“Great pre-flight hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham Airport
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Morrisville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We always stay at this Hilton the night before our flights heading out for vacation. The hotel is right next to the long-term parking lot at the airport, but we have never had any issues with airplane noise. It literally takes 2 minutes to pull out of the parking lot and over to the long-term lot at the airport.

The hotel & our rooms have always been spotless and the staff are very nice. They have free breakfast; however, we always take very early flights out, so we have not had the chance to eat the breakfast yet.

Very reasonable rates already, but an even better rate if you have AAA or a corporate discount.

This has become our favorite RDU hotel and we will be staying here every time we fly out of RDU.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
RWarzywak, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear jennmaybe,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am so pleased to hear that the Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham Airport is your favorite hotel. I often tell clients that we are in the best airport location as it is rare to be so close to the airport but not be in the flight path. There are so few airport hotels where you can get a good night's rest!

Our breakfast has everything you can possible want from our cooked to order pancakes, waffles, French toast, eggs and omelets to sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, grits, oatmeal, biscuits and gravy. And don't forget our continental items including fruit, yogurt, pastries and more. All this for $9.95 and includes unlimited coffee, juices and coke products if that is your morning preference.

We look forward to hosting you before your next trip.

Safe travels,

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at this property during a recent visit to the Raleigh area. Like other business travelers, the expectations start simply with a safe, comfortable, and clean room. WiFi and some nearby restaurants are always a nice feature. All I can say is that this hotel failed on all fronts, with the exception of decent WiFi. As a frequent Hilton family hotel guest, I like being recognized as a "valued" member. When that didn't happen upon arrival, I should have known to turn around and find somewhere else to stay as my visit only went down hill from there. Front staff was rather unfriendly. The first thing I hear from the staff is a discussion amongst them about a room that needs to be re-cleaned because it is dirty and the sheets had make up and junk on them. Now that's not very comforting to an incoming guest. When I finally made it to my room, I found it odd that the front of the climate control unit was on the floor. I'm one of those people that make a quick check of the room for cleanliness and working toilet, shower, heat/air, etc. Everything seemed in order at first glance except of course for the grill on the heat/air unit. I put that back on and assumed all was well. Having come in rather late, I quickly left and sought dinner options. The only dining option other than the in hotel restaurant that is even remotely close is a Sheetz gas station. Everything else is about a 10 to 15 minute drive - thankfully I had a car and GPS as the front desk staff were of no help. After returning from dinner, I went back into my room and noticed some "left overs" from previous guests and called the front desk requesting a different room. The unpleasant staff member basically told me that I was out of luck because they were sold out. So much for the valued guest treatment! As the night wore on, it got quite cool outside, so I cranked up the heat in hopes that the unit would actually work. It kicked on and it seemed that all was well. At 1:30AM, my smoke detector starts going off as something was burning up in the heating unit. First off, thank God for the working smoke detector! It still pulled me to my senses and I quickly shut off the unit and was able to jimmy the window open a few inches to get the smell and light smoke out of the room. As one can imagine, I wasn't really able to relax enough to go back to sleep. Fast forward to my departure when I shared my horrible experiences with the gentleman staffing the morning desk. He was very apologetic and said he would "take care of me". Well it's been over a week and I haven't heard a word from anyone at the hotel. I did not report the issues in hopes of any gratuity; I simply wanted someone to know that the room should not be rented until repairs were made. I am very disappointed in the way matters were handled and the empty promises by the staff to the bitter end. I strongly suggest anyone considering staying at this property rethink that option and look at other nearby properties. Stay away!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
1  Thank Coach5000
RWarzywak, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear Coach5000,
I regret to hear that you did not have a perfect stay at our hotel, as that is what you deserve as a valued HHonors member. I met with our Front Desk team, Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer to discuss the issues experience while staying with us. We are working to correct these shortfalls to ensure that they do not happen again. We strive to keep all guests happy with fresh towels and linens daily. We have ordered new linens and are in the process of replacing our rooms with tired bedding. We do this on a continual basis to ensure guest’s satisfaction.
In regards to the heating unit, unfortunately due to your being the first guest to experience a cold Carolina night, the heater had not yet been used. As a result the dust had not burned off of the heating coil. This is a common occurrence and does create an odor. For that reason our Engineering department went through the entire hotel to remove the thin, but not dangerous dust.

I would like to personally reimburse your charges. If you would contact me, I will promptly take care of your charges and send you a refund receipt.
I can be reached at robin.warzywak@hilton.com.
Warmest regards,

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have very few needs when staying at an airport hotel. Clean room, wifi, good coffee, but most importantly, a reliable airport shuttle. Checked in late at night and spoke with the pleasant but peeved front desk person (she'd been there since 9:30 that morning because she had to cover for someone else... TMI but whatever.) Was dismayed that the pantry was somewhat barren since I was in the mood for some ice cream. But hey, it's a Sunday, I'm sure they had a busy weekend. Got up to the room, which was fine. Slept fine, decent bed (although I'm not a fan of the sleep number beds that all HGIs seem to have now.) Woke up early the next morning and called down to the front desk to inquire about the airport shuttle. She asked which one I wanted to sign up for and I chose the 6:45. Rushed around and got ready quickly, got downstairs just as the clock on my cell phone turned from 6:43 to 6:44. As I walk into the lobby I see that the shuttle is pulling out of the parking lot! I said to the front desk person, "That wasn't the shuttle was it?!?" And she says, "Yes, it's 6:46." I show her my phone and say, "6:44!!!" She then replies, "We go by the clock here on the desk." Seriously?!?!? You go by a desk clock that is wrong?

