“"Always great food"”

Joey's Pancake House
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Open daily 7 am until 12 pm. Closed Thursdays. Established in 1966, Joey's Pancake House has become a Maggie Valley landmark. With a history of serving top notch breakfasts coupled with good old fashioned customer service Joey's is a tradition with visitors and locals of our area. From our signature pancakes and golden waffles to our country ham and hashbrown casserole you are sure to find a favorite that will keep you coming back for more. And of course every single dish is served with love.
NC
“"Always great food"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

Joey's Pancake House is our most favorite breakfast place in Haywood County. It's a 35 mile round trip for us, but my wife and I don't mind. As former restaurant owners we understand what it takes to run a great business. Joey's has it all. Great service, great food and nice people. Sometimes there is a waitlist but there is always free coffee in the inside waiting area, great on cold mornings. And the coffee Ladies inside never let your cup get empty. Great menu variety and they usually have a few specials. As haywood County residents for over 25 years we enjoy having such a nice friendly breakfast place.

2 Thank NcShorty

“Good but Over-rated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

It's very popular but I think over-rated. The food and service are very good, but it's over-priced. It has a reputation and people flock to it, but there are usually awful, long lines. It's not worth it, in my opinion. You can get just as good a breakfast, which is all they serve, and much cheaper at many other places in Maggie Valley. I live here, so I know.

Visited November 2012
“Locals love Joey's!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

Joey's is soooo yummy!! We eat here all the time and everyone in our family has their favorite Joey's breakfast. Mom - sweet potato pancakes (or Eggs Benedict, depending on the day!), Dad - "over medium" eggs, corned beef hash, and the homemade sausage gravy, Kiddoes love scrambled eggs with cheese on top and hash brown casserole. Staff is wonderful, and always keeps my coffee cup full. Just went this morning, but I'm already making myself hungry again... :)

2 Thank NCmom02
“BEWARE!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

A lot of positive reviews. I am shocked. We vacation to the area frequently. Wouldn't call us locals, but we're there a few times a year. Most locals we do know dont step foot in this place. We've been told its a total tourist trap and to stay away but eventually we decided we wanted to go and see what all the fuss was about.
I just don't get it. Maybe because there are not many options in Maggie Valley, or maybe becaue this place has kind of taken on a big reputation, but i honestly cannot understand what people like so much. Our experience was horrible from start to finish. Very rude hostess wouldn't seat us even though 9 out of 10 were there (the ninth person was my elderly father who was on his way but is a little slower). When he finally did get there and we told her we were ready she snapped at me and told me we had to wait just like everyone else even though we had been waiting for 30 min already.
When seated we were rushed and pressured to order. I have elderly family members and the waitress was very pushy towards them even though it was plainly obvious they are very old and a little slower and obviously had a little trouble with reading the menu. She told us there were a lot of people waiting. So we ordered. Our coffee was refilled only one time the entire meal and even then we had to ask. And we felt very pressured to leave quickly after our food came out. We spent more time waiting on a table than in the dining room.
The worst part of all was the food. Cold, rubbery eggs. Stale pancakes with no flavor. And something about mine and my husbands just didn't taste right. Because we felt pressured to eat and leave (and I didn't want to cause a scene in front of my elderly family members) we just ate it. BIG MISTAKE. We both got violently ill later that day and this was the only place we ate. I tried to call a manager to tell them we got sick (so no one else would) but every time I called I was told they were too busy to talk to me. Eventually I told the girl who answered to relay the message to an owner or manage and she chuckled and hung up.

I understand this is a favorite it seems of the tourists passing through, but, now I understand what many locals warned me about. They are not very kind people working or running this place and they thrive on tourism, in and out and never seen from again. I've since learned from other locals that many have had similar negative experiences, even getting sick like we did!

Ask a local, they will give you the real deal and probably give you some other much better suggestions too.

5 Thank Tracey L
flapjack11, Owner at Joey's Pancake House, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Tracey,

I hope you will accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience your party experienced when you visited Joey's. I and my staff pride ourselves on delivering quality food and excellent service so it troubles me when I hear that someone did not enjoy their time with us.

I am concerned that you were sick after dining with us and I have spoken with the hostess staff to find out why I was not informed you called. I can assure you that in over 45 years of business we have never received a complaint of illness from our food so I would take such an incident very seriously.

I hope that you would consider contacting me directly at the restaurant. I would like to offer you a full refund on your meals as well as a personal apology. I also wish you would consider visiting Joey's again in the future. I can promise you that your visit was an exception to our usual service and would like the opportunity to show you the Joey's experience that thousands of visitors have come to love.

Again I offer my sincere apologies to you and your family.

Best Regards,
Brenda O'Keefe
828-926-0212
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Tradition and Great Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

It's a great breakfast, I have had a variety of items and the quality of each has been high. It is a friendy enviorment and it's a place that the locals go as well as travelers and that is a good sign the food is good. I was impressed with the size of the fruit bowl.

Visited November 2012