is in the military and there is nothing nice there. The flights out of Raleigh are cheaper so I stayed at the Country Inn the night before going home, since the flight was at 6am and it is a 2 1/2 hour drive from Jacksonville. The Country Inn has free airport shutttle which arrived on time and a free breakfast, although leaving at 4:30 in the morning meant no breakfast for me. That was my only beef...nothing available that early in the morning except coffee and i drink tea. But the hotel was quiet , has a beautiful indoor pool, the room was clean and had a couch and kitchenette. I will definitely stay here again.

1 Thank Goodlife55
Oviedo, Florida
Reviewed June 12, 2006

Stayed one night prior to an early flight out of RDU. This hotel was spotless! Very warm, cozy feeling greets you in the lobby and continues into the room. Check in was quick and the clerk arranged a shuttle to pick me up at Hertz after I dropped off my rental.

Our suite was HUGE! It included a large living room with a pullout sofa and a kitchen area with granite countertops and a dinette set. The separate bedroom, also huge, had two very comfortable queen beds and a large, very clean bathroom. We were very comfortable there.

In the AM, we had Belgian waffles and coffee (many other selections were offered). I understand they have an indoor pool although I never had the opportunity to check it out. We waited for the shuttle out on the covered porch area.....very nice. Shuttle service to the airport was prompt as we signed up for a specific time the night before (they ask you when you check in).

All in all a great hotel that I will use again without question while traveling in the Raleigh area!

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank rtpac
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 6, 2006

Our company reserved suites as well as meeting rooms for a corporate event. EVERYTHING was great. Ashley and Randy and the rest of the staff went out of their way to make sure each of our guests were comfortable. Our event required a lot of planning, and even when we had changes in our schedule the staff worked with us to make sure our requirements were met.
The rooms were visually appealing, comfortable and extraordinarily clean.

Great place to stay, I recommend highly!

Stayed July 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morrisville
Cambria hotel & suites Raleigh-Durham Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Raleigh International Airport
Hyatt Place Raleigh-Durham Airport
Hampton Inn Raleigh Durham Airport
Fairfield Inn & Suites Raleigh-Durham Airport/Brier Creek
HYATT house Raleigh Durham Airport

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Raleigh-Durham Airport? Share your experiences!