“Steer Clear”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Matthews
Gainesville, Virginia
“Steer Clear”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

In need of change! Very dated, like others mentioned the musty, mildewy, moldy smell is overbearing. If your paying more than $29 a night, you are getting ripped off. This is not worthy of the Marriott name!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Katie R, Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Matthews, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations and take your comments very seriously.

Since your review, we have been using dehumidifying measures in our rooms to combat this moist, hot season. These measures have made a considerable difference. I realize that does not improve your stay, but thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

We hope to see you back again soon so that you can see for yourself the changes we have made. Please contact me at Katie.Register@fowlerhospitality.com if I can help with any of your travel needs. Thanks again for your time and your honesty.

Yours in hospitality,

Katie Register

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Have stayed here on business for several years, but I think I will need to change. The first room they assigned me on the first floor, smelled so strongly of mold/must. I stood there for a minute, and quickly realized I could NOT sleep there. I have never asked for another room in any other hotel, but I had to this time. I was given one with no problem whatsoever. The second room was on the second floor. It still smelled, but wasn't as strong as the first. They need to solve this problem.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Katie R, Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Matthews, responded to this review, September 4, 2012

For 2 weeks now, we have been using dehumidifying measures in our rooms to combat this moist, hot season. These measures have made a considerable difference. I realize that does not improve your stay, but thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Yours in hospitality,

Euless, Texas
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This is an older Courtyard that is in need of an overhaul. It smells of must and mold throughout the hotel. Another problem is the location right on route 74 which makes it very dangerous trying to get our of the hotel parking lot. I noticed a lot of accident debris along the road in front of the entrance/exit. I chose this hotel because it was very close to friends and I did not want to deal with Charlotte traffic. This hotel is on my "No Stay" list.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Katie R, Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Matthews, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Dear GaryKlimeck,

It is with my sincerest apologies that we did not meet all of your expectations and it is with sadness and regret that my team was not able to sense your discontent and offer their personal service resolution. Furthermore, I do greatly appreciate your honesty and opinioned review.

In regards to the hotel, we stay 100% committed to continually enhancing our facilities; in fact, I trust that you would be pleased with some of the hotel’s upcoming improvements. We recognize that there are great properties in Columbia and we are completely dedicated to frequent improvements of our facilities and amenities so that we may strive to meet and exceed every guest’s expectations.

I hope you are able to visit us again as it would be a pleasure to welcome you back and to demonstrate our commitment to service excellence. Please contact me directly if you are planning a visit to the area again, and do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of any assistance to you.

With highest regards,

Sales Manager
Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte/Matthews
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed June 21, 2012

I was here for 4 days, excellent hotel, reasonable rates. Hotel is fairly new and in pristine condition, large indoor hot tub, outdoor pool, gazebo, hammock and fitness center. Very nice landscaping as well as friendly, helpful staff. If you are in the Charlotte, Matthews area I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012
, Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Matthews, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience. We hope you visit us again soon!
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Stayed the weekend of the 9th for two nights. Very clean staff was very friendly and helpful. Pool and gronds kept pretty clean. Some road noise from a very busy highway luckly we had a room on the side. Would not like a room in front of the building. One minor annoyance was the cycling air conditioner had it on low but still was noisy - finally shut it off to get some sleep.
Would stay here again as have stayed in the past

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank peteb301
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. Please let us know next time should you experience any issue at all. We strive to make things right and would have either moved you to a quieter room or had someone take a look at your air conditioner unit. We look forward to you staying with us again soon!
Maple Valley, Washington
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I normally stay at Residence Inn's and always love them. The Courtyard was the only property I could book for my destination. It is a fine property with very nice, friendly staff. The morning diner had a great staff. Rooms are small (hotel like) but clean and fine for a quick stay.....sheets okay but I was wishing I was back in a RI, heating/cooling way to loud. Zero conveniences.....I had to find my own wine opener...Yikes, a business travelers nightmare!.

Unfortunately, this is the best property in the area...that I know of...Independence drive is a bit shady. There was a couple using the hotel for 'day use' checking in before me. This did not make me excited to stay here. Any suggestions for a better property near Matthews?

Room Tip: Flip side of Independence drive by the pool. Road side is horribly noisey!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank atarnove
, Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Matthews, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the property and staff overall. We strive for excellence and happy guests! Just to update you, most Residence Inn properties do provide wine openers in the room as they have full kitchens and are a long term stay hotel. Because we have no full kitchen and are not a long-term stay hotel, we do not provide these in every room. Please know that we do provide wine openers at the front desk. Should we have the pleasure of you staying with us again, please stop by the front desk and we will be more than happy to accommodate your needs. Also, regarding the couple... we have a hospital nearby (2 miles away) and also an airport. It is sometimes the case that flights/appointments may be delayed and people just need somewhere close by to rest. Thanks for choosing to stay with us, and thanks again for the feedback. We hope to see you again in the near future!
El Paso, Illinois
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We were on a road trip with flexible plans. A last minute change had us looking for a last minute hotel deal which we found using our cell phone. We decided to call the hotel directly to see if they would match the rates so we could earn points as we'd been able to do so the night before. Started explaining the situation to the reservation operator and she interrupted saying the deal was not available. I indicated that I was looking at it on my phone and that we'd gotten the same deal the night before at their property in Lexington. She said that we shouldn't have gotten it and asked if we want the room or not? Wow! I wanted to skip the room and go elsewhere but we'd been on the road for 10 hours so we took the room at a $20.00 higher price than I was seeing.

We arrived fifteen minutes later to check in to the hotel. The young man at the desk glanced up and looked at us without saying anything. We indicated that we had a reservation. There was no, " Welcome to the Marriott." We were given our room key and told where the elevator was. That was it. We were really surprised at the lack of friendliness at this propery. Having stayed at many Marriotts and specifically having stayed at the Marriott Lexington property the previous night, this Marriott did nothing to make us feel welcome. It was not until we were checking out the next morning did we even hear a, "Have a nice day." from the employee at the desk.

We also found it interesting that the shampoo and conditioner provided in the room were different brands. It felt like we were getting left overs. Although the room was fine, if a bit small, we would not recommend this property. Marrriott can do better than this and usually does.

We've actually found that rooms at the Marriott Residence Inn are much larger, come with a complete kitchen, real glasses, often have a fireplace in the room, include breakfast, and the staff have always been friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cabdg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matthews
East Forest
Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte Matthews

Been to Courtyard Charlotte Matthews? Share your experiences!