“Charlotte experience <3”

Sleep Inn Matthews - Charlotte
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Matthews
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Its well worth the money because its a midpoint of entire charlotte, people seemed nice. Its right close to the road, traffic is not an issue comparetively to the highway business traffic. We went for a concert and stayed there...food was alright. The room was comfortable, newly renovated one of the better Sleep Inns.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
SleepInnGM, General Manager at Sleep Inn Matthews - Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Thank you for your kind words. We look forward to a return visit from you soon!

There are newer reviews for Sleep Inn Matthews - Charlotte

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Recommend them over other places in univ area..we went to Charlotte for a week for a conference in uptown, loved the stay..very friendly staff and clean contemporary style hotel from breakfast, fitness room to hot tub...loved it! Will be booking my summer stay soon!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank snali110
SleepInnGM, General Manager at Sleep Inn Matthews - Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Thank you for your kind words! Come back and visit again soon!

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I recently stayed at this Sleep Inn and really enjoyed my stay with my wife. We felt welcomed and safe during our stay. Really liked the location near all the nice restaurants. They have new Longhorn in walking distance which was amazing. Definitely recommend this place over the ones I've stayed while visiting this area as I come to Charlotte about once every couple of weeks for work. Keep up the good work and I'll be coming back.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank countryinngm

Thank you for your response! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend business training that was at another nearby hotel. I had two rooms on different floors for myself and others attending the training. Neither room AC worked well, one not really at all. TVs were fuzzy like they were running bootleg cable. Breakfast was never stocked appropriately. Had to beg to get service. Stay somewhere else especially on a weekend.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
SleepInnGM, General Manager at Sleep Inn Matthews - Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

I am very sorry for your experience this weekend. As you know, we were full on the first night of your stay and did not have a location to move you to to correct the TV and AC issue. I am not sure why that was not addressed the second night but I will definitely find out and correct the problem with the staff. We run Time Warner Cable and the other rooms were not reporting any issues. A previous guest may have tampered with the TV while setting up a game system or other electronic Item which would cause the problem.

As you know we were full this weekend. It was unexpected and one of the employees did not come in which made running breakfast a real challenge. I apologize that you were not serviced properly. The desk clerk who checked you out did relay your room complaints to me and as you know we made an adjustment to compensate you for your lack of comfort.

This is not a normal occurence at our hotel and we will correct it immediately. We strive to make every guest experience an enjoyable one and hope to be given the chance to prove ourselves to you.

Thank you for your business.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is NOT a low cost alternative for Charlotte. With taxes, I paid close to $100 a night, and had two terrible nights of sleep. We were on the third floor, and both nights we had LOUD floor noises all night long. I do not think that it was the people above us. but the hallway floor. Also the bath facilities are cheap, cheap, cheap. There is no door for the toilet and shower, only a sliding door which was v. difficult to slide. Bottom line: you can, and should, do a lot better in the Charlotte area!!!

Room Tip: If you do have to stay here, select a room on the top floor (4).
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank authored
SleepInnGM, General Manager at Sleep Inn Matthews - Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

I am so sorry we did not meet your expectations during your stay. Although some of your guests are particularly sensitive to noise, we don't regularly receive such feedback about the noise level unless there is an unruly group in the hotel. I don't have enough information about your dates of stay to check that information. We did have some groups in prior to your writing of this review so it is possible that a group was making noise. If reported to the front desk we can enforce the noise policies that the groups agree to in order to correct the situation.

As for the bathrooms, the pocket door is provided between the toilet and shower area and the room to save space. While that is a great alternative, time and humid bath conditions have caused some of the doors to be hard to operate. Although it cannot correct your past stay, you will be happy to know that the doors are being replaced when we do our scheduled renovation next year with new easier to operate pocket doors.

Again I apologize for your experience and do hope that you will return in the future and allow us to make it up to you.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I recently stayed at another Sleep Inn in Charlotte and was very pleased. I assumed this one would be similar. I'm pretty easy to please with hotel accommodations and travel quite a bit. In fact, I have never written a bad review before this one.

Check-in was a breeze with the nice staff, and the room was clean and comfortable. The hotel has light sensors that turn lights off when no one is there. While taking a shower, the lights went completely off every 10 seconds so I had to get out of the shower and wave my hand in front of the light switch to turn them back on--every 10 seconds. After that experience, I went down for breakfast. In the other Sleep Inn, they offered scrambled eggs, meat and a variety of other breakfast foods. This one only had a refrigerator stocked with questionable foods and a waffle maker and several pastries. I decided on the waffles until I saw there was no syrup anywhere--only peanut butter and some packets of honey. At least they couldn't mess up the hot chocolate--so I thought. The hot water was at best lukewarm. I've eaten breakfast at many hotels, but this was by far the absolute worst. There were no breakfast attendants to be seen.

When I complained about the lights to the desk clerk, he noted that Duke Power gave them a discount for installing these types of switches. I don't believe the discounts will make up for the lost customers.

If this had been my first experience with the Sleep Inn brand, it would be my last. Next time, I will go to the University Place Sleep Inn if I decide to return to the brand.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
SleepInnGM, General Manager at Sleep Inn Matthews - Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear KenRNC,

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your stay.

I sincerely apologize for your experience. This is not a normal occurrence. We did recently have a company install the energy saving light switches in the rooms. The switch in your room has malfunctioned and the room was put on block immediately after you checked out, and the maintenance staff replaced the switches on Monday. This is a new product for us and we had not had that issue before. We appreciate your bringing it to our attention. I do understand your frustration with the answer you received from the desk clerk as it did not solve your problem. This review will be shared with him during retraining.

We are in the process of reviewing our breakfast offerings and trying to expand them. The Sleep Inn's were not originally built to provide the new hot breakfast that Sleep Inn is now offering, our kitchen is not currently set up to be compliant with the health code to serve hot breakfast. That situation is being reviewed and we will be addressed it in our future renovation plans. I will be addressing the fact that you could not locate the breakfast attendant to as well.

Again I apologize for your experience and should you wish to speak with me further please contact me at 704-841-1660 or via e-mail at gm.nc032@choicehotels.com

April Grant

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Room was a good size and clean, hot shower, and a comfy bed. Staff was friendly. Free breakfast wasn't great, but then again it was free. The room had a fridge, microwave, and a decent size TV.

Be warned, the whole 5th floor smells like smoke (it's the only smoking floor), location wise, it's close to restaurants and shopping, but not super close to anywhere of relevance in Charlotte, and it is off a very busy street, so expect 2-5 minutes waiting at the light.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
SleepInnGM, General Manager at Sleep Inn Matthews - Charlotte, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear Jason,

I apologize for the lateness in this response. I had spoken with you previously regarding this issue when you presented it through Choice Hotels.

Again I sincerely apologize for the treatment you received. We do require ID for special rate discounts but since you were with your co-workers the situation dedinitely should have been handled very differently.

I do hope that you will give us a chance to make it up to you. Please contact me at gm.nc032@choicehotels.com or 704-841-1660 with any questions.

April Grant

Also consider these accommodations in or near Matthews
East Forest
Best Western Plus Charlotte/Matthews Hotel
Econolodge & Suites
#10 of 12 in Matthews

Been to Sleep Inn Matthews - Charlotte? Share your experiences!