“Unbelievable, but not in a good way.”

Courtyard Charlotte Matthews
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Matthews
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I don't know where to start. I checked into the hotel at 4:30 pm, and went out for dinner. Upon returning at 6:45 pm I noticed my door was open and the heating / cooling unit was missing. Luckily, my computer and business documents were not missing. I asked the manager at the front desk why my door was open. I also stated that I now have a big hole in the room where the HVAC used to be. The manager shrugged it off as if it was no big deal, and said the maintenance team would get to it in the next hour or two (the night time temperature was to reach 34 degrees). Without offering to relocate us to another room, he stated he'd get the maintenance team to put our HVAC back in. Gee, thanks a lot. As a frequent business traveler/ marriott rewards member I would say this is the worst one I've had the displeasure of staying at. To the management's credit they did put the HVAC in. Once again, Thanks

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Erin T, Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Matthews, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Dear Skidude62,

Thank you for sharing your honest travel experience with the Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Matthews.

I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you suffered during your stay, We are launching a thorough investigation into this matter, as this is not how our hotel operates. We are constantly striving to achieve complete guest satisfaction, and I am sorry to hear we did not accomplish this. I would love for you to contact me at erin.thomson@marriott.com so I can help you come to a personal service resolution.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you again for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Matthews.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for two nights during the Winter Weather that hit Charlotte during the first part of Feb. instead of trying to drive home and back to work. The hotel is only 5 miles from work instead of 45 miles to home.The rooms were very clean, comfortable and quiet. One was laid out a sort of funny but still nice. From check in to check out it was a very nice place and the staff was amazing.
Our biggest complaint was the parking lot was a mess. Deep snow the first night and ice the second. I understand this was a once in every 5 or 10 year event for the Charlotte area but that was dangerous trying to get to and from the car.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Erin T, Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Matthews, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear Steven P,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience at our hotel with us as well as other travelers on Trip Advisor! We greatly appreciate your honest review.

We are happy to hear that our amenities and our staff were to your liking and you enjoyed your overall stay.

Regarding the parking lot, we understand that snow can be quite inconvenient. As this is an event that rarely happens in Charlotte, we do as much as we can to make sure our guests are safe in situations such as this. We do shovel and salt our sidewalks as well as the driveway by our main entrance. Unfortunately, private snow plows are extremely hard to come by during heavy snowfalls.

We hope that in the future we will be able to welcome you back! Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Matthews.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

We have traveled extensively and never experienced such hospitality like this anywhere before. The room was great, the amenities were great but the staff was amazing. Our sincere thanks to Pat, Darlene, Jeff, and Derrick for making our snowed in experience so memorable. They couldn't do enough for us and 30 college lacrosse players that were stranded in a blizzard. I hope your GM realizes what valuable assets you all are to his company!!!!!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Lori S
Erin T, Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Matthews, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Dear Lori S,

We hope all is well in Philadelphia and that you are keeping dry today! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us and other travelers on Trip Advisor.

Our staff certainly takes pride in providing our guests with the highest quality of customer service, and we are happy to hear this is what you experienced! In addition, I am thrilled that you found our amenities and hotel overall to your liking!

We hope that we can welcome you back in the future. Until then, take care. Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Matthews.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I had a 7week work assignment in Charlotte and stayed at this hotel for those weeks. The staff was incredible. Everyone made me feel appreciated. Especially Jeff, Pat, & Darline. It really made being away from those who love me, not feel so bad. My business partners and I were here during the snow storm in February and the staff did a wonderful job of making us feel comfortable during our stay. (Happy hour was great! lol) I would truly recommend this hotel as a must stay. Great Job Guys! Stellar Service at it's best!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank PhillysFynest
Erin T, Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Matthews, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Dear PhillysFinest,

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to reach out and share your experience with us as well as other travelers on Trip Advisor!

We are so happy to hear that Jeff, Pat, and Darlene have been able to make you feel so at home during your long stay! During a severe weather situation like we had, it is important that our staff can make you feel safe and secure. I am thrilled to hear that this was what you experienced!

We thank you so much for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Matthews. We hope that we will be seeing you again soon! Until then, take care.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

The public areas and our room were clean and attractive. In addition to the beds there was a desk chair and a work area, but no easy chair or couch.

Breakfast buffet is expensive for what is available (eggs, bacon, biscuits, fruit, yogurt, cereal, juices.)

There are many restaurants nearby, but the divided highway makes it more complicated to go out and get back.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Erin T, Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Matthews, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Dear Janet L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your honest and opinioned review with us as well as other travelers on Trip Advisor!

Regarding your room, many of our room types do have a sofa sleeper in addition to the bed, but unfortunately our standard double room does not. If you are looking for a little more space, I highly recommend our Extended Double Suite!

As far as breakfast is concerned, I regret that you were discontent and apologize that our staff was not able to recognize this during your stay. Just so you know, our breakfast staff is always happy to make any of our guests' eggs to order, and we have sausage gravy, hashbrowns, sausage, and even a waffle maker in addition to the items you listed!

I do understand that our location can seem difficult to get to certain areas, but there is actually an easier route by the side of the hotel that our front desk would be happy to share with you should you decide to return.

Thank you so much for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Matthews! We hope that you will return so we can show you our commitment to guest service excellence. Have a great day!

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Hotel is very nice and the entire staff is great. A particular shout out to Jeff who does a great job servicing the breakfast crowd and also manning the complementary bar/dinner on Monday and Tuesday night. I stay at this location approximately 20-40 nights per year and always appreciate Jeff and the staff making me feel at home.

Bill M

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Bill M
Erin T, Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Matthews, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear Bill M,

We hope all is well in Pennsylvania and that you are keeping warm! We are so grateful for the wonderful review you've shared with us as well as other travelers on Trip Advisor!

Jeff is one of our many shining stars! Jeff, along with the rest of the staff, truly go above and beyond to show our guests what true "Southern Hospitality" is. We are very proud to have him on our team, and I will make sure your generous comments are passed on to him!

Thank you for your continued loyalty, and for making the Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte/Matthews your home away from home! We look forward to seeing you back soon. Until then, take care!

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Very reasonable price for a nice comfy and spacious room with a delightful jacuzzi for two. Hotel was clean and staff were very friendly. Highly recommended for a relaxing and inexpensive getaway. Near several good restaurants and close to attractions in Charlotte.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Melissa M
Erin T, Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Matthews, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear sowhatdidyathink,

We hope all is well in Virginia today!

We greatly appreciate the glorious review you've shared with other travelers on Trip Advisor! I am so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy the amenities we offer and the restaurants nearby that are so wonderful!

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Matthews, and we hope that we can welcome you back soon! Until then, take care!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Matthews
East Forest
Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte Matthews

Been to Courtyard Charlotte Matthews? Share your experiences!