Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Free Internet
Express Layover(Matthews)
View Hotel
All reviewsfront deskpancake machinecracker barrel restaurant next doorenjoyed the indoor poolthe entire staffthoroughly enjoyed our stayfantastic stayrecommend this hotelevery staff membermovie theaterlarge varietyfree breakfastindependence blvdbonus pointsin great conditionhotel roomup to date
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I was in town for a weekend sporting event and used my points to stay at this hotel. At check in there was no priority club snack available so the hotel gave away $3.00 coupons to the hotel store. I looked briefly at the little pantry they have but ended up passing because I couldn't find any prices listed on the drinks. I probably didn't see the prices but they certainly weren't obvious.

Now, I can't really blame the hotel for this but it does affect the whole visit. The physical location of the hotel. To get into the hotel you have to cut through the Cracker Barrel parking lot or by a side street near a tire store, no direct access and if you have to turn left across oncoming traffic... good luck. Don't plan on making a left turn out of the hotel either, turn right (if you can) onto BUSY Hwy 74 then try and get over for a U-turn at the next cross street. Very annoying.

As hard as I tried I was not able to take a shower without getting water all over the bathroom floor. After the first shower I thought I did something wrong with the shower curtain but the next two had the same result, wet bathroom floor. I used all the towels the first night to mop up and the housekeeping staff did an excellent job of removing the wet towels. And then stopped. No new towels. NONE. Zip, zero, zilch, nada. I had originally asked for extra towels but had to ask again for the rest of the towels, wash cloths, etc. I have never had this happen before.

I went downstairs on Saturday morning to get breakfast and brought a tray back up to the room. It was still there nine hours later when I got back even though it was obvious that I was done with breakfast. I guess I could have brought it back downstairs when I was done but I didn't and neither did housekeeping.

So after a late dinner and a later movie I stopped at the desk shortly after 1:00 am to request a late checkout. The night manager took my information but apparently neglected to coordinate with housekeeping who in a hurry to remove towels from the room knocked on the door at 9:00 am while I was still asleep.

I have had worse experiences and I have had better experiences. The room was clean but the location of the hotel relative to the main road out front and the housekeeping issues rates this location as an average. As far as I know it is the closest IHG property to the paintball field so I am likely to stay there again but I will try not to go anywhere to the left of the property.

Room Tip: Was on the 3rd floor halfway down the hall from the very quiet elevator. No problems that I can think of with the location of the room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff J
ManagerStaie, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

We are truly sorry to hear that your experience at our property was not what you expected. We take pride on resolving our guest concerns and issues at soon as their brought to our attention, and I am sorry to hear this was not your case. As a priority club member we have implemented instead of the usual in the room snack, a credit voucher towards our suite shop as a welcome so that our guest have a better selection and their own choice of snacks. I have looked into this matter and address your concerns to each one of the departments involved so that this those not happens again. I look forward to the opprotunity to serve you again and provide you with excellent customer service.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

We had 3 families traveling through on a vacation. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were very clean. The bathroom was large and the shower was refreshing. We were all able to stay in the same area of the hotel which helped with the kids. The breakfast area was kept clean throughout the morning. A storm had gone through earlier in the day and wiped out the computers, Internet, and cable. However, they still had a system to check us into the rooms. It went smoothly, and we were so glad we could check in and relax at the pool.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
ManagerStaie, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

On behalf of our hotel I want to thank you for your comments and feedback on your most recent stay with us. Its great to hear that even though you had experienced bad weather that we where able to get you in with out problems. Its always great to get to spend time with family, it makes us happy to know that you and your family enjoyed the pool while staying with us. Thanks again for the great feedback, me and my staff look forward to hosting you or your family on your next visit.

MeganKochaniec

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I stayed for one night. The hotel must be brand new, it is beautiful inside. The lobby area was very nice and modern looking, and the room was great. The bathroom was very spacious, and the shower was nice and tall (I'm 6'3" and I usually don't fit under hotel showers!).
I was unable to get a rollaway bed.
All in all, I had a great stay at this Holiday Inn Express

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for providing us with your feedback from you last stay. I am happy to hear that the shower was a great fit for you. We like that our guest enjoy and recognize the new modern look of the hotel. We thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback it is appreciated.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Hotel is newer property about 2-3 years old but maintained very well. Good location right on 74. Hotel is clean, nice indoor pool and rooms are laid out well. Only things to make it better would be improved breakfast. Pancake maker was broken during our visit and there was no fresh fruit out. Also if you are in the back of the hotel, it backs to a rock quarry so in the morning there is a steady stream of dump trucks and a repair garage next door that causes some noise. Lots of great eating places within a very short drive. Would recommend this hotel if in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

I want to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay. Its a delight to hear that you and your family had a nice time at the pool as well as enjoyed the clean rooms. Be assured that the suggestions you had made about impovements to breakfast have been passed on to that department. We take pride in our hotel and do our best to meet all guest expectations. We look forward to servicing you and the opportunity of your guest needs in the future. Again thank you for all the feedback you have given, it is truly appreciated!

Reviewed July 22, 2012

We have stayed twice here in the past month. The first stay was as a family of four, and the second was just my husband and myself. The hotel is very clean an.d the staff is helpful and friendly. Especially during our most recent stay because we had to use their fax machine and business center. The complimentary breakfast is great, and the breakfast was as fresh at 7AM as it was at 10AM. I'm confused as to why some people complain about the COMPLIMENTARY breakfast, haha. The indoor pool was very nice with a perfect water temp. The outdoor lounge area was nice, too. The only issue we had, and it was during both stays, was the water temperature in the bathroom sink faucet - it never got cold. It was kind of weird to brush my teeth with warm water! No big deal, though. I'd definitely stay there again if I needed to, but wer're moving there, so I'm not sure I'll have the opportunity! But, I'll absolutely recommend it to out of town visitors.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

On behalf of our hotel thank you for taking the time to give use your feed back on your most recent stay. Our success is measured by how our guest evaluate our services and facilities. It is great to hear that breakfast was fresh from start to finish. It is also nice to hear that the pool and our out door patio meet your guest expectations. We have made the necessary changes to the water tempature that you had noted. We take pride in our hotel, and do our very best to pervent problems from recurring. I hope we get a chance to host any of your future guest traveling in town. Thank you again, for the willingness to share your most recent feed back it is genuinley appreciated.