A word to management: when people call down and request a shuttle, you need to tell them not to pay attention to their cell phone clock (which is synced to the official US time via GPS satellite) but rather let them know when the shuttle will leave based on your own WRONG desk clock.

End of story, I had her call me a cab, which was very slow, and I nearly missed my flight. Oh, and the coffee was terrible.

Room Tip: Traveler's hotel, so if you wake up easy, ask for a room that isn't close to the elevator.

Dear nellycat,

Thank you for your review of the Hilton Garden Inn at Raleigh-Durham Airport. I am sorry to hear that our Pantry was not fully stocked upon your arrival. I hope that you were able to get a dessert from our restaurant the Great American Grill. I am happy to hear that you got a good night's rest before your flight. We have changed the protoc0l for our shuttle times as you are correct that we should utilize the Official US time. I hope that the next time you are in town that you will give us a second chance. If you would contact me directly, I will personally make your arrangements for you. I know that we can get it right for you next time.

Safe travels!
Director of Sales
919-840-0042
robin.warzywak@hilton.com

Reviewed October 29, 2012

In my business stays accross US this is one of those hotels with the worst house keeping that i have ever come accross. After a long tiring flight when i went to the coffee maker i find stale coffee and to top it all the coffee maker wasnt cleaned either. thought this was one of the misses but the house keeping doesnt clean your waste bin...on atleast 3 or 4 instances i found my used towel left over, rooms not vacumned and soap and shampoo not replaced. Good property but very bad maintenance...doubt if i willl ever stay in this place ever again. I am a travel that stays in RDC atleast 75 - 100 days a year......not this Garden Inn

Room Tip: i wouldnt use this place any more
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
RWarzywak, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Dear RiyazSait,

I am so sorry that you did not have a wonderful stay with us as that is what we strive for at the Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh Durham Airport. Our Executive Housekeeper has implemented a new checklist for both incoming guests and stayover guests to ensure our high standards are being met. I truly hope that you will give our hotel a second chance. I would like to offer you a complimentary stay the next time you are in town and will personally make your reservations.

Safe travels,
Director of Sales
919-840-8088
robin.warzywak@hilton.com

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I've had the opportunity to stay at this property for 3 separate stays now and have been very pleased to use this property for my football weekend base. The staff at this property has been outstanding in their desire to assist. Rooms are clean and modern. The food in the restaurant scored high for made to order items, but I do feel they need a little help in the mornings with their ability to make a top quality omelet. Cut back on the oil! One great perk here has been the bar in the evenings. On a couple of occasions I've had the opportunity to come into the bar which had a scheduled earlier closing than I would have hoped, but the staff was completely willing to keep the bar open so long as there were customers ordering drinks and food. Too many times facilities and staffs care more about getting out of work than they do serving the needs/desires of their clients. Weekend rates are very, very competitive for the traveler heading to one of the area universities for a sports event weekend, or for the State Fair, museums, etc. Easy access to get back on the interstate to get wherever you need to be. You won't feel or get treated just like a number here. Good find. We'll be back soon!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sennedwhite

Dear sennedwhite,

Thank you for your great review of our Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham Airport. I am happy you have chosen us to be your base hotel for football weekends. I agree that we have an amazing breakfast with a high variety of items. I have spoken to our chefs about their over use of oil when making omelettes as we know folks like to be healthier these days. We do have a great staff that feels as though our guests should be treated as such, not as a number.

We hope to see you here for the next home game!

Warmest regards,

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Convenient to the airport and you know you car will be safe left at the hotel. The service to the airport was quick and on time. Pickup on return was a bit slow, but the driver was very polite. He dropped the heavy dive bags at our car/

Room Tip: Call for the shuttle upon deplaning.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
RWarzywak, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear Linda P,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. I'm glad to see you took advantage of our park & fly package. We have a great location for those flying in and out of RDU airport. Parking your car here, instead of at the airport, is much more cost effective and convenient. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us, and would hope you would return if your travels bring you back this way.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed one night, our flighty came in early, so we decide to see if we could check in early, or leave our luggage there, they check us in early, it was very nice of them. THe front desk people very nice, the rooms were very clean, a great breakfast. In the evening I went out to the fire pit they had and kick back and had quiet time and really enjoyed it. They came out there and ask if I need anything I would stay there again.

Dear gogene,

I'm so glad to hear your stay with us was so pleasant. We do provide early check in whenever it's available. I'm so happy the front desk staff was able to accomodate your needs. I'm also glad to see you took advantage of our on site restaurant, as well as the fire pit outside. Our servers do a great job of taking care of guests in the restaurant, as well as those who choose to dine outside. We would love to have you back as our guest again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morrisville
Cambria hotel & suites Raleigh-Durham Airport
Hampton Inn Raleigh Durham Airport
Hyatt Place Raleigh-Durham Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Raleigh International Airport
Fairfield Inn & Suites Raleigh-Durham Airport/Brier Creek
Hampton Inn & Suites Raleigh-Durham Airport-Brier Creek

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham Airport? Share your experiences!