“Excellent meal and atmosphere”
Review of Root & Vine

Root & Vine
Ranked #1 of 111 Restaurants in Morganton
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
United States
“Excellent meal and atmosphere”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Visiting Morganton camping in nearby S. Mountains State Park and celebrating our 49th anniversary. I read the "terrible" reviews and chose to ignore them because of the number of excellent reviews. Believe the excellent ones. They have a very nice patio to have a drink before dinner or to eat outside. Located on a street corner but noise not a problem. The sun can be hard in early evening. We had a drink outside but chose to eat inside. Glad we did as it started raining about 1/2 way thru dinner. To the dinner - it was excellent. We both had local trout with green beans and polenta. The polenta was creamy almost like mashed potatoes. Never had it that way before. Very good. The trout was delicious. My wife said it was one of the best meals that she could remember. The blue cheese salad dressing was also excellent. Bottom line - don't even read the negative reviews. Treat yourself to a nice evening out.

“Wonderful little place”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

My daughter and I stopped here on our way to Asheville. We had our dog with us so we were limited in our choices. But definitely there were no limits on this really good experience.

We dined on the patio so our dog could join us. The wait staff was very courteous and brought Dottie a bowl of water too. We had the mussels and the hummus for starters. The mussels were done in a wonderful buttery wine and garlic boil. Not too greasy and just the right amount of garlic. They were scrumptious! The hummus was tasty too - it was a bit thin but had a nice flavor and was served with cucumber slices (nice touch) and toast points.

For our main, we both had salad. Mine was a very fresh garden salad with a good balsamic vinegarette. My daughter had the grilled Caesar - this was exceptional. The lettuce was very nicely 'grilled' and had a gentle smoky flavor. The dressing had a wonderful lemony flavor to it.

The staff was appropriately attentive - not too interrupting and not hard to find when you needed something. It was a comfortable day for an outdoor eating experience. I would highly recommend this little place.

• Visited June 2014
“Great find in a small town”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

My wife and I tried this recently after hearing about the place from friends. The service and food quality were first rate. This restaurant is located in a downtown location in Morganton and offers indoor and outdoor seating.

About the only negative was the menu's were in a plastic sleeve. Sounds picky, but this place charges for the premium food it serves, so why not make the menu's a little more professional?

All in all, I will be returning. It was worth the trip.

South pittsburg
“Nice Night Out”
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

The wait staff was gracious and asked beforehand of we wanted to sit indoors or on the patio. Nice selection of mixed drinks and beers. The food was great and presented in large portions. The crab cakes, although not fresh, was plated beautifully with fried green tomatoes. The cook is willing to work with you if you are a vegetarian, gluten-free,or have a special diet.

Lake Worth, FL
“Best meal I have had in a long time!”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I was not expecting the caliber of meal that this place delivered. All four of us sitting at the table were blown away. I'm from south Florida and would like to think I have fairly high standards when it comes to foods. This restaurant greatly impressed me. I had the filet with the (Amazing) Blue cheese sauce, along with the mushroom and goat cheese risotto...stunning! Only about $30 for the dinner, well worth it. The baked Brie was an excellent starter. I will come back to this restaurant every time I visit Morganton, NC.

• Visited April 2014