“Quality Experience with Average Food”
Review of Fujimi Japanese Steakhouse - CLOSED

Fujimi Japanese Steakhouse
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 2, 2014

The food is decent, but not spectacular like I have had other hibachi places because the portions are not small but not large either- perhaps just the right amount. As well, although the flavor is good, it's not as great as other hibachi's I have tried.

Despite the fact that the place has been close to empty the two times I have gone, the chef has been engaging, sweet, and fun with a few new tricks. The staff was nice. The portions can be bigger but the food is decent and tasty- not amazing but it is satisfying.

It is a decent place to go if you want some good Japanese food in a hibachi experience, but don't care about it being top notch.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We started going to this restaurant when it was in Monroe. Didn't find out they moved until several years later. Glad we did though, missed the excellent Dynamite roll! Sushi is yummy and service is good. Had to wait for a table, but it was the day after a snowy valentine's day.

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Very impressed with the sashimi platter! It glowed!!! Veggie sushi was good too. Delightful waitress. Can't say anything about the kitchen menu.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

We came here to celebrate my daughter birthday. The place is very simple nothing special.
The good:
The service was good. The glasses were always full and the waitress was always close by in case we needed something.
The desert was good too. the Fried cheese cake and the donuts were really good.
They have very good specials on drinks.
The OK.
The food was just OK. A bit expensive compared to other places.
The Chef doing the Hibachi looked kind of lost lack of enthusiasm.
I was told they will do something special for the birthday. Cupcake and a Dragon?
The Bad
If you have food allergies please make sure they really understand. we told the chef and the waitress several times about shell fish allergies and they end it up mixing it with the rest of the food. We had to stop them and have the owner involved which they cleaned out the grill and started over.
Not sure if I will come back for Hibachi. I had used the regular restaurant and it was better.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We did not do the hibachi grill, but chose table service in the main dining room. The very fact that it was Saturday evening and we were one of two couples in a restaurant that has maybe 30-40 tables was telling from the start. In the hibachi room, there were 3 couples at one of the hibachi grills and none of the other tables had cooks at them.

My first thought was that this would probably be an ideal restaurant for Restaurant Impossible to come in and try to fix what's wrong. The ambiance is just ridiculous. Other than the orange walls, nothing told you this was a Japanese steak house.

Empty beer bottles on a shelf is the initial decoration you see when you walk in. Walls have 8x10 beer ads cut out from magazines. Then there are the strings of Christmas lights hung on the wall and some mini Chinese lantern balls tied with string to the ceiling around one of the recessed lights. Drapes look like they came from a funeral parlor. Tables look like they were were some cheap junk they got out of a restaurant fire sale, and the lightweight and barely padded booths were very uncomfortable.

The menus our waiter looked like they were decades old, falling apart, dirty, and had some printed paper menus stuck in the pockets.

Our waiter was a nice guy and very accommodating and he knew the menu. He just kind of hovered near the table till we were ready to order because there were two wait staff and two tables of people, so each had nothing to do but to wait on their one customer. Other than that, they tried to look fairly busy, but you could tell they were almost as bored as the chef who stood outside near the bar waiting for something to do.

While each person had a very nice linen napkin, the tableware set came with a really cheap fork, no spoon or knife, and a pair of chopsticks. Water glasses were those cheap but unbreakable plastic glasses with the old Pepsi logo on the side. My beer was served in a Budweiser happy hour logo glass and both seemed to be just whatever they could pick up at a second hand restaurant supply house. Beer was not cold after putting it in a warm glass.

We started out with yellow fin and smoked salmon sushi, both of which had close to the same flavor, what little flavor there was. I'm pretty sure both fish had been frozen. My salad was a handful of lettuce with way too much canned ginger dressing pour over the top.

My meal was their Pineapple Chicken, which consisted of a bowl of slightly warm sticky rice, frozen chicken chunks deep-fried, canned pineapple chunks, and some sweet sauce from a can. $12. It reminded me a lot of a Lean Cuisine in box meal.

My wife had the shrimp and grilled veggies which came looking pretty nice and I was rather jealous until I tasted it. About a half dozen medium size over-cooked and rubbery shrimp, and the veggies were very limited other than the large scoop of grilled onions they put on the bottom for bulk, and then all covered in a very sweet hibachi sauce till the point where the onions on the bottom floated. $16

I did not feel like my health was at risk or I wouldn't have eaten here. But I didn't think the place was clean either. The overall experience was that this was a place that served low end formerly frozen Asian food, didn't want to waste money on a nice atmosphere, and tried to pretend they are a high end Japanese steak house with much too high prices for what you get. Next time, I'll just go to the Chinese take out place a mile away, get better and more food, and come home with half my money. Even on Groupon, this was a really bad deal.

They get two stars for having a nice waiter and for not making me sick.