“Go the Hampton Inn..it's better”

Holiday Inn Express Morehead City
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Morehead City
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Go the Hampton Inn..it's better”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I knew I'd be in for a long night when I entered in the early afternoon and was told to "hold on a minute" from someone in the back. I got checked in and immediately noticed how warm and uncomfortable it was in the hallways. Then when I walked into my room, I noticed that mildew type smell that permeated the room. Then when I went to the bathroom, I noticed some brown liquid spots on the front of the toilet. Absolutely disgusting to have to walk into that.

After getting over the fact that I felt dirty just by being in the room, I noticed that the fridge/microwave was archaic and definitely in need of an upgrade. Fortunately, the bed was comfortable and the air conditioning worked. Had I been on vacation, I would have been much more disappointed with the quality of the room. If I had the chance, I'd go to the Hampton Inn..I remember my experience being much better there. Or better yet, if you're willing to drive a bit, go stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Havelock. I'm almost sure it would be better than this one.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Morehead City, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
Dear NirvanaCrono,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. However, I'm very sorry that you were disappointed with your room accommodations. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. We all hope to have the honor of hosting you again on a future visit. Again, thank you for your comments.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Still washing the stench out of our clothes!!! Had a room on the ground floor behind the swimming pool, and the room absolutely stunk. We could not get anything to dry out (I am no stranger to beach climates but we were not on the beach). We talked to the Front Desk folks three times and while very nice, they said they did all they could (not sure what that was but it did nothing regardless). Finally they gave us a bottle of linen freshener, and after we sprayed everything, the room did smell better...until we left and re-entered a few hours later. Unbelievable bad smell!!! Someone had a dog in their room and it barked all the time. They ran out of ice in the ice dispenser. But the final straw for us was at breakfast, as they ran out of most goods, and their employees, in uniform, jumped in front of paying guests to grab their own food. We could not believe how rude and unaware they were...I've never seen anything like that before! My daughter wanted oatmeal, filled up her bowl with the dry oatmeal only to find out they were out of hot water -- hot water, really, how does that happen? Regardless, when we asked about getting hot water, the breakfast attendant offered no assistance and only replied that they were out. We pointed out that the oatmeal in the bowl would go wasted now, and the attendant shrugged and just walked off.
Now on the positive side, the room was clean although dark and basic, and the lobby was large and open but as plain as you can get. A nice touch was that they put out waters, crackers, cookies and chocolates and little beach toys - we thought that was a great touch. But I could never recommend this place and next time will stay down the street at the Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the ground floor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bocain
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Morehead City, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear Bocain,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am pleased you found your room clean. However, please do accept our apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced due to the smell of the room, hotel facilities and services during breakfast. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Zelyn N.
Case Manager

Travelers are raving about these Morehead City hotels

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I am a hilton diamond member - this is resonably priced, the rooms have the basics, I was very pleased with the service the the front desk is very nice and the morning spread is very good, the next time I am in the area I would stay there

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bubba086
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I ended up giving this hotel a 3 out of 5 because although we had a very nice stay, there were a few things that ticked me off. Our non-smoking room smelled like someone had smoked in it & someone tried to cover it up but b/c we were not going to be staying long & we were too tired from driving here from PA to care, I didn't mention anything (hindsight is 20/20 though!). The wi-fi is HORRIBLY slow, to the point where you're better off going elsewhere just to access the internet. They ended up charging my card the $200.00 smoking fee the day after we left. At first the woman I spoke to on the phone refused to do anything but once I stressed the fact that neither me or my fiance smoke & our room was right next door to the exit (where people were going to smoke) & we reserved a non-smoking room for a reason, she 'convinced' the manager to credit the money back to my card. Overall, a decent stay....the room itself was very nice & comfortable (aside from the smell). Just be sure if there's something amok with your room, you say something right away!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsMiller14
Wendell, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed April 7, 2012

No hot water in the showers, had to move rooms at 10 pm, night attendant didn't have the authority to compensate, paid for a king size room and got moved to a double. Better yet the day attendant knew there was an issue with the water earlier that day, and didn't have us check the status of the water prior.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Morehead City, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Dear Amy Hm

Thank you for taking the time to let us have your feedback via Trip Advisor following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Morehead City. I was disappointed to read that you had a poor service experience when you used the hotel & facilities here and this is not the usual high standard of guest experience that we offer.
We appreciate the feedback that we receive from our guests & this is crucial for us to improve the products & services that we offer. We take this opportunity to send you our best wishes.

Regards,
Brenda J.
Erwin, North Carolina
Reviewed March 19, 2012

This was a really nice hotel. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and the beds slept very comfy. The breakfast was nice also with hot and cold foods being served. The shower had good water pressure and you could adjust the nozzle better than in a lot of other hotels we have stayed in. A lot of dining and shopping places nearby. We did arrive back late at night and had to park in back from main entrance but side doors available for entrance with key card, when we got to side entrance it was already open and we did have a little concern about this as far as safety. Lighting was pretty good in parking spaces next to hotel building at back but feel more lighting needed at back spaces away from building. Did not swim but had a very nice looking pool area with locked gate system, also the gym area appeared nice.

Room Tip: Try not to get room near elevator if you are a lite sleeper, also we could hear children in room nex...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
windsor, on
Reviewed March 18, 2012

The Express hotels are so beautifully appointed. Beautiful lobby, free parking, very comfortable beds, outstanding breakfast and excellent staff. The two things I look forward to when travelling are reliable Wi-fi and a hot bath. On these two counts, the hotel was substandard. At 9:30 at night, hot water was not very hot And the tub stopper did not work so I had to use a cloth and my heel to
Keep the water in. It was too late to move so i lived with it. It was the intermittent wifi that made me crazy. I was trying to plan our next day's travel and without reliable Internet connection, I had to take my maps and books to the Texas Steakhouse. Which is another plus to this hotel. Close proximity of an excellent steak house

• Stayed March 2012
Bask @ Big Rock Landing
Bask @ Big Rock Landing
#1 of 5 in Morehead City
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
Island Inn of Atlantic Beach
#2 of 9 in Atlantic Beach
The Inn at Pine Knoll Shores
The Inn at Pine Knoll Shores
#4 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores

Been to Holiday Inn Express Morehead City? Share your experiences!