“Good Vietnamese”

Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
“Good Vietnamese”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

I had been craving Pho for some time when I heard about this place. We came out for an early dinner around 5:30 on a Sunday. There were only a few tables occupied when we arrived but it was filling up by the time we left. Interesting strip mall with lots of ethnic representation.

I ordered the Filet Mignon Pho and my wife got the Shaken Beef. Both were excellent.
The Pho was piping hot and plentiful. The portion of beef was adequate and colored nicely once added to the bowl along with the sprouts, basil and peppers. Very flavorful. My only reservation is with the noodles. They were cooked and tasted fine, but were too clumped together for my taste. It was difficult to separate them and avoid hauling out a giant ball of noodles with my chopsticks. I spent quite awhile trying to separate them into smaller clumps and actually managed to free some. Not terrible, but it did detract from enjoying the meal.
The Shaken Beef was excellent. Very nice portion and lots of onions. Nothing at all negative to say about that.

The service was good. Friendly, attentive and came back to check on us a couple times. I only had water but it didn't get empty before they refilled it.

I would come back again and may try to talk a lunch group into stopping by sometime.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank nittanydave

Durham, North Carolina
“Excellent food, friendly service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014

Had heard good things about this place in a strip mall in Morrisville. We have been fans of Vietnamese food since our trip there in late 2012. Taste recreates those flavors as well as any restaurant in the area.

We started by splitting an order of a variation on a summer roll. Instead of slices of pork or a couple of split shrimp under the rice paper, there was a strip of a fried shrimp paste running through it. It was fresh and tasty.

I had the Special Saigon Vermicelli plate. There were strips of an excellent BBQ pork, chunks of egg roll, two shrimp that were perfectly cooked, and pieces of minced shrimp wrapped in tofu skin and fried. All this was over rice noodles and a splash of salad on the side.

My wife had the filet mignon pho. The broth was the best I've had, even in Vietnam! the thin slices of meat looked beautiful. She said they were great - I didn't get an offer to taste those.

The only alcohol there are 3 beers - Export 33 (Vietnamese), Heineken, and Corona. I ordered an Export 33 but they were out. So I had a Heineken which was a better choice anyway as all the Vietnamese beers I've had (including Export 33) taste just like the mass-market American beers (Bud, Coors, etc.)

The wait staff were very friendly and attentive. Our main server comes from Hanoi so we were able to talk about our trip there with him.

My only complaints were minor. Our table was at the window and felt pretty drafty. After we left, I realized that our clothes all had some of the distinctive odor from the oil they use in their cooking.

Our bill was $30 before tip so I think it is a good value. We'll be back!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank TheRealAwaxy
“Great pho !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Loved the vegetarian pho, great food, great service, great experience! I wouldn't bother about getting American fare on their menu though.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Emma F
Cary, North Carolina
“Nice Vietnamese food, convenient location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

This has become my go to lunch place. Most of the food is excellent. The only misses so far have been when the barbecue pork is way too salty, about 1/3 of the time. My wife and I, sometimes together, sometimes separately, have been here close to 50 times, that is how much we like it.

Bahn Mi, all varieties, are great (Vietnamese sandwiches influenced by the French).
Pho - All are good (Vietnamese noodle soup), but the fillet mignon version steals the show. I have had more authentic and fragrant Pho, but they do a good job here.

Service is usually friendly and enthusiastic, however not too efficient. A little service training would go a long way toward fixing the inefficiency which has existed since day one.

• Visited October 2013
Raleigh, NC
“Terrific Vietnamese food; service under construction”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

My wife and I have eaten twice now at Taste. The restaurant is in Morrisville Square, a small strip-mall assemblage of stores and restaurants. The decor is simple but clean--an open floor plan with about 20 tables. What recommends the place is the food, which is reasonably priced and really tasty. The Vietnamese egg rolls are what used to be served all over Minneapolis and St. Paul in small restaurants like the Saigon Cafe after the massive influx of Vietnamese and Hmong in the 1970s and 80's: thin, tightly wrapped, fried egg rolls with vermicelli, pork (or vegan), and other ingredients. Please--no one complain about the egg rolls not being "fatter." This is exactly how they should be. I can't find those any more in the Twin Cites, so I was thrilled to get them in the Triangle area, which has a major deficit of good Vietnamese places. Both times, my wife and I had the vermicelli dishes: with chicken, pork, and beef. Both the pork and beef are better than the chicken; diners seem to prefer the pork, which has that terrific grilled taste you find sometimes in Mongolian food. The vermicelli ("bun") dishes come with peanuts and lettuce, in sections, and the idea is to mix it all together and then pour on little bits of the accompanying thin, not too sweet dipping sauce--it's much like what comes with the egg rolls--as you eat. The menu include several pho dishes and rice options. It's not a huge menu but apparently will be expanding. There is no wine or beer and the young man serving us couldn't say whether the restaurant has applied for a license. This is clearly a family-run place, and the service on the second visit was pretty disappointing--not for lack of trying or for pleasant treatment, but for organization. My dish came out and we waited for my wife's. Ten minutes passed, and I asked. Something had gone wrong in the communication; we heard some commotion in the kitchen, and her dish then appeared a few minutes later. Then, halfway through our meal, the same thing happened to the table next to us, with the same missing dish. The owner needs to understand that diners don't want their main entrees to come out in stages (or else one person finishes too soon). Wait until it's all done and bring it all at once. We waited for about 15 minutes at the end for anyone to notice that we were ready for the check. The young male waiter seemed befuddled; he appears to be the son of the owners, and the young woman also running around helping out is perhaps the daughter. The owner is an amiable and concerned man who was moving quickly between the kitchen and the restaurant, and his wife appears to be cooking as well. They were apologetic and nice about it all, but there's obviously a lot to be ironed out in their coordination of service when the place gets busy. Otherwise, I'd highly recommend this restaurant for those who want good, reasonably priced Vietnamese food.

• Visited April 2013