“You won't leave hungry!”

Abele's Family Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 114 Restaurants in Morganton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Description: *Serving Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner *Breakfast Bar Daily Soup Salad & Fruit & Veggie Bar Daily *Full Breakfast Menu *Full Lunch & Dinner Menu *Burgers, Sandwiches, Seafood, Steaks, Chicken, Ribs & Much More *Homemade Desserts & Delicious Ice Cream Creations *Good Old Country Cooking *An Eclectic Decor With Nostalgia From The Last 50 Years *Banquet Room With Seating Up To 40 for Private Parties *Diner Counter with 8 Stools *Ice Cream Shop *Candy Store *Outdoor Patio
Reviewed September 20, 2017

As 'NCPirate' said in his review from last week, it's easy to miss this place as they still have an old sign up at an abandoned location. If you continue past the old building, you'll find the new location a very short distance along the same road, between Captain D's and Las Salsas restaurant.

Abele's has one of the largest buffets I've ever encountered; they have a soup/salad/fruit bar, as well as a hot vegetable bar which includes cornbread. If you wish, you may also choose one of 10 types of meat to accompany the hot veg bar, or the hot veg bar + soup/salad/fruit bar.

In addition to the buffet bars, there is also an extensive à la carte menu of breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert options. The cuisine is primarily Southern American fare, although they had some other unexpected options such as Jamaican jerk chicken and wild Alaskan salmon steak. The portions are very generous; the slice of coconut cream pie I received was gigantic!

Our server was very polite and attentive. The atmosphere was friendly and relaxed. The restaurant is quite large and has an interesting, maze-like layout; although there were many other diners present, the twists and turns of the layout kept the noise level to a pleasant hum. There is also small country store attached to the restaurant, selling things like candy, and locally-produced honey, jams, etc.

My only complaint was the restroom: it was in dire need of a cleaning (and looked to have been this way for some time). It was so bad that I turned around and left as soon as I opened the door. Everything else appeared to be quite clean, so I was very surprised to find the restroom in such a terrible state.

All in all, though, it was a good experience, and each family member said they would be happy to return again next time we're in the area.

Reviewed September 18, 2017 via mobile

My Husband and were on our Way home from a weekend in the mountains yesterday feeling a bit hungry pulled off the bypass to grab a bite seen the sign for this place which by the way was SLAMMED on Sunday. Wanting something besides fast food and seeing the crowd thought this place was a must try . We both opted for the soup, salad , and hot vegetable bar. Everything was good and hot . The Buffet was kept clean and the food was kept fresh . The Salad bar had lots to offer . There were 3 different soups . And Hot Veggies included fried okra, mashed potatoes, gravy , Mac and cheese , pintos, corn bread and so much more . This place also offers a large variety of things on the menu . If you are driving thru it's a good place to check out . We would definitely eat here again.

Reviewed September 11, 2017

We were traveling on I-40 and decided to stop for a sit-down variety meal in a non-fast-food chain restaurant. At Exit 105 we saw Abele's Family Restaurant on a highway at-this-exit sign, and decided to check it out. The first thing we saw upon exiting was an abandoned Abele's Family Restaurant building on the left next to the Sonic Drive-in…and we almost turned around. However, about a quarter-mile past the old site we found the new location on the right. When I asked when they came to the new site, I was told four years ago. The waitress agreed that a great number of folk get confused…she added she had no idea why the old sign has not been removed.

Well, after the miracle of finding the real Abele's Family Restaurant, we were very pleased we did. We were there during breakfast and had a choice of ordering off the menu, or eating from the buffet. After seeing the enormous offerings on the buffet and noting the reasonable price, we ate from the buffet. Everything we ate was hot, fresh and delicious!! I hated that I was full after two trips… Tea and soda's have free refills.

I was told that they serve lunch and dinner by menu or buffet. I can only imagine how good those meals / food offerings would be.

We had a great waitress who waited on us the same as if we had ordered from the menu!!

This is a winner if you are Really hungry and want a great sit-down meal with excellent food! I highly recommend you give Abele's a try!!!

Reviewed September 10, 2017

The food bars were great! Had a wide range of choices! Service being seated and served drinks was quick and waitress very friendly! At the end they sang and brought her some dessert! We all had a great time! Place has a nice atmosphere.

Reviewed August 23, 2017 via mobile

Good diner and service. Finally someplace that knows how to cook Liver and Onions. Very good and not dried out at all. The hot bar was good. Nothing outstanding, just good food. Enjoy