“A Nice and Different Option”
Review of Dim Sum House

Dim Sum House
Ranked #83 of 155 Restaurants in Morrisville
Cuisines: Chinese
Durham, North Carolina
“A Nice and Different Option”
Reviewed April 14, 2012

This was our second visit to Dim Sum House in three months time. My group of friends enjoys the experience and the quality of the food. The concept is to enjoy dim sum throughout the day. The menu provides options for both ordering starters and entrees and enjoying a typical dim sum experience.

My friends and I have focused on the dim sum experience both times. The overall cost is quite reasonable. You leave feeling full and satisfied. The dim sum menu offers a very nice variety of choices. All of the food was tasty and we sampled everything from dumplings to congee to traditional Chinese broccoli.

The dishes are steadily brought out to the table until you signal the end has arrived. Unlike traditional dim sum you have to order off the menu based on pictures. They do not bring you a cart filled with steamer trays of selections. This does not detract from the overall experience. What you see is what you get.

Note that the friend shrimp balls are delicious, but incredibly steamy even after you cut them open and leave them sit. The bbq pork dumplings are fantastic as is typical at most dim sum restaurants. The congee dishes were all comforting and delicious.

This is not fine dining or a typical experience. It is great fun, though, and a refreshing change of pace.

• Visited March 2012

Maryland
“Surprise find”
Reviewed December 30, 2011

I pulled off I-40 to get gas and noticed the Dim Sum House. I decided to give it a try and, unfortunately, I was eating lunch alone. Dim Sum is best when you are with a group and can order a lot of different dishes. I only had two dishes but they were excellent. (Shrimp/Chive dumplings and stuffed peppers.) It was really surprisingly good and I've spent far more in fancier restaurants for food that wasn't this good. Hope I can get back here with a group.

Audubon, Pennsylvania
“Great food and service -- do not miss!”
Reviewed August 9, 2011

My daugther and I ate at Dim Sum House while visiting friends from Apex. Dim Sum is not for everyone, but if you have the taste for it, this is a great restaurant. Since there were six of us, we got a range of dishes and shared. The comgee was yummy, creamy and tasty. The sticky rice in lotus leaf looked and tasted great, very fresh. The Chinese broccoli was cooked perfectly, with the stalks nice and crisp, and the dumplings (pork and chicken) were nicely done, as was the sweet and sour pork. My daughter loved the mango pudding, made with fresh fruit and eggs.

One tip for customers -- the pork dumplings have shrimp in them, so if you are allergic to seafood, go for the chicken variety. It's just as good and allergy-free.

Not sure about the cost, since we were guests and there were no prices on the menu.

• Visited August 2011
“Wow! Unforgettable”
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Impeccable service combined with outrageous goodies and the best Dim Sum within many miles.

Even my favorite, the chicken feet were state of the art. Our server was friendly and attentive.

The Silver Palace in the NYC Chinatown, has nothing on this place. Don't miss it !

Apex, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dum Dum House”
Reviewed May 9, 2011

A coworker and myself ate lunch at this poor excuse for a restaurant today at lunch and neither of us will ever go back to this place again. Where shall I begin.

First, the place was not very crowed we sat down was asked what we would like to drink and shoved 1 menu to our table. My coworker asked for a straw which she received twenty minutes later. During this time we had time to look over every aspect of the menu as we watched the 1 waitress run around to the tables of the patrons who were there before after about half an hour she would take our order. During this time we happen to notice the spelling soy sauce on the menu is spelled soy source .

Finally after our long wait the waitress takes our order, my co-worker orders a chicken dish and I ordered as the waitress quickly rushed off to get our order in. Ten minutes pass and she brings out our soup and salad roll, which were part of our meal. This was the best part of the experience mind you. Half way through consuming this the waitress comes back out and looks at my coworker and says "So Sorry, we are out of chicken." I was just amazed an hour into us ordering and this waitress came out and told my coworker something she had ordered she couldn't have, what a joke of a restaurant.

If you want poor service, but good water visit the Dum Dum house and learn how not to spell sauce.

• Visited May 2011