“Great hotel lousy breakfast”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Matthews
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed here recently for 4 nights and was very happy with our stay. Comfortable beds, nice sized rooms were clean, staff was friendly & we even managed to check in when our flight only got in at 11.30 pm. Our only disappointment was the breakfast they offered. Croissants & pastries were stale & omlettes were square pieces of egg with that plastic cheese (the one you buy for sandwiches that looks like plastic) melted in the middle. I believe that the breakfasts do improve on the weekend but by then we had discovered a great place offering breakfast across the street. Location of this hotel was perfect for our needs. Would stay here again

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mandy153
ManagerStaie, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback! I am very happy to hear you did enjoy your stay besides your issues with breakfast. I will defiantly look in to this issue and really appreciate your comments. This will help me make our hotel perfect for you in the future. I am glad that you were able to experience some of the great local food in the area. Hope to see you again soon! Thanks again.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

The hotel is nicely appointed. The lobby is lovely and comfortable. The staff was delightful and most accommodating. My room was nice, clean, comfortable bed, but no refrigerator or microwave. I thought at $114 that would be standard. I've paid less at other hotels and gotten much more. I was in a 1st floor room. There was a bright outside flood light glowing in my room all night and I was facing the parking lot, so people could see in my room without much effort.

The free breakfast was nicer than most. Guests can get their kicks watching the automatic pancake maker! No shuttle here, so plan on a taxi. For two, $40 one way, but the driver was exceptional!

They boast a "room service" which is actually a restaurant that is part of the "OrderInn" program. They are not affiliated with Holiday Inn Express, but are highly recommended. Take my word for it, go out to eat. The food was extremely disappointing...not worth the exorbitant prices.

Overall, a nice place to stay with plenty of shopping, dining and strip malls so you won't be bored!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Donna M
ManagerStaie, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you so much for your response. We appreciate your feedback. I do apologize that we do not offer a microwave and refrigerator in our standard room, we do however offer refrigerators on a first come first basis as well as suite options in which the microwave and refrigerator are already in the room. I am also sorry to hear about your experience with the company that offers room service for us, I personally well be calling them to take care of this issue. We do not want our guests to have any type of negative experience while they are staying with us. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to serve you in the future.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Rooms are clean. Staff is very helpful. Shiovhan, at the front desk, is very nice. Have been here twice in two months and has always been great. Pool is clean and large. Parking lot is pretty dark, but didn't have any trouble with crime. Breakfast bar has a good selection. Pillows are soft, even the ones that say "firm".

Room Tip: Suites are large.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank debbiem131
ManagerStaie, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments. We really appreciate them. I am very glad you enjoyed the breakfast and you're stays with us! We hope to see you again in the future. I am very grateful for the staff we have here and they are always looking forward to seeing familiar faces. Thank you again.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Staff are very helpful. Breakfast bar has a lot to offer. Make sure if hotel is full, to get your pool towels when you check in. We had to wait over an hour for ours and they still did not have any. A maid went in search of extra towels from empty rooms. She went that extra mile to help us out. It was a very busy weekend for this hotel, hince no dry pool towels. Beds were comfortable and wifi worked great in the room. Convenient to restaurants and shops. Do not recommend walking anywhere except Cracker Barrel next door. Make sure your alarm is on in your car and do not leave anything of value in it. There are several car break in's in the area.
Hotel gave our Granddaughter a Teddy Bear. This was very nice of them and made her day/night!

Room Tip: We stayed on second floor away from Elevator and it was quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Candy T
ManagerStaie, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Your response warms my heart! I am so happy to hear that our staff is taking the extra mile to help our guests. I am also suprised that we ran out of pool towels. I appreciate you reponding, now I will look in to this issue and get some more pool towels. Our guest satisfaction is important to us as well as your response on Trip Advisor. We really love taking care of our guests and try to do everything in our power to make everyone feel special. We hope to see you again in the future.

Thank you again!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at this location on May 26, 2013 after the race in Charlotte. The hotel staff is very pleasant the room was huge and very clean. Breakfast bar was better than expected.

The only downside was that we awoke to a flurry of activity in the parking lot. There were a lot of cars broken into overnight. Both cars parked beside us were broken into with a multitude of others. We were fortunate ours was not one of them but felt awful for the other guests.

After doing some research I found this is not the first time this has happened at this location.

This location is set back off of a main road and their only security is video cameras. I would think twice before staying here again simply because of the unfortunate event that happened. If they considered hiring security I think it might help, which would make this a top choice destination.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Afamof
ManagerStaie, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

I thank you for your response and do appreciate you taking the time on Trip Advisor. We at the property have now spoken with the local police department to have patrol cars in our parking lot during the late night hours as well as new security procedures. Though this situation is out of my hands I do sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you in the morning. We strive to ensure our patrons experience is the best possible during their travels and we understand that this situation could not have been avoided due to the wrong acts of others. I am thankful that your vehicle was not broken into and be assured that new procedures and security issues have been enforced. Thank you again for your response and hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed here while traveling through Charlotte for a concert. Check-in was easy and Shavon, at the front desk, was very friendly. We were able to check in ahead of the 3pm check-in time, which was convenient. Aside from a bed that was a little on the firm side (for my taste, anyway) and a bathroom that could have used a little more lighting, the room was immaculate and comfortable. The next morning when we checked out, Shavon inquired about our stay and remembering we were in town for a concert, asked us how it was. If we find ourselves in the area, we'll definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your response and I too hope you enjoyed the concert! I really appreciate the comments about the staff. We love to hear that we are doing something right. Shavon is a great asset to our staff and I will make note of this to her. We hope to see you again soon in your travels to Charlotte. Thank you again!

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Nice hotel for the $$. It was booked as part of a business trip, through my company. I have stayed at another hotel right next door a few months prior, and liked this hotel better. Seemed to be a lot of business people. Free breakfast (the usual fare), indoor pool, free parking, quiet location. Nothing particularly memorable, but that's not a bad thing. Fine hotel. Clean and new(er).

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your response! I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope that in your future trips to the Charlotte area we see you again and we can make your stay more memorable. Hope you can check out our new Managers Reception on Monday & Tuesdays! Thanks again & see you soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Matthews
East Forest
Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte Matthews

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East? Share your experiences!