“Bad choice”

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Matthews
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Bad choice”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

Front desk person was rude at checkout the morning of 3/11 and not helpful at all. My room never got cleaned and had to ask to have it cleaned and just opted for new towels. I would say the hotel was clean but service was just not good at all. I am a director of Customer service and this sleep in failed at every level of service.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank chris k
SleepInnGM, General Manager at Sleep Inn Matthews - Charlotte, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Chris K,

I apologize for the lateness of this response. I am sorry for the experience you had at the Sleep Inn. I assure you that it was not the normal level of service we provide. We were almost full and had lost some employees especially in housekeeping. House keeping worked until late servicing rooms but we unable to make it to all rooms prior to the guests return. I am sorry your room was not serviced. The employee in question was dealt with by the owner and we apologize for his rudeness.

Our goal is always to provide all guests with excellent service and I am sorry that we were unable to do so in yor case. We would welcome the opportunity to prove ourselves to you in the future.

Thank you for your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

Very convenient location. Room was nice, clean and as expected for the good price. Loved the huge shower. TV's could be updated. Breakfast area was small and crowded. To our amazement there was noone working to keep the breakfast area cleaned and stocked. Food was getting low at 7:30, tables were left with trash on them, and trash cans were full. There were no forks so my husband started looking for them himself. I went to front desk and rang bell to ask who was working the breakfast area. A very sleepy man came from the back and said he was working both places. By the time he came over my husband had found the forks so the man dumped the whole box in the container and went back to the front desk without checking or restocking anything else. First time ever staying in a hotel where they did not have someone dedicated to this area. Second problem we had was with housekeeping in that they still were not at our room at 4:00. I found the housekeeper and exchanged our wet towels, got more kleenex and shampoo and told her we did not want our room cleaned so we could stay in it until it was time to leave for our next game. This could be a great place to stay if service was better.

• Stayed March 2012
Dear crewsn77,

I apologize for the late response and your experience at the Sleep Inn Matthews. You and many others we in attendance for a tournament and we were almost full. Unfortunately we lost some staff and were short handed during that time. We had several people covering multiple areas and a shortage of housekeeping. That in no way excuses the service issues you experienced. I am so sorry our problem negatively affected your stay and I assure you that those problems have been rectified and should not occur again.

We always strive to provide excellent service for all of our guests. If given the chance we would welcome the opportunity to prove ourselves to you.
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

We have stayed in Matthews and picked this hotel because many of the others have doubles not queens in their double rooms. The beds were very comfortable and the room was well-appointed. The shower was much more roomy than it looked. The bathroom had a slider door which wasn't very clean. It was the only issue of cleanliness I noticed and I just cleaned it myself. The breakfast was OK but not nearly as well stocked on Monday morning as it had been on Sunday. There seemed to be plenty of staff at the desk and they were very polite and prompt.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
SleepInnGM, General Manager at Sleep Inn Matthews - Charlotte, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Thank you for your review! I am sorry about the cleanliness of the pocket door in the bathroom. The housekeeping supervisor was alerted to this problem and immediately did a staff meeting with all the room attendants about the bathroom doors. Upon inspection, I did find that the majority of the rooms did not have that problem but I was embarrassed that there was even one. We had additional people eating breakfast on Monday morning so it was harder to keep up but I did advise the staff that they should stock breakfast heavier during the weekday mornings so we don't run low.

I hope you will visit us again on your next trip to the area.
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2011

We stayed here visiting family in the area and enjoyed the stay. Nothing special about the rooms. About what you would expect from a sleep inn except they had upgraded the TV to a flat screen. Did not use the breakfast area but it looked clean when we walked by.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! Our housekeeping staff prides itself in the cleanliness of the rooms! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

A little expensive for a sleep inn but nice, clean and has 37 inch lcd tv in the rooms. 80 a night but clean, safe and quiet which means a lot. Rooms are sleep inn small

• Stayed August 2011
Thank you for your feedback. Our rates run in line with the other hotels in our area. We are however still the best value in the area. The LCD TV's are the newest addition to our rooms (installed in May 2011). We hope to see you back when you are in the area.
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

This location is great and the employees are very friendly. Our room was well-appointed. The beds were comfortable and everything worked well.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! We hope you stay with us again on future travels.
South San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2006

I was looking forward to a nice smoking suite room when I reserved the 'higher end' $100++ suite vs. $70 room on the hotel's website. Upon arrival, the lady made a mistake and gave me a non-suite room (201). I called front desk and they immediately moved me to a smoking suite (421). The suite room was a bigger room with a refrigerator, microwave and a whirlpool. The room looked OK on initial inspection. Unfortunately, my stay didn't meet my expectations at all. First of all, the coffee maker was dirty and looked like it wasn't used at all. Secondly, the microwave was missing the rotating glass plate. Lastly, the shower rod fell off when I tried to take a shower. I called front desk (6PM) about the dirty coffee maker and the missing glass plate in the microwave oven and was told to come down to the lobby where they have coffee all night. He was unwilling to deal with my issues because he said he was the only employee on the premises. I was very disappointed and would not stay with them again.

• Liked — Locaiton
  • Disliked — Service
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at the nearby Hampton Inn
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank 6Charlie
SleepInnGM, General Manager at Sleep Inn Matthews - Charlotte, responded to this review, March 7, 2008
I apologize for the problem with your stay. We value guests such as you and strive to make each stay a great one. We continuously train our employees on improving customer service and I am sure the problem has been rectified. I do hope you will give us another chance to meet your expectations in the future.