“Excellent Meal”

Captain Bill's Waterfront Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Capt. Bill's is the oldest restaurant in Carteret County. It was established in 1938. Everything that we serve is still made from scratch including our Cocktail Sauce, Tatar Sauce, Hushpuppies, Slaw, Bleu Cheese Dressing, Ranch Dressing, Thousand Island Dressing, Desserts, Chowders, Casseroles, etc. We seat 400 guests in our Dining Room, 86 guests in our Banquet Room, and 40 guests on our back deck. We have a private banquet room that overlooks our back deck which has a marble fireplace, chandeliers and sconces on rheostats, carpet, and chair rail. Here we use table linens, china, and goblets. We cater both on and off premises providing a separate catering menu for your event needs. Visit our Facebook page to view over 300 pictures of some of our caterings.
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Happened upon Captain Bill's while looking for a place to eat lunch that was on the water. Even though it was a little windy, we enjoyed our outdoor table with a water view. Apparently this was their first weekend open for the season and we were not disappointed. My bride and I both ordered the special of the day which was fresh flounder with popcorn shrimp. The flounder was fried to perfection and the shrimp was also very tasty. My bride & I swapped out, she got my flounder (it had bones) and I got her shrimp. The fish was such a large piece that my bride had to take most of the 2nd piece home; I had no leftovers. With the meal came your choice of 2 sides, I got fries & cole slaw, my bride, green beans & mashed potatoes. Every thing was excellent and it isn't often that I enjoy cole slaw. The tartar sauce is made on site and it was also very good; added a nice touch to both the shrimp & flounder. We also tried their homemade seafood soups, my bride, the local chowder and I, their new chowder, both of which were also very good. I fortunately, saved enough room for dessert, as I had seen their lemon pie come by our table earlier. Reminded me of how my grandmother used to make lemon pie. If nothing else would bring me back (which is not the case), their desserts certainly would... I would highly recommend Captain Bill's for any meal. We had not only an excellent server, but the manager stopped by as well whom I presumed to be an owner to check on us. Wanted to go back again but ran out of time while vacationing in Atlantic Beach.

John P, Owner at Captain Bill's Waterfront Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

We would like to thank you for allowing us to be part of your trip to Atlantic Beach! We are so glad that you and your bride enjoyed your visit to Capt. Bill's Waterfront Restaurant! We consider it a privilege to serve you! We look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed March 12, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised at the grilled options this place had. I was very tempted to go with the fried shrimp but then I saw a desert go by and decided to do a healthier meal and cheat on the desert which was well worth it.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Probably the best typical seafood restaurant in MHC expertly run by the Poag family who always make you feel welcome. A lot of family recipes create an appetizing choice of plates.

John P, Owner at Captain Bill's Waterfront Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

Thank you so very much for your recent review! Our goal is to always make sure that you, our customer, is well cared for, enjoys delicious food, and enjoys our beautiful setting!

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I have waited a long time to write this review because we feared retributions. Our family used to go here (a long time ago) often, and we ended up having them cater our wedding. BIG MISTAKE! We met with the restaurant owners several times during the planning process. All the food and beverage was discussed, and the owners said they would need a final head count two weeks before the event. The price of the catering would be based on a head count basis with a $20 per head cost. We did this just how we were asked to. Then a week before the wedding, the owner called my wife's family and said that they thought the head count was low. The owner was told that the head count was accurate based upon RSVP's returned and that we were sticking with that number. The owner then said there was a minimum amount they would do the event for and said we were below the minimum. She went on to say that they would not cater the event if we didn't pay the minimum. This was never discussed before and was not in our contract with them! Also, now that we were only a week out from the event there was no way we could get anyone else to cater on such short notice. They had us over a barrel so my in-laws paid up! The restaurant owner then went to my parents and told them that they would not cater the wedding because of the low head count. THEY GOT MONEY OUT OF MY PARENTS TOO! The word "extortion" comes to mind. The event came off without a hitch... The food was good, the tables were well staffed, and all the food was kept well stocked. But there was WAY too much food... Everybody in my family took home leftover food from the event and much of it was ultimately thrown away after it got old. What a waste! Based upon this experience, I would not eat here if it was the last restaurant on earth. I'm not sure how some people sleep at night. This restaurant stays closed more than it stays open, but on its "Closed" sign it gives a telephone number for catering. I guess they stay in business by conducting themselves in this manner.

We were both surprised and shocked to see this review written. We do not treat our customers as described by the writer. I could not ever remember anything like this happening. I immediately went through all of my wedding files back to 2005 trying to find out what was going on. I could find no wedding that I catered for $20 per person nor could I find any clients named Jenn and Matt. I then went to the writer's profile and found where he stated that he had been married for 20 years. The writer states that he had waited a long time to write a review for fear of retribution. What type of retribution? I have a contract with each of my catering clients. It states among other things 1) when I must be given the definite count, 2) the minimum count required for the given quoted price, 3) if the count goes below the minimum count for the quoted price, a new price will be quoted, and 4) the client is responsible for the given count or the number of guests who attend...whichever is greater. Once the definite count is given, food is ordered based on the given definite count. I would never "extort" money from a client. If this couple was unhappy with my services, I wish that they would have come and talked with me. I would still welcome them to come talk to me. I take every single catering that I do very personnel and treat my clients the way I would want to be treated. We have had a very successful catering business since 1983 with many repeat clients.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This place keeps getting fine after fine for being nasty. A member of my family used to work there and told me some of the things that they do not clean and it is disgraceful, how they stay open is beyond me and the way they treat their employees and talk to them I am surprised anyone will or can work there. Well needless to say I will not and have not ate there in a very long time.

3  Thank Stephanie D

Capt. Bill's Waterfront Restaurant will be opening for its 76th Season on April 4, 2014. For as long as Capt. Bill's as been operating, the restaurant has received an A rating each time it has been inspected. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our restaurant. We require and enforce the strictest of sanitation conditions from our employees. Equipment is pulled out and taken apart to be cleaned on a regular basis. Walls are cleaned regularly. Food is handled properly. The writer must not be familiar with how restaurants are graded and inspected. The writer states that we have been " fined and fined for being nasty". This is not true! Restaurants are not fined in the state of NC. They are inspected and given a letter grade. If we have an employee who cannot follow our procedures, then he/she is let go. We have a window into our kitchen so that guests can see in if they so desire. We pride ourselves on our cleanliness. Our #1 goal is to give our customers delicious food in a safe and clean environment.