“A cute, quaint, rustic winery in Mebane with superb reds and whites”

The Winery at Iron Gate Farm
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Mebane
Reviewed June 5, 2013

To preface my remarks, one of our favorite pastimes is to visit various wineries and fine-dining establishments throughout North Carolina. On many an occasion, we've found that some of the best of each can be found in some of the small towns that pepper the countryside. Of the current (as of this writing) 117 wineries that are operational in this great state, we've managed to visit 44 of them so far. I doubt if we can ever catch up though because approximately 4-5 new wineries are coming on line every 3 months.

One of the smaller, yet rustic/quaint wineries that we've visited is the Iron Gate Vineyards in Mebane, NC. When you first arrive, you are greeted with a rustic, quaint winery building - very country-like, yet boasting a contemporary and very warm interior. As I've always said in my previous reviews, for those folks who regularly make it a habit of seeking out various wineries, for most - the experience involves 3 phases: 1) anticipation of what is to come, and...2) The ambiance of the environment - buildings, scenery, and general atmosphere, and... 3) of course, the taste and complexity of the wines offered at that locale.

Since our first visit to this winery, we were impressed - not only with the warm atmosphere of the locale, but also the superb offerings of traditional reds and whites, along with the likes of the American/French influence such as their gorgeous Chambourcin's. In fact, the first time we visited, we purchased 3 cases of various wines - and that's not something we do often (at any winery, save perhaps for a few locations). The wine tasting area is an intimate setting, along with a little gift shop that sells knick-knacks and wine-related items. The folks doing the wine tasting are exceptionally pleasant - very disarming with their country warmth and willing to please. As a result, we've been back 3 times since - especially since it's only an hour's drive from where we live just south of Raleigh, NC.

In addition, the Winery at Iron Gate hosts a variety of activities throughout the year to include local musical events, dinners, etc. They have a lovely pond area where you can just relax and get your thoughts together.

All in all, the Winery at Iron Gate in Mebane is one of the better smaller wineries - but make no mistake about it, their charm, ambiance, and quality of wines combine to make for a pleasant experience. We enjoyed ourselves and that reminds me that soon it will be time to head back and pick up some more wine.

I've uploaded a variety of photos taken of the winery, interior, and pond area, which should give you a good ideas as to how everything looks.

3  Thank BenHerrmann

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Three friends and I went to the winery Saturday afternoon for a tasting. They were in the middle of offering farm tour hayrides so we had to wait a bit for a tasting. We were given a brief explanation and tour and then led into the very large tasting room for a tasting of 14 wines! Several of them were very nice and we left with 6 bottles. This was the best value for any tasting I've ever done (and there have been quite a few!). Fourteen wines later, I've forgotten our pourer's name, but she was absolutely wonderful, funny, entertaining. I'd definitely recommend this to others and will certainly go back for a Sunday afternoon when they have live music outside.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We enjoyed our afternoon at Iron Gate. We sampled 12 wines which were fairly good for North Carolina. Think they are doing a great job. Wish we would have had more time to spend. They have a nice outside area where we were invited to return and bring lunch to have a picnic. Would definately return.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

We ended up here by fluke and it was well worth it! We got there right after they were opening and they welcomed us in with open arms. After a tour of their facility, we were lead down to the tasting area by Patty. She was such a delight!!! Personable, and a wealth of information. The tasting is the complete list of their wines with a balanced mixture of sweet and dry. We ended up purchasing one bottle and going outside for their entertainment. The entertainment was wonderful that day! I've never seen my husband so relaxed! I recommend going and trying! Sit out on the patio and soak in the sunshine!

Reviewed July 15, 2012

The outdoor stage area was very nice and the tour O.K. The wines are fair, but better ones can be found down the road in Pittsboro.

2  Thank BobandPaulette1983