“Like going back to childhood!”

Taste of Europe Polish Cuisine
Ranked #5 of 179 Restaurants in Matthews
Cuisines: Polish, European, Eastern European, Central European
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids
“Like going back to childhood!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

My husband found a review on this one in a local paper and shared it with me. I was so excited to try it that we arranged our business schedule to stop in one evening during the Christmas holidays. I am half Polish and grew up in a Polish home with grandparents and great grandparents with Polish-Rusiian and Polish-German-Austrian lineage on my mother's side so am well-versed in the culinary delights of Polish foods. The restaurant is tucked away in an unassuming little strip mall, but don't let that fool you. This place is a little gem tucked away just waiting for you to come experience all the delightful treasures it holds!

It's very small, be aware that it only seats about 18 at most so you may have a wait. Plan accordingly and don't be put off by that. You will be well-rewarded for your patience! The atmosphere is warm and cozy, felt like we were sitting in a kitchen at home. Clean, nice decor and lighting, and friendly folks. The food.....words cannot describe it and do it justice! Amazing is about the closest I can say. My hubby, son, and I got a little of "this and that" so we could try several things and I was amazed. The pierogi were hand-made...nothing premade frozen here! We had mushroom and saurkraut filled pierogi and meat-filled as well. The flavors were terrific! The kielbasa was scored and grilled with excellent flavor, no greasy fat. Nicely done. Garlic mashed potatoes were an appropriate side dish. Everything was served at appropriate temp and very tasty. The one surprise of the evening was the Cucumber Soup. This is one I did not grow up with so I was stretching my boundaries. I was not disappointed at all! Crisp and just a hint of tang, the soup has become my new favorite here at home! Even my picky hubby liked it when I recreated it for him! So stretch yourself and TRY it, you won't be disappointed.

The other reviewers rave about the potato pancakes, or what we called latkes, and they are right. These things are golden, perfectly cooked, and huge for what they are. Every light and fluffy bite melts in your mouth and is not laden with grease. Don't miss them!

The pise de resistance is dessert, without a doubt. The crepes are incredible and well worth the splurge. We each got a different flavor and shared around the table. The plating was professional, drizzled and dashed as one would find in a white table cloth establishment, but for a fraction the cost without sacrificing quality. The Nutella filled are terrific but my favorite was the blueberry, hands down.

The server was new, a young woman from the Republic of Georgia, with a lovely accent. I enjoyed hearing the wonderful accents of these folks, such warm and friendly people. Don't be frustrated if you have trouble with accents, just relax and have fun. Take your kids, enjoy the pictures on the wall and have a history lesson as we did, about WWII and how the tiny country of Poland was impacted but fought with spunk and vigor to keep their identity amidst the tug-of-war between Russia and Germany. The history is rich here.....some very sad....but share it with your kids. If we forget the past we will only repeat it.

I cannot offer anything to improve at all. I wish there was some way of expanding the seating because I strongly believe that this small wonder is going to become a tradition for years to come for anyone in the area who enjoys good food, a special place for a landmark life event-even without the white tablecloth I would sooner spend my anniversary here with wonderful food and folks than in some stuffy fancy overpriced place uptown. This restaurant has excellent food, atmosphere, character, and value. Seriously, what more do you need?

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank ChefCass

“Awesome meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

I chose this restaurant for my birthday dinner on the advice of a neighbor, and am so glad I did! It is located in a small strip mall in Matthews, right next to a diner. Very quiet place, very clean and with simple decor. We were greeted by the owners who were very accommodating. We started with potato pancakes - delicious! I had perogie sampler, and my husband had a polish sampler plate. We shared and everything was very tasty and cooked to order. Our son had chicken tenders and fries which he said were the best he ever had. We all had crepes for dessert - chocolate, strawberry and blueberry, brought out hot and dusted with powdered sugar. Yum! We can't wait to go back. Highly recommend.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank caymanfan2010
“New and different food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I tried this new little restaurant last night. Great menu, reasonable prices, no frills spot. Would definitely go again. Had the potato pancakes, the perogies sampler and a pork dish. Not a white table cloth, but we were greeted and treated well. Great supply of Polish beer. Easy access, very good service. Two dinners w appetizer, drink, tax and tip for $32
No Polish joke about this place.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank Mar10w
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“deliciously delightful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

We visited A Taste of Europe Polish Cuisine for the first time this evening. The small restaurant was simply and beautifully decorated with pictures and maps of their home country. The menu was wonderful. We thought it might be somewhat like German cuisine and it was - similar but different. I sampled a plate of 3 kinds of pieroges and enjoying the potato pancakes. My husband had the equivalent of schnitzel accompanied with mashed potatoes, slaw and red cabbage. The flavors were wonderful and the presentation beautiful plated. We will definitely be returning.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank dimartin94
“Great Polish Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

Great little place with fantastic authentic polish food. Best I've had in a long time, since my mother-in-law used to do a long time ago. Good variety of entres and can't wait to try the others. Portion size is just right and takes a little longer to prepare which proves it isn't frozen and has to be prepared to order. The crepes were just a wonderful finish...be sure to order to complete the experience.

• Visited September 2013