Pork & Pie
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed November 16, 2013

When you walk into the restaurant, you know you will find something to enjoy. The warm red and yellow colors on the walls and booths and the charming vases of fresh flowers on each table invite you to sit down and make yourselves comfortable--which is very easy to do. Today's visit was the first for my husband and me, and we look forward to many more. We chose Brunch Specials and both were excellent. I had the Crab Louie--a delicious combination of well-seasoned spinach, perfectly poached egg, delicately- seasoned and meaty crab cake and flavorful biscuit bottom all topped with a tangy citrusy cheese sauce garnished with chopped scallions. Joe's Catfish Étouffée was a harmonious blend of perfectly-seasoned catfish fillets along with a poached egg on cheesy grits topped with a rich and flavorful crawfish sauce. The only missing ingredient was perhaps some fruit (fresh pineapple, grapes and oranges are reliable winter choices) or even a tasty parsley--as garnishes for the plates as well as rounding out the entree. We shared the white chocolate bread pudding and it, too, was lovely--not too sweet and not too rich.

I don't want to omit the pork rinds starter that is served with drinks. Superbly crunchy and lightly seasoned with a cajun salt blend, they are a delicious and light accompaniment to any beverage.

Service is outstanding, Our waitress was knowledgeable and seemed to enjoy her work. Because we had to wait a little while for the dessert, she gave us a complimentary glass of beer --a very thoughtful gesture. P and P's selections of wines and beers(draft and bottles) is well-chosen and reasonably priced.The atmosphere is cheerful yet cozy. Even though the floor is not carpeted the noise level is low enough for easy conversation.

Pork and Pie is far enough away from Asheville, a well-known foodie destination, to not have to compete, but I predict that it will not be long before more will find their way over to Marshall as their first choice for a dining out adventure

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I'm glad Marshall added a new restaurant downtown. We usually go to a consistent place and we decided to try something new while in town. Glad we did.
They have fresh selections made to order which was nice. Today was a meatball pizza. and Lobster risotto. I opted for the pickle pie, which had my co-worker curious. Not bad, they put a half-slice pickle on each piece of pizza. Different and good,
I recommend. They have other creole dishes as well.
The only con is the service is slow. I know the crowd in Marshall, so nothing new too me. Just be patient, the people mean well.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Seriously. I don't mean this-is-what-passes-for-gourmet-in-the-hills. The owner was the head chef in a very large French restaurant in Baton Rouge. He chose a lower stress life-style. He knows what he is doing.

My wife had a chicken and apple pizza. The flavors were tantalizing. We couldn't quite identify all of the flavors, but they were outstanding. I had read beans and rice. It sounds humble, but it was the chef's own creation. It had shallots and sweet onions. It had more crunch and subtler flavors than the typical red beans and rice. It was authentic, only better.

The name of the restaurant refers to the menu - a mix of pork dishes and pizzas. As the menu put it, "Creole and Italian". Where else would you find that?

The best thing about the restaurant was it cheerfulness. On Friday night, it was full. There was a lot of conversation across tables and among tables. People just enjoyed being there. In fact, we discovered that another patron was celebrating a birthday, on the same day as my wife's. We sent their table an order of beignets. (That's pronounced ben-yays. If you don't know what they are, you have to visit the French Market on Jackson Square in New Orleans.) Pork and Pie is that kind of restaurant. We went in as strangers and left as friends.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Set in a historical building in the ghost town of Marshall, NC, Pork and Pie has a great atmosphere -in A Democratic Party environment
We arrived around 7 PM on a Friday night in early November(11/1}
to basically an empty restaurant -two tables were taken. It got a "little busier, later on)
They start the diner out with a complimentary basket of Pork Rinds
This maybe the worst food I have ever tasted in my meager 68 years of existence.
We both ordered the specials. Wife number 3 ordered Fried Catfish($16) served with aside of shrimp entonfte
(spelling) It was basically shrimp and rice- Excellent and loved
I ordered Beef Short Ribs served with thin fries and a fabulous spinach saute EXCELLENT also $16 Both specials were the most expensive items on the menu and very ample portions to boot
The menu consists of Cajun dishes:Red Rice and Beans($8), Oysters ($10)
Osso Bucco , and some other Pasta dishes. The other side had very different and special choices of Pizza - which looked good- thin crust style
Great reasonably priced wine choices
The highlight for wife #3 was the white chocolate Bread Pudding
For whatever the reason NO BREAD PUDDING CAN BE FOUND in AVL
The Bill, with tip, came to $65( three glasses of wine @$6 per)
A little pricey, but well worth it, especially compared to downtown AVL
Service was enthusiastic. They want to exceed
Will return . This is a good restaurant choice for a difficult and demanding patron
Give it a try
The drive to Marshall is Fabulous Mountains and great light

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We were in the area for friends' wedding and were driving around just to get a feel for the area. We stopped in Marshall because we needed a break from the winding roads. After walking around the town for a bit, we decided to pick a restaurant for lunch. We chose Pork & Pie at random and still can't believe our luck.
First, the restaurant was country charming. We got a kick out of the over-sized homespun cloth napkins. For an appetizer we ordered a conch fritter dish that was outstanding and has now set a new standard for us. Then, the waitress brought us complementary fried pork rinds. Only two of our party were brave enough to try the rinds but they were surprised how tasty they were. The house salads that came with the entrees were delicious and had lots of goodies in them.
For entrees we ordered catfish (outstanding, crispy, not greasey and the cole slaw was the best ever), mac and cheese made with boursin cheese and truffles (worth the calories) and a mushroom pizza (crispy thin crust and a variety of mushrooms). We LOVED everything!
Even though we were stuffed, we ordered dessert after seeing a nearby table's dessert. Beignets that rival the best New Orleans has to offer.
Our waitress and the other staff was friendly, helpful and attentive.
Someone else in our party took lots of photos that I will try to post soon.