“Gave it a chance, but won't stay there again....”
Review of Jameson Inn Monroe

Jameson Inn Monroe
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Monroe
McDonough, Georgia
“Gave it a chance, but won't stay there again....”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had often stayed at this location when it was a Holiday Inn Express with great accommodations and service. I had to be in the area for a family reunion and thought I would give it a shot since it had been changed to a Jameson Inn, since I have stayed in them in the past with good results.

Once I got past the language barrier of the reservation person, things went well. He listened to what I needed and confirmed the reservation.

Due to an unexpected change, I had to change the room type on the day of my arrival. The young woman I spoke with was very helpful. She was at the desk when I arrived and made the change and check-in smooth.

When my daughters and I got to our room, which was designated Non-smoking, I knew immediately that it had not always been that way. Smoke lingers in the carpet, drapes and even the walls. Fortunately, I am not highly allergic, just highly annoyed. I might have asked for another room that had always been non-smoking, but after 6 hours of driving and spending time with relatives, I just wanted to get some sleep.

The faucet in the bathroom would not turn off completely, and very few things keep you awake like a dripping faucet. We shut the door, but you could still hear it. Then there were the loud music from cars in the parking lot and the Harley-Davidson rider who chose to rev his engine outside our room. However, I can't hold the motel accountable for them, but it may say something about the clientele. Maybe it would have been quieter on the back side, but I felt safer on the front side facing the road.

The next morning we left the room at 10:45 a.m. and removed the "Do Not Disturb" sign. When we returned at 4 p.m., the room had not been touched by the cleaning staff. Again, I was too tired to say anything, but I did tell the employee at check-out about it. She said she would tell the housekeeping supervisor.

I don't think the carpet has been changed since I stayed there last in 2007. The carpet in my room was extremely stained, and I never let my bare feet touch the floor.

The AC worked great, and kept us very cool, which is a plus. I also liked that I could keep the fan running all night long, which helped block some noise.

The location of this Jameson Inn is great--right on the main dray in Monroe, close to restaurants and shopping and easy to get into and out of. However, I am still disappointed by the condition. Yes, the rates are low, and as the saying goes, "You get what you pay for." Maybe I am picky, but I paid to return to a clean room and fresh towels. Next time I am in Monroe, I will stay at the Best Western.

Room Tip: Bring your own shampoo and conditioner. There was one small bottle of shampoo in our room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Online_Media_Mngr, Public Relations Manager at Jameson Inn Monroe, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear Campertmb,

I am so sorry to hear about your issues and would like to discuss them with you. Please reach out to me at the office so we can discuss this .

Thanks,
Joe S
Hotel Staff

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Ocoee, Florida
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I reserved a block of rooms here for a meeting we were holding in Monroe. It was a lower-cost option than the headquarters hotel where others in our group stayed. The management was very easy to work with, and called a few days before the meeting to make sure it was okay to release the rooms in the block that had not yet been reserved. it was convenient to be able to park right in front of the door to our room. The room was clean. I could not get my ipad to connect to their free WiFi service. The front desk staff tried to help me connect, but they could not make it work either. They provided a computer in the lobby where I checked my messages, but it was very slow. They had signs saying that we could not take breakfast food back to guest rooms. That was inconvenient. While I was eating breakfast, a woman wearing traditional Indian dress appeared in the dining room. She did not say anything, even when I said, "Hello, how are you today?" She didn't smile or move. She just stared intently at me while I was trying to eat. It was uncomfortable, so I changed my seat to face away from her. This meant I was also facing away from the television and morning news I wanted to watch as I ate. I was the only guest in the dining area. She remained standing in the same place until I finished eating. When I said, "Good-bye, have a great day," she didn't respond. For several reasons, I believe she was a relative of the property owners or employees, and not another guest. It was spooky.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in back of the building, away from the noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank vlaney
Online_Media_Mngr, Public Relations Manager at Jameson Inn Monroe, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Vlaney,

I want to apologize for your issues related to the wifi. Saturday night there was a local area outage due to a lightening strike and bad storms. The local vendor's office was damaged which took down the local area's service.. All internet and phone services have been up and down since then. We are working with the vendors and local telephony services to restore area services and stabilize the hotel services. I am sorry for the inconvenience during you stay but rest assured this is a rare situation that was out of our control. All services should be restored mid day Monday.

Joseph S.
OMM Manager
Northfield, OH
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We used to go to this hotel every year on our way down to the beach. It was a Holiday Inn Express, then was sold as a Super 8 and is now Jameson Inn. The rooms were tidy, but the carpeting and bathrooms need cleaning badly. There was a used bar of soap in the drain in the bathtub and mold on the shower curtain questioning whether they really clean the place or if they just fold down the corner of the toilet paper to give that appearance. The breakfast in the morning had no fresh fruit and the "orange juice" tasted like Tang. It was drizzling when we got there but we went into the pool. They came out and threw us out of the pool because it "might" lightening. A half hour later "still drizzling" they came back out an said we could go in. Going to use another hotel next year.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Karen W,

Thanks you for your feedback. I have looked into the issues and correct these. The management team is very dedicated to preventing this and is doing everything in there ability to ensure our rooms are of top quality.

Joe S
OMM
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 14, 2013

stayed here because the receptionist was THE MOST hospitable, welcoming , warm motherly person I have ever had the experience of meeting in the hospitality service. I have spent as much as 379/ night for a hotel room and never experienced such a professional. You would think she was inviting you to stay at her guest cottage with all amenities available to you. This was exceptional, given the fact that I just needed a cheap, safe place to sleep for a few hours. My experience across the street was so drastically different. The man there would not even acknowledge me. When i went to the check in window, he looked at me and turned his back to me and continued his phone conversation for 5 minutes....never asking me to hold on a minute, NOTHING.
Anyway, Donna is an amazing person. now about the hotel :)

I asked a few questions and was given respectful and dignified answers, kindly. I paid for the room and said i would prefer something close to the front.
my room was very close and downstairs, thankfully. Upon entering the room, no strange smells met me. The room was clean and updated. The bathroom was spotless. the sheets clean and fresh. To my surprise, there were even a microwave, small fridge, and coffee maker also clean. It was quiet. i slept well and felt safe (thanks again to Donna). i spoke to the manager the next morning commending Donna for her help! Unfortunately the sitting chair needed to be cleaned, fortunately, i was sleeping not sitting lol. O , If you are in the mood to have an old fashioned diner meal, you MUST eat at the knife and fork. reminds me of the old highway diners 30 yrs ago. mmmm inexpensive, clean, good food, not bistro style, diner style-only draw back is the carpet flooring. tip the waitress , folks, they work hard. DO NOT eat at Hilltop. Food is packaged, blase, servers are nice enough, but if you have a problem with the meal, management is AWEFUL, heads up!! I wonder sometimes how these kind of people ever get into the business--maybe a bad day, but if so , it was a bad day both days i went- separate visits. if you have time , visit downtown monroe, lots of old buildings and homes and on the weekends, check to see if the local hs- CATA- is having a drama or dance show-- some very talented kids and teachers, apparently!! o Alice Jules and The Pack Rats are great place to antique and have a great cup o' joe! just a quick trip- honeysuckle farms has horseback riding nearby! Or check out the treehouse vineyards, fun fun!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank SunshinesCousin
Online_Media_Mngr, Guest Relations Manager at Jameson Inn Monroe, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for such a great review of your stay. We here at the Super 8 Monroe pride ourselves on the high standard of service we provide. Being said I will address the issue with the gentlemen in question and assure you it will not happen again. As far as Donna, she is a glowing star of an associate and I will personally make sure she is given kudos for service.

Again thank you for staying with us at the Super 8 Monroe. Where we feel it's "The Super Place to Stay".

J Skopp
Marketing Manager
Gelnhausen, Germany
Reviewed April 1, 2012

we stayed herefor two weeks in June last year, coming from Germany, to visit relatives close by. The owner and staff are very friendly, the room was clean, the bed comfortable, the rates are very good. All our needs were fullfilled to best satisfaction. We hope to stay there again during our visit to the US this year in May.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rosa S
Online_Media_Mngr, Guest Relations Manager at Jameson Inn Monroe, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear guest,

I wanted to say thank you for your kind thoughts. I hope you will join us again.

Thanks,
Joseph S.
Manager
Lithia Springs, Georgia, United States
Reviewed February 12, 2012

I stayed here last week, staff was wonderful, room was so clean and pretty.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Online_Media_Mngr, Public Relations Manager at Jameson Inn Monroe, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Dear Adeena L,

Thank you for the kind words. At the Super 8 Monroe our hotel is dedicated to the care of our guests. We work hard to take care of every guest request promptly and efficiently. I hope when you return to Monroe, NC again you will consider another stay at the Super 8 Monroe, NC.

Best travels,
Joseph Skopp
Online Media Marketing Manager
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 29, 2012

My wife and I loved this Super 8. Good location, clean and friendly staff. This is the kind of place you can appreciate after a long day of driving on the the interstate.There are lots of restaurants in the area. Thanks for a great stay

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JS1458
Dear JS1458,

We here at the Super 8 Monroe,NC love to hear such good words about our service. Thanks for allow us to be your hotel of choice during your recent stay. The staff of Super 8 Monroe, NC would love the opportunity to welcome you again as our guest. Next time you are headed out way please let me know. I would like to greet you and welcome you back in person.

Joseph Skopp