“Good Seafood”

Sanitary Fish Market & Restaurant
Ranked #35 of 121 Restaurants in Morehead City
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Large groups, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: It is our goal to please every customer who walks through our doors. If you have a complaint please contact one of our managers.
Harriman, Tennessee
“Good Seafood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Had a wonderful experience at the Sanitary. Fast friendly service, good seafood at a price that you'd expect. Vast selection to fit everyone's taste. Will try again when I'm back in town.

• Visited April 2013

Morehead City, North Carolina
“This place is really bad!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

My friend told me she had eaten here before while in town for work and suggested we meet there for lunch. Overall, it is a standard restaurant as far as price and atmosphere. The one thing that sticks out though, the food is horrible. It is really, really bad. Do yourself a favor and skip this place.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Srapp
Cary, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Less than pleased”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

For starters, word of mouth on this restaurant was quite positive, so to some, it's worthy of a much better review than I'll have. But, I should've read the reviews on here before going because apparently the place is losing it's appeal for a multitude of reasons. I'll give you my good/bad/ugly and you can judge for yourself.

The Good: The view is nice. The food came promptly and via our waitress rather than some random kitchen staff (although getting her to return to the table again was like pulling teeth). The staff was pleasant & the guy playing the piano was good. And probably most important for folks likely to read these reviews, judging from the dish my wife had (a seafood quesadilla), the seafood is good.

The Bad: Admittedly, my daughter and I are not big seafood people. We went there to treat Mommy. So, a seafood place not having great non-seafood items probably shouldn't be a shock. But when I pay almost $12 for a salad with fried chicken strips on it, I'm hoping for something other than what was very obviously frozen Tyson chicken strips microwaved just enough to be luke warm, but not so much that it's rubbery and I throw it at the ground and it bounces back up at me. So, it was good lettuce anyway. Moral is, if you don't like seafood, just go to McDonalds where you can get microwaved low-end food for around $0.99.

The Ugly: This upset me. With everyone being so friendly and my wife being pleased with her food, i didn't make a comment about it while I was there, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I won't go back. The thing is, on the Kid's menu, there are 3 things that are in super large print. One is "$5.99", another is a picture of a cheeseburger, and the other is a picture of a milkshake. My kid sits down wanting one thing, and once she looks at the menu, obviously changes her mind to a cheeseburger and milkshake. However, in much smaller print, the Cheeseburger and a couple other choices are almost $10, and the milkshake is almost $3 more. A soda is included if you pick from the few things that are $5.99. So, basically, they are playing to a child's visual tendencies to make $6 more bucks. A 4 year old doesn't know about money and I didn't notice the scam before her heart was set on what she saw. For those folks that say "you could've told her to find something else that was within the $5.99", that's not the point. Is it great marketing? Yes. But is it a great way to get returning family's back? No. I don't respect a place that needs $6 bucks so bad that it tries to dupe a kid. Give me a picture of a $30 platter on the regular menu...that's ok. I'm an adult...it's my money...I can decide. But don't pull that stunt on the kid's menu.

Ok, so there it is. Good seafood joint. Lost my respect. Just my opinion though.

1 Thank Kevin27511
Massachusetts
“Not what it use to be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was one of our favorite spots back when I was a child. I recently brought my Mother back to North Carolina to visit relatives, we were looking forward to having lunch here. Unfortunately, the reality didn't live up to the memory. The only thing that was as good as we remembered was the hush puppies, they were delicious. I had the Fish Sandwich which was edible once I took the heavy coating off of the fish. My mother had the Blue Fish which she couldn't eat at all, the few bites she had made her feel sick all through the day and into the night. I wish we had just left it as a wonderful memory and kept on driving by.

alabama
“Pick the shore dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

The shore dinner is the most expensive, but the best value now that Oysters and Soft Shell Crab have extra charges. Ask for flounder since it is the best. Also ask for the original cocktail sauce with the pickle bits; it is even good on the hush puppies. The meal is too much for one sitting, but the leftovers are excellent for lunch the next day. This is one of my favorite places to eat.

1 Thank jamesbond44