“A hotel fee switch during a family emergency”

Best Western Mountainbrook Inn
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Maggie Valley
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

I was very disappointed with this stay. My family have stayed here many times and had a good experience. We were called up to Maggie Valley because my mother was admitted to the hospice hospital. When we checked in we were given a price for the 3 days we reserved. We called prior to our original checkout and told Courtney that we were extending our stay due to my mother's health was deterioriating. Courtney told us they would switch our rate to the weekly rate. She quoted us $377 and change thru our checkout date. This conversation took place on Thursday May 2. On May 5 we were getting ready to check out and review our bill. The bill was $577. We commented to Keith that the bill was wrong and that was not what we were quoted. He said that was our bill. We asked to speak to a manager. Keith texted the male manager and then he told Sabrina "It's 7 so Im outta here". Sabrina tried to help straighten this mess out. She called the female manager and said the manager would be calling around 10:00 to adjust the rate. The manager called and was not helpful. When we asked how our bill went from $377 to $577 in two days. She explained that the rate changed to $129 due to the motorcycle rally Thunder in the Mountain. We stated we were supposed to be given a weekly rate and we checked in prior to the rally. When we pressed the issue of being given the quote from Courtney, the manager stated that Courtney was mistaken. We told the manager that it was not our responsibility that Courtney gave us the wrong information. We told the manager that we will dispute anything over our quote on our credit card. We also told her that we intended to notify the corporate office, place a review on Trip Advisor and contact the Better Business Bureau. We are Reward members with Best Western and this is not the way anyone should be treated. I feel the hotel knew they could get more for the rooms because of the motorcycle rally and decided to renig on their agreement with us.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank AprilB1216
cougar00, Front Office Manager at Best Western Mountainbrook Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear AprilB1216,

I'm concerned about the problem you experienced at our hotel during your recent visit. I'm writing to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

We accommodate many guests each evening, and we strive to make their stay a satisfying one. The principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to all of our guests at reasonable prices. Consequently, it's disappointing to learn that you're unhappy.

Please accept my sincere apology.

I want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken seriously. They tell us what we're doing right, what we're doing wrong and how we can improve. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated.

Regarding your reservation, we did adjust the additional charges that were valid. I am not sure where the misunderstanding came in, but we do not have weekly rates. As we discussed on Sunday and Today, the 6th of May, you were not charged the $129 rate on the weekend because you did check in well before that and you stayed a total of 8 nights. However, we do apologize for the misunderstanding. We strive to make every guests' experience a pleasant one and we deeply apologize for this. In the end, we will take serious steps to prevent this in the future.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

We are going to this place since 2009 and we always stays at the room 225, we call that room our apartment in the mountains, we are from florida and we like to go there to cool down. That place is fantastic, the view is exceptionel, it is very clean all the time, David that was working there make us feeling at home. THE ONLY THING THAT I AM ASKING IT IS A FREE NIGHT AT THAT PLACE FOR OUR 23TH ANNIVERSARY THAT WILL BE MAY 18TH 2013. Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
cougar00, Front Office Manager at Best Western Mountainbrook Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Thank you very much! We are happy to hear about your stays at our Best Western. I will be sure to tell David about your kind comments. Looking forward to serving you again in the future. I will be calling you shortly about your reservation next month.

Take care,
Twinkle P. - Front Desk Manager

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I read that this hotel having newly renovated rooms. I'm not sure what that means. The hotel is obviously older -- not a bad thing at all! Having a real double sash window to open is nice, but I'm not sure that ours was one of the newly renovated rooms.

However, while the hotel is touted as being completely non-smoking, the room we were given definitely had the aroma of cigarette smoke and the comforter on one of the beds has cigarette burns in it. We even found cigarette ashes in the sink. We hoped that the circulation of air would help the smell and it did for the most part.

The beds were hard. No. Not like not soft, but HARD.

The staff were kind and helpful. The breakfast was reasonably good.

Room Tip: Our room was 108. I would ask for a different one. Maybe ask for one of the renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for completing a review on our hotel. I am upset to hear that your stay with us was not as expected. We take great pride in our guest service and the cleanliness of our hotel and we take all feedback very seriously. We want to do everything we can to make sure any issues you have with us are corrected so you will come back and see us in the future. I hate to hear that you had trouble with your room. Please know that we have a maintanence staff on hand to correct these issues while you are here. We never want you to have a problem during your stay and if you do, we want to correct it immediately. We appreciate your business and we would love for you to give us another opportunity. Sorry again for the troubles you encountered during your stay with us.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 3, 2013

The room we had was in the rear of the building and it was extremely quiet. The bed was the only issue I had with the room, it was too firm to me. The room was extremely clean. The alarm clock did not work correctly. The main reason I would be back to this particular hotel was they allowed me to stay on the room an extra hour to participate in a conference call. They did not have to do this and several other hotels didn't allow this.

Room Tip: Ask for the rear of the hotel for your room, it is very quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us! It was our pleasure to make you feel at home with us. I will be sure to pass along your kind comments. Thank you again for sharing your experience and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed March 20, 2013

hotel was advertised as being newly renovated. the renovation consisted of bandaids to cover up outdated room. most noticable was the shower curtain rod. it was new BUT the large holes left behind by the old one were not filled in.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your comments. We strive to provide clean, comfortable accommodations for all of our guests. We do have a maintenance staff on duty to ensure these problems are fixed. We are very sorry for the inconvenience and we appreciate the comments. Thank you for helping us with these areas of opportunity.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I checked in around 5:30pm on March 8, 2013. I believe the front desk associates name was Sabrina. She was very friendly, and informative. She gave several options for dinner, several with coupons. The hotel itself is under renovations. We stayed in a newly renovated room, that was great. Very clean, and comfortable beds. Free wifi with code that was given upon check in. About 20 min drive over the mountain to Cherokee. It was my first time to Harrah's casino. Great experience, lots of shops and a very enjoyable weekend getaway.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kim S

Thank you very much! A review like this makes everyone at the Best Western very proud. It means a lot to us to have a happy guest tell other travelers about their great experience. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Maggie Valley
Four Seasons Inn
Four Seasons Inn
#11 of 25 in Maggie Valley
Maggie Valley Inn and Conference Center

Been to Best Western Mountainbrook Inn? Share your experiences!