“Excellent place to stay!!”

Creekwood Village Resort
Clinton, South Carolina
“Excellent place to stay!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

My kids and I always stay here when we go skiing in Maggie Valley. We;ve had wonderful experiences and memories made here. The lake and creek are so picturesque - and fun for the kids. Also nice that the cabins are not RIGHT on the main drag but back a few hundred yards - so nice and quiet and private - yet close to everything. Sonya is soooo nice. Always extremely helpful in planing a trip up there regarding weather and driving (and skiing) conditions. And we love the cabins - all the amenities we want and wonderful cabin feel. Also, this last trip Sonya was especially helpful - after checking out in the morning we went up the mountain to ski and had car problems (wouln;t go any further up hill!) - I immediately called Sonya who gave me directions to a local car guy, who within an hour had us all fixed up and we were skiiing before noon! Won't stay anywhere else whenever going to that area. We love Creekwood!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Frank W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Atlanta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We went here during the winter to go skiing and stayed in a 3 Bedroom cabin. The locaion was great and we loved teh ski area. Our cabin definately only had the most basic supplies. For example: NO paper towels, napkins, toaster oven or toaster. There was only 1 small pan for stove top. Not even a baking sheet or any pan for the oven, which was annoying since the kitchen is not very helpful if you have no pans and no toaster. No salt and pepper. There was no shampoo or conditioner in bathroom and 1 roll of toilet paper.

It was definately aged and furniture has been used to the point it needs replacing soon. We are pretty easy going, but I think my expectations were just a bit high so I was disappointed and felt like we did not bring everything we needed to be comfortable. She also wants you to pay in cash or check, which is a turn off for me and not a great way to get off on positive note. Keep in mind there is not a grocery store in town either. Would deinately go back to area, but stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: 3 BR cabin only have 1 Bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Katy L
sonjamichels, Owner at Creekwood Village Resort, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
I was sorry to read this review brcause I was extremely nice to the young couple that rented the cabin.
No one ever came to the office to let me know the toaster was not there. I would have given them a new toaster.
The couple and thier freinds checked out 2 hours and 15 minutes late and I did not charge them a late checkout fee, as is normal.
As you can see in most of my reviews the customers here at Creek Wood Village are really happy with my resort.
It makes me sad that this couple could not have spoken to me if they were so disappointed, but chose to go online and write this.
Sonja Michels
Owner/operator
Thomasville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I decided to plan a last minute presidents day weekend ski trip for my family to Cataloochee. I first checked with another property. They had no vacancy and recommended Creekwood. I was fortunate when I called that Sonja had a cabin available for us the next day.

As we drove into Maggie Valley, everything was pretty close together and somewhat touristy near the road. The leaves were off the trees and things looked brown. It was a nice surprise to drive around the festival grounds away from the road and find a quaint row of cabins by the ponds. From the front porch I could see mountains and from the back I could see swimming mallards.

Sonja was gracious and welcomed us early. She did say she preferred cash or check, but didn't require that. We were in cabin #3 which had a room downstairs with a queen bed and a single bed. There was an upstairs loft with a double and another twin bed. There was a wood burning fireplace that we enjoyed. (It was much easier to get going with a small starter log that she helped us locate at a nearby gas station.)

I read a negative review that involved Sonja's grandson several years ago. He must have grown up a lot since then because he was very polite to me. One evening I knocked at the office door and he opened it for me as he let his grandma know that "one of the guests is here for you." Just wanted to provide that update to anyone who might be concerned by the other review...

Snow began to fall the evening we arrived and by the next morning there were icicles hanging from the porch, snow on the lawn and in the branches, and the pond was beginning to freeze. On our final morning the pond had frozen enough that the ducks would slip n slide across it as they came closer to us looking for bread. I enjoyed watching them out the kitchen window.

The festival ground provides a buffer between the main road and cabins. It was vacant during our trip but might create a less quiet atmosphere during various festivals?? This would be a super convenient location to stay if you are wanting to attend a festival and like to be very close to but a little bit away from the main drag of Maggie Valley.

The cabin was clean and adequately appointed with basic dishes and even dish soap. I did have to buy some paper towels and a pan to make brownies. The shelves provided great pantry space. The only thing I might change slightly: the laundry is done in the office near a home where there is cigarette smoke. I am particularly sensitive to cigarettes and some of the odor was on the spare sheets left folded for us on the twin bed. I hung them outside for awhile before putting them on the bed and that seemed to take care of all but the pillowcase cigarette smell. I didn't notice the smell on the other larger beds that were made when we arrived, so we just traded pillows around and opted not to even bother Sonja with it. The house itself did not smell like cigarettes, but I wanted to mention this in case anyone else is particularly sensitive.

Room Tip: Cabin 3 was nice because of the double porches...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
St. Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

We wanted a nice cabin for the Pop corn Sutton music fest. We chose CreekWood Village and could not have been happier. The cabins are clean and very spacious. It is in a scenic location and backs up to water. Sonya, the owner, could not have been better in terms of welcoming us and giving us suggestions of things to do in the area. If we ever come back to Maggie Valley we would not consider staying any place but there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank emmittrudd
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2011

Creek Wood Village is a small, quiet, family-friendly resort tucked away from the road and set among two scenic ponds and a rushing creek. We appreciated that the cabin was very adequately heated in addition to the wood burning fire place and made extensive use of the full kitchen. Although not fancy, the cabin was clean, welcoming, and comfortable. We were impressed with the proximity to the Cataloochee Ski Area and noticed that there wasn't any trouble getting to and from in the snow! We enjoyed sending photos to our family using the free WiFi from the rocking chairs on the front porch and on the back porch overlooking the pond--how convenient is that!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank LifesTooShort2Waste
Mount Pleasant, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

We were on our 45th anniversary trip looking for a nice cabin near a steam. We wanted porches with rockers, cleanliness, easy access to shopping centers, and great places to eat. We decided we had the time to check out different places to see what they were offering for the money in Maggie Valley, NC. We planned to take a day having some fun a Harrah's Casino in Cherokee. We checked out several places before finding Creek Wood. You have to see the view to believe how beautiful this place is. The owner, Sonja Michel and her daughter Michelle manage the cabins. They are jewels. They took such good care of us that we extended our stay from 2 nights to 5 nights, and would have stayed longer had it not been for doctor appointments at home. We can hardly wait to go back and take our whole family. Skiing and snow boarding are just minutes away. They provided a notebook with nearby attractions, distance, time it takes to get to each place, and maps of the area. They also provided menus of local restaurants. I don't think that it will be too much longer before we go " back home" to Creek Wood!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HappyTravelerSWC4617
Callahan, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

My family and I have been going to Creekwood Village for about 30 yrs. It's like a home away from home. We always leave our home with a much needed vacation. And we always come home rested and recharged. I feel like we are going to see family when we pull up at Creekwood. Sonja, the owner goes out of her way to make our stay the best! I love looking out the kitchen window and seeing the pond with the ducks. I love walking around the pond and property. It is so peaceful.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple