“Locals avoid it”

Captain Bill's Waterfront Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Capt. Bill's is the oldest restaurant in Carteret County. It was established in 1938. Everything that we serve is still made from scratch including our Cocktail Sauce, Tatar Sauce, Hushpuppies, Slaw, Bleu Cheese Dressing, Ranch Dressing, Thousand Island Dressing, Desserts, Chowders, Casseroles, etc. We seat 400 guests in our Dining Room, 86 guests in our Banquet Room, and 40 guests on our back deck. We have a private banquet room that overlooks our back deck which has a marble fireplace, chandeliers and sconces on rheostats, carpet, and chair rail. Here we use table linens, china, and goblets. We cater both on and off premises providing a separate catering menu for your event needs. Visit our Facebook page to view over 300 pictures of some of our caterings.
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I ate hear many times for group meetings. We all complained about our food and finally decided to meet elsewhere. If you like fried seafood, you make like it but I don't and it took forever to get served when I ordered broiled instead. I'm told they do a very good job catering events. The Ruddy Dick is just down the street and the food is much better.

John P, Owner at Captain Bill's Waterfront Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

We are so sorry that you were not happy with our food when your group met with us. We prepared the food that your point person told us to prepare. He wanted both a fried seafood and a non seafood entree on the buffet. We were only too happy to charge you the same price and broil your fish for you. We would have been glad to have taken your order over the phone before you left your office to attend the meeting and then we would have had your broiled fish ready for you when you walked through the door. We are here to accommodate our customers any way that we can!

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Our grandson entered the restaurant in a wheelchair. Once the family was seated, the waitress informed us the wheelchair was in the way and needed to be moved to another room along with the strollers. I informed her that he has cerebral palsy and leans to the right if not supported by the wheelchair. The waitress informed me that it had to be removed. Not to cause a scene, we complied to her demands. He was seated in a booster seat which was a total disaster. He had to be sandwiched between his mom and myself to keep him upright. While eating, he became choked on his food and regurgitated on the table. We asked the same waitress for some supplies to assist with the clean-up. Her threw napkins and a towel on the table as she passed by. An older couple was sitting next to us and was infuriated by the actions of our waitress. They left the restaurant without completing their meal and apologized in behalf of our waitress.
Upon leaving the restaurant, I asked the manager/owner if wheelchairs were allowed. He paused and then stated that they were busy and full so allowing a stroller was a problem. I reminded him that it was not a stroller but a wheelchair. He turned and never answered by question. When leaving the restaurant, a man in a wheelchair was trying to enter. I told him that wheelchairs were not allowed. He left. My other grandson learned a valuable but painful lesson that day. Prejudice still exists!

6  Thank Tyresia F
Reviewed September 24, 2012

If you want over priced, not much quality for the price go to some drive-thru that caters to that quality. The Shark Shack in Atlantic Beach is so far ahead in quality that it is a shame that Capt Bills is included in seafood restaurants. Never, never go back.

1  Thank pittyman
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Our service was good. The hushpuppies seemed to be reheated and were not good. I ordered a shrimp burger and it was good. My dad ordered a different sandwich and he said it wasn't good at all and he would not be going back. But the best part was their lemon pie. It was awesome! It wasn't the best place I've ever ate and I think there is room for improvement. The manager actually seated us and took our drink order. The view is really nice and I know times are hard and I would really hate to see this place close the doors..

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We arrived about 7:30 pm on a Saturday - our last day at the coast. We were seated quickly, but then waited 10-15 minutes for anyone to come take our drink order. We were very hungry and tired and just about to walk out the door when someone finally came. They were apologetic about the mix-up, but as there were only 3 other tables with diners, I wasn't placated.
The interior is just ...sad. The mounted fish on the walls look old and tired, and there are numerous water stains on the acoustic tile ceiling. While it is "waterfront" the plastic (!) over the windows did not allow us to see anything.
The food did come quickly - fried seafood usually does. In their defense, it was very good. My husband really liked the seasoning they put on their french fries. I do like to spend my money on local businesses when on vacation, but next time I'll find another one.