“A great stopping point”

Quality Inn & Suites Maggie Valley - Cherokee Area
Ranked #18 of 25 Hotels in Maggie Valley
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I read some of the other reviews just before I started to write mine and some of them do have valid points - I would have liked to have seen the hot tub a bit clearer.

We stayed in a suite which had: window seat; queen bed; two side tables, one desk, one dining table, a sofa, coffee table, and kitchen area with microwave, refrigerator, and cabinets.

The bed was comfortable and there was able reading light for my husband who elected to read while I napped. He really liked the window seat for reading. We were on the first floor and despite the three of so motorcycles we saw in the parking lot, we really didn't hear much noise.

As another reviewer noted, if you do not state that you have pet, you will be asked to sign a pet waiver. They do allow pets and by law, 10% of the rooms must be "pet free" so be sure to ask if allergies are a concern.

The front desk clerk was helpful when it came to dining suggestions. Again, we passed on the breakfast so I cannot comment about that but the room was set-up for the standard fare: waffles, juice, cold cereal.

The location was perfect for us as the Smoky Mountains received snow and they had to shut down the Gap road. The prices were much cheaper than what we would have paid for the convenience of being near the casino in Cherokee.

It was a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 10, 2009

Not up to par with other Microtel properties that I have stayed at. Room was clean, albeit small. Certainly acceptable for the prices. Hated to keep bothering the desk staff, he couldn't be bothered to give me time of day. Pool as cloudy and full of chemicals that smelled and made our skin itch on contact. maybe 6 inches of visibility. Hot tub just as bad. If I would have known the area, I think one of the private run local no tell motels would have been comparable for pricing and quality.
Don't forget, restaurants open after 9pm are sparse in Maggie Valley. Plan ahead.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 30, 2009

We had a great stay, we didn't encounter any problems! The rooms were very clean and the free breakfast was very nice! We went with some friends and they actually forgot some of there stuff in the room, we called after check out to see if it had been found, the had it waiting at the front desk for us to pick up... There was a car show going on the weekend we were there, and there were several cars, everyons there was a paying customer and had every right to park there.. Will stay at Microtel in future!!! And love the fact it is clean and animal friendly!!! =)

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2009

I was disappointed in my stay. Most significantly about the loss of a gown I left behind. When I showered the morning we left, I had placed my floor length Soma nightgown on the bathroom hook behind the door. It was inadvertently left behind. I realized this when unpacking later that evening. When I called the following morning, disappointingly the gown had not been turned in by housekeeping. The desk clerk took my phone number and checked the room we had occupied after the new occupant checked out. The gown was not recovered. I'm bothered by this lack of honesty by housekeeping and view this incident as theft. As I'm usually very thorough about checking the room before leaving, this is the first time Ive actually left something behind. I fully expected the gown would be in lost and found and to be returned when I called to report is missing. Also...we signed a no animal clause but heard a dog in one of the rooms. The breakfast hours were 7-9am and we thought we were told 7-10am so we missed breakfast. Also, Ill say that we have frequently experienced a disconnect between online reservations and the actual hotel, I called directly to the hotel make my reservations. The front desk was unable to match the internet rate offered by Microtels website so I had to pay $2 more for the night just to be sure we had a room.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank king0044
Reviewed June 28, 2009

My wife & I wanted a reasonably priced hotel close to the Cherokee casino and we have had excellent past experiences with the Microtel chain. We checked in at 3 p.m. and went to the casino. Returned at 11 p.m. and found the parking lot FULL (30+ people!) of twenty something boys sitting in the parking lot drinking and blocking the back of the lot at the entrance such that you could not drive around. They were having some kind of tricked out car show in the parking lot (what the heck is that about?). The clerk called the police TWICE to get them removed, but then told the police as long as they are not doing anything illegal then they could stay?!? We got a refund only after my wife had the clerk call the manager and we refused to stay because we really didn't use the room yet. No vacancy at other hotels - we drove to Morganton and stayed there on the way back home. Make sure you CALL FIRST and ask if they are letting people have some kind of event in their parking lot so you don't go through this!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2009

I went there with 3 friends, stayed one night. The room reservation was made online with my credit card. When we left, we paid in cash, splitting the cost for the room.

6 months later, the hotel charged my credit card and asked me to produce a cash receipt to prove that we really had paid for the room.
Who keeps a cash receipt for 6 months?
I have 3 witnesses who were with us when we paid, but that was not enough.

I called the hotel 3 times, tried to talk to the hotel manager. I sent him a letter. He NEVER replied to my letter and never returned my phone calls. Each time I called, I was told: "you just missed him and we don't know when he will be back"
I have never had this experience before and have stayed in MANY hotels.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed October 20, 2007

I had booked this room a few months back and I had read some reviews on another website and thought it was a good choice. After reviewing the pictures and the tour, it looked like a decent place to stay in Maggie Valley. After reviewing the comments on this website, I was a little unsure, but I decided to give it a try. Once i got to the hotel, the desk clerk was very friendly and made us feel very welcome (I went with my husband). We checked in around 200pm and we got to check in. Most hotels don't allow checkin until 3pm, so we were fortunate. The rate was very good for what we paid for. The beds were very comfortable and I had a good nights sleep. The breakfast area was quite bigger than what I expected.Overall, I will place a review on every website I can about this hotel, because it is a nice place to stay and it was beautiful from our room. The fall foilage was very nice this year! WIll return!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank vkp123
Best Western Smoky Mountain Inn
The Clarketon Motel
The Clarketon Motel
#11 of 25 in Maggie Valley

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Maggie Valley - Cherokee Area? Share your experiences!