“A little pricey for what you get”

Courtyard Charlotte Matthews
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Matthews
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here during business trip.
Pros - comfy beds, nice TV, fitness center, happy hour celebration, good breakfast buffet ($$)
Cons - rooms a little dated, shower head makes squealing noise, extremely dirty windows, a little pricey, wake up service on phone non-functioning (had to call front desk directly)

Stayed here as my company gets a special rate. King room after discount was $109. Not a $109 room.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Katie R, Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Matthews, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear 1969RS,

Thank you for taking the time to share such valuable feedback. We greatly value our guests' opinions as we constantly strive towards service excellence. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed all the fantastic amenities the Courtyard by Marriott has to offer.

As we strive towards perfection and complete guest satisfaction, we ask that our guests report any issue experienced immediately. We would have rectified the problems you experienced in a timely manner as we want you to be comfortable as possible. Also, I regret that you feel that your rate was too high. We must maintain our rates to give our customers what has become expected for Marriott standards. We do not cut corners, and give the highest quality possible which is something to be proud of. When a guest stays at the Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte/Matthews, it is our goal that they will be wowed with the service, quality, and amenities provided.

Thanks very much for choosing to stay with us. We hope that you visit again to see for yourself the changes we have made. Please contact me at the email address below if I can be of any help in the future.

Sales Manager
Katie.Register@marriott.com

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've stayed at this Courtyard twice now, and both times it's been a very positive experience. If you stay in Courtyards you'll know that they're all pretty much the same in terms of basics -- it's not a plush luxury hotel, but it has everything you need for a comfortable stay. This latest stay for me was extended -- 12 days -- and so the amenities were especially welcome. The room has a large (by hotel standards) refrigerator that worked great (and was silent) and a microwave -- both especially welcome for such a long stay on the road. The shower was great too -- excellent water pressure, nice & hot -- things I no longer take for granted when I'm on the road.

The front desk folks, both day & night, were very friendly and helpful. During my stay I had an urgent need to find a dentist and the folks at the front desk spent quite a bit of time looking for information on area dentists for me.

As with all Courtyards the internet is free, and it was good enough to allow me to stream Netflix and HBO Go on my iPad, which isn't always the case even with internet service you have to pay for. The television in the room was up to date, and there were plenty of electrical outlets in convenient places, so no need to go crawling around the floor to plug in your laptop or other electrical gear.

The location is good, but it's tricky to get into and out of the hotel by car because Independence Blvd. is like a highway, and for some reason I always seemed to be on the wrong side of it, so the biggest issue for me with this hotel the first time I stayed here was figuring out how to get into the parking lot. (That, of course, is not the fault of the hotel.) There are a number of good restaurants nearby (e.g., Bonefish Grill, Carrabba's) as well as basic shopping (e.g., Target), and it's reasonably easy to drive into downtown Charlotte from here.

Overall I recommend this place and will stay here again if/when I return to this area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers and for choosing to stay with us! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed all the amenities for Courtyard by Marriott has to offer. We hope to see you next time you are in the Charlotte/Matthews area!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This reminds me of why I stopped staying in Courtyards for a long time. The hotel is in need of a serious upgrade.

One phone in my room didnt works, one plug on the desk ddnt work ..... old bedding.... drab features .....

From now on I will verify that a Courtyard has gone through its remodel before I stay there ......

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Katie R, Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Matthews, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear David P,

It is with my sincerest apologies that we did not meet all of your expectations. Furthermore, I do greatly appreciate your honesty and opinionated review.

In regards to the hotel, we stay 100% committed to continually enhancing our facilities; in fact, I trust that you would be highly pleased with some of the hotels’s planned upcoming improvements. We recognize that there are great properties in Columbia and we are completely dedicated to frequent improvements of our facilities and amenities so that we may strive to meet and exceed every guest’s expectations.

I hope you are able to visit us again as it would be a pleasure to welcome y’all back and to demonstrate our commitment to service excellence. Please contact me directly if you are planning a visit to the area again, and do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of any assistance to you and your family.

With highest regards,

Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Room was clean, staff was of average friendliness, the location is ideally located on/near major highways. The breakfast buffet is not free, but delicious. My mattress was a bit hard for my taste.
Most pleasant surprise was that when you put the "do not disturb" door hanger up, they leave you a fresh towel and toiletries hanging in a small bag on your door handle. Very thoughtful!

• Stayed: March 2013
Katie R, Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Matthews, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thanks for the review and for choosing the Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte/Matthews!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed here 15 nights. The Staff were all attentive and went above and beyond for me. Of particular note are Dominic, Kimberly, and Tawana. They gave me 5-Star treatment!

The hotel is a typical non-renovated Courtyard, but everything was impeccably clean. The Housekeeping and Maintenance Staff do a great job.

Located right on Independence Blvd with great restaurant choices nearby. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Request a room with a balcony!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. I will make sure to pass on your kind words to the staff! We hope to see you next time you are in the Columbia area! Thanks for staying!

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I was greeted upon arrival by a terrific front desk clerk. He was very able and extremely courteous. I wish I would have gotten his name to share in this review, he was that good. Truthfully, ALL the front desk staff were amazing. As was the breakfast area staff.

The breakfast was typical hotel fare, reasonably priced. I did not attend the manager's reception in my week there.

The rooms were typical Courtyard, meaning they were pleasant (the beds were not so good).

The Internet connection was worse that dial-up, and when I mentioned it I was told that maintenance would be alerted. Either they never were or they could not fix the problem. My line of work requires capable Internet, and even the most basic web pages would not load properly here.

The location is okay. I cannot imagine a vacation in this area, and it is no good for my business so I say pass on this hotel.

The rates are far too high for what you get.

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Lang C,

Thank you so much for taking the time to express your concerns during your stay. It is with my deepest apologies and regret that you experienced problems with the internet during your stay with us.

Communication is key, and I apologize that the front desk agent did not follow through with you on the issue. Our general manager has since spoken to the agent and stressed the importance of communication with our guests as we strive towards service excellence. We understand the importance of the internet to our business traveler and I understand your frustration.

Just to update you-- our IT manager was contacted and the issue has been corrected. As a Marriott property, it is one of our top standards to provide high speed wireless internet at speeds that will impress. I hope that you will visit us again and see for yourself the improvements that have been made.

Thanks again, and please contact me directly if I can be of any assistance to you. We hope to see you soon.

Katie.Register@marriott.com

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed here 3 nights while visiting family & friends. Nice sized room with small refer,microwave, couch & work area - typical for Courtyards. This Courtyard hasn't renovated their lobby to the new standard, but it was well kept. Located right on Indpendence Blvd with the 485 just a half mile south made it easy to get around to the areas I needed. Ample numbers of restaurants in the area, but not in walking distance unless you just running next door to Taco Bell.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matthews
East Forest
Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte Matthews

Been to Courtyard Charlotte Matthews? Share your experiences!