“Best value”

Wolf Ridge Ski Resort
Ranked #2 of 6 things to do in Mars Hill
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Enjoy premier skiing and snowboarding, long range views, mountain top lodging, and playful snow tubing at Wolf Ridge Resort.
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Quality of the snow was excellent. I made sure to go on a weekday a day after it had snowed a bit and temps were low enough that the snow hadn't melted. The surface was as good as any I've experienced on the east coast. They had groomed most of it, I'm not sure if they can groom the very top of the mountain. The easiest run was very nice for beginners as it started very slow before getting steeper. In not much space they managed to have some good diversity. One run featured bumps that people were getting some decent air on. Runs were not super well marked, but it was easy enough to figure it out or to ask someone.

There was a pretty good amount of people there, lessons going on in the beginner area all day, and yet I never felt like I really had to wait in line. At worst I had to wait for maybe 5 chairs. As soon as there were enough people there to make such a line, they sent a mostly friendly woman out to help make sure we were loading the lift fully and not cutting in line. I felt they were committed to making sure we had the best experience possible.

The new management seems really invested in making this a good place to ski. I only ate a snickers bar and a gatorade, but I go to ski not eat. They were even selling little packets of smore ingredients that you could roast over the fire. I thought that was a neat creative touch. The lodge wasn't anything too special, but a better atmosphere than other cheap ski resorts I've experienced. If you want aspen, go pay for aspen. I don't want to pay more just for a fancy lodge.

Rental ski's were fine. I had no line. I have my own boots and they quickly adjusted their bindings to fit, no problem.

All reviews
"quad lift"
"ski shop"
"lift operators"
in 4 reviews
"private lesson"
"tube run"
in 2 reviews
"the staff was super friendly"
"lodge staff"
in 7 reviews
"mountain"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Went for the first time this past week and had a great time. Very chill atmosphere with nice fire places in the lodge, good food and very friendly staff. Only half the mountain was open but still had fun with some good snow. The lifts were a little slow and definitely could be MUCH faster. Definitely should blow snow much more often than they do. If all slopes were open with good snow (like all other resorts) this mountain would be unbeatable.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

I went think a group of 6 overall the trip was a good experience there were some mechanical issues that put a delay on getting on the mountain but the staff was great they let us board a couple hours after our time cut off which was pretty tight. The food was decent but who goes there for the food it's all about the mountain ,they opened up 3 new slopes as well. The staff here's is great. Laid back, chill and helpful, if you need help with your board or advice on a setup and boarding go see Brian at the snowboard rental station, he will hook you up. Thanks for your help my man!

1  Thank Twmitchell
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Do not waste your money. Staff is ineffective. We arrived at the hill at 9am and didn't get on the slopes until 11am. First we waited in line for a lift ticket. Then we had to wait in line again for rentals. Lines take forever. Once you are finally ready to ski, it took us over 30 minutes to get on a lift. Runs were all pure ice. For some reason they weren't making snow. Will never return...awful

4  Thank islandbreeze62