“Bad Internet; Bad Soundproofing; Not Interested in Improving”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Matthews
Central Oregon, Oregon
“Bad Internet; Bad Soundproofing; Not Interested in Improving”
Reviewed November 6, 2010

I stayed here for 1 night before a business meeting; was only in the hotel for about 10 hours. All I wanted was decent internet connectivity and a good night's sleep. Unfortunately, I got neither. This hotel's soundproofing is inadequate, both inside and out. I could hear every truck on the main road. And I could hear multiple neighbors coughing, blowing their nose, brushing their teeth, and - well... I'll spare you the details. The internet was slow and unreliable, dropping several times during the hour I was trying to use it.

There were no evaluation forms available, although there was a laminated sample evaluation form in my room with the "Very Satisfied" box pre-checked for every item. They are clearly more interested in receiving high scores than in getting accurate fedback on how they can improve; absolutely, completely backwards. Upon checkout, I was prepared to share my feedback with the front desk clerk, but she didn't inquire. Hence the "Terrible" service rating here on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Retailwonderer
HIEmatthews, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East, responded to this review, November 10, 2010
I’m concerned about the problems you experienced at our hotel during your recent stay. I’m writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.
Consequently, it’s disappointing to learn that you experienced problems with your stay. Please accept my sincere apology.

A hotel is defined by the quality of service that it provides to its guests. Because our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive are taken seriously. They tell us what we’re doing right, what we’re doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Please be assured that the issues you have raised have been addressed, and that appropriate action has been taken. We take pride in our hotel, and do our best to prevent problems from recurring.

We have a technical support team that is available 24 hrs / 7 days per week which could have assisted you with your internet issues, the front desk staff is also available those times as well, regardless of what time it was we could have moved you into a different room if we would have known you was experiencing noise related issues.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. There’s no excuse for anything less than excellent guest satisfaction. That’s our goal. Great hotels, Guest love.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Northfield, New Jersey
Reviewed September 6, 2010

I would recommend this hotel with a few qualifications. The word "Express" should have tipped us off as there were a few amenities which were lacking. Specifically, there was no minibar in the hotel which meant no refrigerator at all. Although not tragic, I would have liked to have known that before booking the hotel simply in order that I may have been prepared. There was no restaurant which meant no room service although there are many nearby chain restaurants. Also, the fitness center was the worst I've seen in a hotel in terms of size and equipment. There were only 2 treadmills and an eliptical, and my walk-in closet at home is bigger than the room itself. There was not even a bench or a mat to put on the floor nor were there free weights. If you are a workout junkie like me, you will be disappointed. That being said, however, the hotel was clean and the staff was pleasant. There was an indoor pool with an adjacent patio if you want to sit outside although the view is the parking lot and the back of the hotel. My family and I had a blast out there as we could have cared less, however, once again, that's the kind of thing that's nice to know. I could and would recommend this hotel provided you are prepared and know what you are getting ahead of time.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
HIEmatthews, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East, responded to this review, October 19, 2010
Dear valued guest, let me start by apologizing for the inconveniences you experienced while staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Matthews, NC. Unfortunately our hotel is a limited service property which does not have mini bars, restaurants, room service or full work out facilities on-site. There are several restaurants within blocks of the hotel, which most does include a bar area. We have set up agreement with an Energy Sports and Fitness gym which is 3500 square foot state-of-the art facility. Within the Holiday Inn brand we have hotels that will meet your specific requirements of the mini-bars, restaurants / room service and work facility theses hotels are: Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, Hotel Indigo and Intercontinental Hotels. I greatly appreciate the comment on how the staff was pleasant and the hotel was clean. It is also nice to know that your enjoyed our indoor pool area / patio. I sincerely hope you give IHG (Holiday Inn) brand hotels another try.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matthews
East Forest
Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte Matthews

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East? Share your experiences!