“visiting family”

Comfort Inn Matthews-Charlotte
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Matthews
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Visiting family in the area. The king room we had was really big. Very clean and no smoking.
It is hard to find though. Not very good signs to let you know where to turn into the shopping area. Breakfast was ok.

Room Tip: We found the King size room to be a good choice. Had a comfortable chair and desk chair.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Chet_Patel, General Manager at Comfort Inn Matthews-Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your great compliment that you left for us with Choice Hotels. It is compliments like yours that helps us rank in the top 10% for the best Comfort Inn in the chain. It was great having you at our hotel. Hope to see you again soon!!

There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn Matthews-Charlotte

Reviewed March 22, 2012

I'm not quite sure about this hotel yet after one visit. First of all, it's kind of surrounded by shopping centers, stores & restaurants which is normally a good thing but this one is so covered up that you can't see it from the road. After checking in which took a little long considering I had a reservation I got to my room and the door was propped open by the security hook-ring and the bathroom fan & light was on. I went back to the front desk and asked the girl had she given me the right room and she assured me she had. I went back and everything seemed to be in working order. The room was spacious and clean but I was disappointed to find the "ergonomic" chair mentioned in the room description was just an office/secretary chair so it meant a night of sitting on the bed to watch TV which I hate because it seems like you always fall asleep.

I went to the lobby for the manager's reception which consisted of draft beer, one bottle of red wine & chicken wings. Attendance was sparse and it was only from 5-6pm but it was welcome after a long day. At about a minute before 6pm according to my watch & cell phone I went to the front desk gal who controlled the beverages and asked for a final beer before she closed up but was informed with a serious dead-pan look that she was closed! At first I thought she was kidding but realized she was very serious. In fact, too serious. Oh well.

The next morning I got up to use the exercise room. There was no guest info book in the room so I wasn't too sure where to find it. I marched from one end of the first floor (where most exercise rooms are located) to the other with no luck. I went to the front desk only to find no clerk/manager so I rang the bell and after a few minutes a guy that I had passed in the lobby while looking for it showed up & informed me it was on the second floor. You would think he would have told me that when I had that bewildered look on my face earlier since I was in workout attie and had my iPod in my hand. I went upstairs only to find the treadmill didn't have the safety key/magnet on it so it would not work. I went back to the front desk and inquired qbout it and was told I could use the gym in the shopping center across the street with my room key. It was a warm morning so I made the 1/5 of a mile trek over there only to be told that I needed a driver's license also which the front desk clerk didn't tell me qbout.. When I informed her of this and that I just wanted to use the treadmill plus she saw the disgusted look on my face, she agreed to let me in. It was a really nice gym.

The breakfast area was a little sparse on selection & quantity but was adequate for a Comfort Inn. The checkout clerk was definitely an upgrade from the other two I encountered, All of that being said and the fact that it was clean and priced competitively, I would give it a second try now that I know the do's and don'ts of staying here. If the second try isn't any better they won't get a third.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank GRofVA
Chet_Patel, General Manager at Comfort Inn Matthews-Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Hello Sir,

I would like to apologize. The hotel when you came was under a different management as of now the hotel is under a new management and we not have full gym. The staff is new as well. We would hope you can come again and give us another chance to give you the best hotel service under our new management team.

Thank you!!

Management

Reviewed March 19, 2012

I take frequent business trips to Charlotte and I'm on a tight budget. The most important thing to me is a good nights sleep. The room I had was large and very quiet even though the motel was full of guests. Since the room was large the air conditioner worked fine because it didn't blow cold air right on you, or cut off and on.
The bath was very stark and basic but the tub was sparkling white and clean. I could stream movies easily on my computer without loading and disconnects. The carpet and general decor was genuinely retro but it didn't give me a bad feeling. I did't have a flat screen TV in my room and the super large flat screen TV in the lobby was on the blink and had off- color screen.
There are all kinds of restaurants nearby, both chains and local ones, and some that you could walk to and a big plus was a movie theater practically next door. The breakfast area was very clean and well stocked with hot food like sausage, eggs and bacon.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank TravelReverie

Reviewed December 15, 2011

We enjoyed a suite with a king size bed. The room was huge, and the staff very friendly. We were visting family on the southeast side of Charlotte, so the location was also very convenient. We needed a roll out, and it was provided quickly with no hassles. A good economical choice.

Room Tip: We asked for second floor on an end and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank authored

Reviewed November 28, 2011

No frills. But if you are just looking for a place to lay your head, then this is the place for you. Felt like my feet were sticking to the carpet. Bed was ok. Wasn't expensive so was okay place to stay for the two nights we were in town. Not sure what was going on, but group of people hanging around outside of hotel at night. Made you feel uncomfortable. Got there around midnight, just me and my daughter, after traveling for 7 hours, and these people were hanging around outside. May have been guests, if so, not good clientel. Like I said room was ok. Nothing much for breakfast. Was close to where we needed to be.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank abemzpcmom
Chet_Patel, General Manager at Comfort Inn Matthews-Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback! We have renovated our entire hotel with new Management and we would like for you to come back and try us as you will love us.

Hope to see you soon!

Chet Patel
GM

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Great location. Plenty of stuff nearby. Property is not brand new, but makes the best of what it is and staff is eager to help. Not all rooms have flat panel TVs, so call ahead if this is important to you.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Sagarian9

Reviewed October 19, 2011

This is a no frills kind of hotel that worked really well for the 2 busy days we spent just outside of Charlotte for a friend's wedding. It is very convenient to interstate access or a main artery directly to downtown. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. My husband, who is perpetually hot, actually took the AC off of max! All of the small appliances in our room, especially the frig, worked great. I noted that this room was also big enough that my husband could head for the closet, past me at the sink, etc. and we did not trip over each other. Husband also had enough outlet space for his laptop and phone chargers, etc. on the table (not tucked away in the crack between the bed and nightstand, like some hotels.) The wifi apparently works very well, because he spent all his downtime on Facebook! :)

Breakfast was well-stocked with cereals, juices, coffee, breads, danish, eggs, sausage, and 2 flavors of waffle batter (which we thought was pretty fancy!) The staff was very nice, too. We had kind of a mess of wedding clothes and reception items around our room and decided to leave the "do not disturb" sign out so a maid would not have to worry about it or disturb our organization. When we returned to change, the front desk called to confirm that we did not need the room freshened-up, or any clean items. Very thoughtful.

Small corrections: ChoiceHotels.com says there is popcorn in the lobby - there is not, but who really cares? There are PLENTY of places to shop and eat within walking distance where you could also get popcorn. I have seen other reviews that suggested the pool was heated - it is NOT - but it looked like it would be pleasant in-season.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pinkiesdiva

Also consider these accommodations in or near Matthews
East Forest
Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte Matthews

Been to Comfort Inn Matthews-Charlotte? Share your experiences!