“Nice Bar for Solo Dining”

Capital City Chop House
Ranked #10 of 158 Restaurants in Morrisville
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pleasant Grove Church Road
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I was staying at a hotel across the street, and wanted a casual dinner that was not a chain or fast food. I was very pleased with the upscale, yet welcoming atmosphere. I sat at the bar and interacted with others who were also dining alone. The bartender was very helpful in assisting me make my dinner and drink selections. The food was good in both presentation and taste. I will definitely return.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

My wife and I decided to head back to Capital City Chophouse for New Year's Eve after recommendations from several friends. We hadn't been for a couple years because some things had changed with the menu and the bread and we had some slow service issues.

Well, we were pleasantly surprised on New Year's Eve. Service was great, food was great, portions were very good, and price was good. Needless to say, it's back on our list of places to visit.

We started with the crab dip which even my wife who doesn't like seafood had her share of. We had the special which was $75 for 8 oz filets, salads, 1 side each, 2 glasses of wine, and a shared dessert. The ceasar salad was outstanding and very large. The filet tasted great. Both our filets were slightly undercooked for medium but not enough to send back. The shared dessert of chocolate cheesecake also hit the spot. The bread seemed to also be back to what we remembered from several years ago...a change that pleased us.

All in all a great experience and we'd highly recommend the Chophouse.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

My wife and I had dinner for our 4th wedding anniversary last night at Capital City Chophouse. This was our first visit there even though we learned it had been in business for nearly 10 years. Wow, were we missing out.

It is not located in a spot where you would stumble across it. You almost have to know it's there or be going to one of the hotels that is next to it in order to 'just find it'. But once we got, we were glad we did. We did not have a reservation ... we were early and it was Monday night. We were seated right away, and our server was there promptly. The menu has plenty of choices, but consist of only one page, so it is not overpowering with selections. We ordered our drinks which were quickly brought to us. We ordered a shrimp cocktail appetizer. After a few minutes it arrived. The shrimp we quite large and very tasty. The thing that I liked the most was that they did not spare the cocktail sauce. Usually you order shrimp cocktail and they give you the sauce with an eye dropper. That was not the case here. Plenty of very flavorful sauce with the 6 large shrimp. There was even sauce left over.

By this time we had placed our order. My wife and I both had fillet mignon. I got loaded baked potatoe, mushrooms, and a ceasar salad. The ceasar dressing was not as flavorful as most, but it was creamy and it was good. The salad was large and not disappointing. The fillet's were cooked PERFECTLY. They had good flavor and almost 'melted' in your mouth. One of the best steaks I have had in a long time. The loaded baked potatoe was a little dry for my liking, but it was huge and quite filling. My wife had pasta with alfredo sauce and mushrooms with her steak. She enjoyed the pasta. Now to the mushrooms ..... incredible. They were amazingly good. They were an additional side that we paid for on each of our meals, but they were so worth the $3.50 they cost.

Then we moved on to dessert. We had a Swiss triple layer cake. It was chocolate cake, cheesecake, and chocolate cheesecake together. I was expecting more of the regular cheesecake, but it was so good. It is not listed on the dessert menu, so they don't always have it, but if they do when you are there .... get it.

There were two drawbacks that give this restaurant a 4 instead of a 5. The bread was a little hard .... not a biggy, but it did take away; and the potatoe was dry. In order to get a 5 all things should be as close to perfect as possible. The service was stellar and we would/and will eat here again.

So if you are near RDU and looking for a great meal, give Capital City Chophouse a try. If you plan to eat from 6pm on ... you may want to make a reservation. We did not have one, but they got extremely busy ater 6 considering it was a Monday night.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

I had to coordinate a business dinner for 9 people, including the CEO, that was convenient to multiple hotels and could accommodate us in a venue where we could also hold discussions, yet not break the bank. Capital City made everything great. I was able to make reservations the day of the event, and the table was ready for us upon arrival. They even were able to accommodate a late addition to the party. Wait staff was attentive, but not overbearing. Meals were served together, and all done to perfection. Everyone commented on the flavor of the food as exceeding expectations. Wine list, while not extensive, was adequate and reasonably priced. We were there three hours, and had no pressure to vacate the table. Overall the dining experience was truly first class, was commented on favorably by all, even the next day, and was very reasonably priced for such a great experience and excellent food.

Admittedly, we were mostly from the Washington DC area, but this was a meal that, for the price we paid, was truly exceptional. We had rejected other retaurants locally because their price point seemed way too high, whereas Capital City was moderate, and well below DC area averages.

We will be back.

Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

The food was outstanding!!! They took last minute reservations, the casual dress code was so needed as soccer was more on the lust of activities and not fine dining. This was fine dining at its best!!! Atmosphere was charming. We felt as if we were in a library, a warm, fire-crackling, quiet room...not stuffy at all. Service was good but had to wait for our bill. However this was the Best food we have had in a very long time!!!!