Review Highlights

Awesome adventure!

Reviewed August 23, 2018
mfm451
River Forest, Illinois

All reviews half day trip the french broad river rafting trip white water rafting great trip oreos class rapids felt completely safe water shoes showers and changing rooms great guide a lot of fun great pictures wet clothes hummus family reunion small cliff
Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

Doug is got to be one of the best guides on a tour of the river . He made our wife’s feel at ease on the raft the tour was so amazing. Y’all need to put this on your bucket list of to do in life . They are a first class bunch of folks.

BlueHeronWhitewater, Owner at Blue Heron Whitewater, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2018

Thanks for rafting with us and I will pass your comments along to Doug. Glad you had a good trip and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 23, 2018

Great fun for our family of inexperienced rafters! We spotted a blue heron while on the river and had many laughs with the friends we made on our raft. Jordan is a very cool guide who loves what he does, and Laura is super helpful as well. The strong emphasis on safety put everyone at ease. Very happy we chose Blue Heron and would definitely do it again. If you’re considering it, book it!

BlueHeronWhitewater, Owner at Blue Heron Whitewater, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2018

Thanks for rafting with us! We really appreciate it. And thanks also for writing a review. That's very helpful for a small company like ours. I will pass your comments on to Jordan and Laura, though I'm afraid it might make Jordan insufferable. Thanks again and hope you'll join us again soon.

Reviewed August 21, 2018

We visited Blue Heron as part of a corporate weekend. Wags did a great job entertaining everyone on the way from our hotel to the base. The company focused on safety and our guide did a terrific job of coaching and encouraging us throughout the 9 mile trip down the river. The bathrooms at the base are clean and offer changing rooms and showers - which was a plus. I would definitely recommend this company and this experience to anyone visiting the area!

BlueHeronWhitewater, Owner at Blue Heron Whitewater, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2018

Hi and thanks for both your review and your recommendation. Yes, Wags is certainly and endlessly entertaining. Thanks again for rafting with us and hope you'll go down the river with us again sometime.

Reviewed August 20, 2018

My daughter and I had done rafting with another bigger company 2 years ago. This was the big highlight of our trip to the mountains this past summer.I called the night before and talked to Sandy and she got all 3 of us booked for the morning. My wife was really nervous and even having a panic attack in the bathroom. We were on the same raft with another family from Florida who we had met 2 days ago having dinner in Hot Springs. Laura went over everything with everyone and definitely so much personal touch and knowledge of the area and river. Tyler was our guide he's a great young guy who we all got to get to know very well and like a lot. My daughter and the other girl with her family were able to even swim in the river off the raft. My wife Angela actually loved it and relaxed after the first to drops. Your company has shown me I will be always recommending Blue Heron. We are wanting to plan a fall trip for October and would look forward to riding the waves with you guys again. Thank you for a great experience on the French Broad River.

John McGrath
Chuluota,Florida

BlueHeronWhitewater, Owner at Blue Heron Whitewater, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2018

Glad you all had a good trip. That's an amazing coincidence, rafting with folks you met at dinner days earlier. I will pass your comments along to Tyler, Laura and Sandy. The river valley is a beautiful place in the fall with all the colors. Hope to see then an thanks again for rafting with us.

Reviewed August 14, 2018

This rafting experience was totally awesome. Patrick, our guide was so knowledgeable about the river and the area. He made us feel very safe on an exciting rafting experience. I highly recommend this for anyone over the age of 8. The guides fully prepare you for your trip down the river. It's great!!!

BlueHeronWhitewater, Owner at Blue Heron Whitewater, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2018

We appreciate you going down the river with us and thanks for writing a review. I'll let Patrick know of your comments, thanks again and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 10, 2018 via mobile

We had a great adventure with Blue Heron. First off, it is a top notch establishment. Secondly, the guides were awesome. Very friendly and took care of everything in the raft. Doug, Paul and JP were great. Highly recommended for rafters of all levels. Facilities afterwards were nice and clean and they have good merch to buy if you want. 5 stars all the way

BlueHeronWhitewater, Owner at Blue Heron Whitewater, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2018

Thanks for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to do that. Glad you had a good trip and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 9, 2018 via mobile

We just got back from a 1/2 day trip on the French Broad River. The Blue Heron experience was fantastic. The place is neat, well-suited for trip prep. They have you check in, sign forms and watch a video on what to do and what NOT to do (spoiler alert: Don’t put your feet down if you fall overboard!). they provide paddles, helmets and life jackets.

The store is well stocked and affordable. Wear water shoes. You’re invited to borrow from their lost and found water shoe collection or you may buy shoes there. The prices are reasonable (I think $10 for water shoes).

They collect keys in a box, and I brought a waterproof case for my phone. Honestly, there are few places to take pictures while actually rafting and I’d leave my phone in the car next time. The staff do take photos of you from the shore and they’re ok. You can buy them afterwards if you want. We didn’t. The good thing is they don’t hard sell.

The staff is excellent. Our raft guide, Tyler, was friendly, professional, and did a great job. The river had class I to III rapids. I wish it was longer. It was only 1 1/2 hours on the River. The water was ice and cool, and the whitewater was manageable. Nothing too dangerous. Ok for about 8 and older. I’m 53 and loved it. My 18 year old daughter loved it too.

We were invited to swim at only one spot in the river. We took advantage, but the family of 4 in our boat stayed on board. It was an absolute blast and I’d highly recommend it.

BlueHeronWhitewater, Owner at Blue Heron Whitewater, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to write this review, we really appreciate it. Glad you had a good trip! I will pass your comments along to Tyler. Thanks again for rafting with us and hope to see you on the river soon.

Reviewed August 8, 2018 via mobile

Awesome time. Reasonable price, nice ride, everything was as advertised. Jordan was our guide and he was funny and engaging. Fast trip due to higher water but was really great.

Glad you had a good trip and thanks for your review. I will pass your comments along to Jordan. Thanks for rafting with us and hope to see you on the river with us again soon.

Reviewed August 8, 2018 via mobile

We had such at blast rafting with Blue Heron Whitewater! We paid online, so checkin was quick and easy. The briefing and equipment fitting was excellent and we felt perfectly prepared for the experience. Our guide “JP” was fantastic. He was very personable and professional and obviously very skilled at rafting. The rafting was exhilarating and extremely fun. We felt completely safe the whole time. The scenery was very beautiful. The pictures they captured of our boat were priceless. I can’t wait to return. Highly recommended.

Glad you had a good trip and thanks for rafting with us!

Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

What a fantastic experience we had! We'd reserved 13 spots for the afternoon trip on Friday, August 3rd. That morning, Sandy called me to describe the high water conditions (due to recent rains) and said it would be an exciting and challenging trip. She was very clear about the risks and wanted to make sure we were prepared for it. She also offered a refund for any of our group if they decided not to go (two did drop out). The other bonus was that we were doing the full length trip at the half-trip price since the water was running so fast!
After we got to the office, Wags did a thorough orientation of what we should expect, as well as any necessary safety procedures while on the river. We went to the starting point, and we were off! The water was indeed high, fast, and FUN! Wags, Jordan, and Drew were excellent river guides and were key in making the perfect day for our group. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this outfit, or to go with them again.

BlueHeronWhitewater, Owner at Blue Heron Whitewater, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2018

Great! Glad you all had a good trip. We are certainly enjoying all the water we are getting this summer. Hope to see you again some time. Thanks!