“Don't stay here”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Monroe
Columbus, Ohio
“Don't stay here”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Wish I would have read reviews before booking this hotel.

Positive elements - 1) Staff very nice, personable, helpful; 2) Cheap rate; 3) small fridge and microwave in room worked well
Negative elements - 1) Room not clean - We went and bought our own cleaning supplies to clean the scum out of the shower, the sink, and the phone. Hair strands on pillows, burn hole and red (blood?) stain on sheets. Windows are filthy - as if there is no pride in keeping the place clean. 2) Also, the lobby stinks. Not sure what it is from. 3) No coffee maker, no hair dryer. This room is pretty bare bones. 4) Hotel stairs/sidewalks and building not receiving needed maintenance or cleaning; 5) A/C doesn't work very well - it's manageable but the room didn't cool to our satisfaction.

If you need a very cheap room and you don't mind cleaning it yourself before use, and perhaps bring your own sheets, this could be at least a roof over your head. We paid $48/night in August, 2013 and we only stayed one of the 2 nights that I had already paid for because I didn't want to stay any longer. Also, due to the 11.75% hotel tax, the cheap room was still $112 for 2 nights. I'd rather spend more and have a clean room, however.

Hope this helps.

Room Tip: We stayed in upper level and didn't try to use a swimming pool or fitness center.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
abvimonroe, Manager at Days Inn Monroe Near Matthews, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Joanne G,

On behalf of the staff of Americas Best Value Inn, I would like to thank you for sharing a review with us last year. I am sorry for taking so long to respond. I am glad that you enjoyed our friendly staff and low rates. I do apologize for any housekeeping and maintenance issues you experienced with us. We do have plans to begin renovations in 2014. We hope that you give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Regards,
B
Americas Best Value Inn-Monroe, NC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Kingsport, Tennessee
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed a Friday night due to my son having a football game at nearby Wingate College on the following Saturday. I had a specific need so I called ahead and got them to hold that type room ( they GLADLY done that for me ) I went on to book the room online. I arrived earlier than I imagined I would . No problem my room was ready for me anyways and ready for immediate check in. It was clean everything seemed to work . the folks at the front desk were nice and helpful.It is Not fancy by any stretch but it was clean , conviently located and priced right :-)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Monroe, North Carolina
Reviewed August 8, 2011

This place is absolutely horrible! please take my advice and do not stay here, my fiance works for a company and we have been here for 1 month, paying 237 a week, when the last two days came around, they wanted to charge us 104 dollars for two nights! You would think after being here and taking 920 from us they would give us a little slack! But no! so we basically paid 237 for no pool, no laundry room, the rooms are small, and the first night I came, I pulled the blankets back and saw cigarette ashes all over the sheets! I got new sheets but still this place is ABSOLUTELY horrible, there isnt even a breakfast bar available and the television sets are halfway working!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
abvimonroe, Manager at Days Inn Monroe Near Matthews, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Dear Christina r,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review about our motel. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience during your stay. We do offer weekly rates for our guests. There are certain restrictions which may apply during special events etc. I am not sure why you were charged the regular rates for the last two nights of your stay. However, please contact me so that we can discuss the matter further.

Thanks
B. Patel-Manager
Newport News, Va
Reviewed February 25, 2009

Very disappointed. Holes in the walls. The TV didn't work and no phone in
the room. They should pay people to stay there!

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kitten_9
Dear Kitten 9,

Thank you for sharing your opinion about our motel. Since your review was posted, we have completed numerous renovations: painted the building exterior, guestrooms, added a basketball court, added a new pool fence, refinished some of the furniture, carpeting, bathroom fixtures, mattresses, painted sidewalks. We feel that these updates will enhance the overall guest experience. If you should ever return to the area, please give us another opportunity to serve you again or at another one of our Americas Best Value Inns located across the Country.

Thanks,
B. Patel-Manager
London, England
Reviewed August 25, 2006

Terrible hotel. "Sparkling" swimming pool was closed and no explanation given. We requested a pool-side room, our room was at the back of the hotel no where near the pool. We explained what we had booked on the internet and were told "that's what happens with the internet you don't get what you booked"!
Breakfast was small with no coffee as the machine had broken down! The manager told us the machine had broken down the day before and yet there was still coffee sitting in the pot.
We asked for a refund and were eventually given a partial one by the man who said he was the manager.
Our advice - stay somewhere else. We didn't stay in another Best Value Inn during our whole stay.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Closed pool, no coffee!
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Statetravellers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monroe
Quality Inn & Suites
Relax Inn Monroe
Relax Inn Monroe
#6 of 8 in Monroe
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Charlotte I-485 at Highway 74E

Been to Days Inn Monroe Near Matthews? Share your experiences!