“Like Being In a Horror Movie!”
Review of River Point Lodge

River Point Lodge
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Maggie Valley
Reviewed January 29, 2010

And I'm still haunted by my stay after 2 years! We stayed in one of the suites the first night. Right when we arrived my son had to use the bathroom. When he went to flush the toilet the chain in the tank broke. When I called the office I was told just to pull the chain in the back to flush it since they would not be able to fix it until the next day. Oh, great! Yes, it's clean tank water but we still had to stick our hand way down in to get the plunger to get the toilet to flush and that water was freezing! I shrugged that off. About an hour later while watching TV my son noticed a carpenter ant on the wall above one of the beds. Within moments after that we noticed more ants which seemed to be coming out of the trim along the edge of the ceiling! Called the office again, granted I never do this at any place I stay and I travel a lot, and was told by the woman this time that they would come to spray the place. I told her we would be going out to eat and that I would let her know if the problem was solved when we returned.
Once we got back to the room, right of the bat I noticed ants coming out of somewhere around the kitchenette sink! I called the office.......closed for the night. We should have left right then but since having unpacked everything I decided to suck it up until the next day. Now, when we hit the sack I noticed the ceiling above the beds; stained badly and it was sagging. I really didn't think too much of it but had a horrible time trying to go to sleep, thinking about the ants. A very restless night.
When I got up we went to the office to discuss the ant problem. By morning we could actually watch the ants coming out of the trim at the ceiling and my plan was to leave the place since I really wanted to get some rest after the long night before. The woman there, I guess the owner, told me that the room was sprayed the day before as I was told so there should no longer be a problem. After telling her that I wouldn't be up there complaining if the problem were solved she added that they had just had the baits outside refilled and that there should be a problem. Oh, so I just imagined the ants? After more discussion she said, "they are just carpenter ants so it's not like they will bite or anything!", uh, do what? She called a younger woman and man out of the back of the office and told them to accompany me to the room to spray again. Once we all entered the room, after every excuse for the ants in the book, the ants were coming out of all over the room, from the ceiling. Remember the drooping and stained ceiling? I realized at that point that there must have been a huge nest right above the beds! The guy said right away, "Oh! You can't stay in this room! We'll get you switched to another.". That would be the only good thing about the stay.
When we returned to the office I tried to get a refund and cancel that night's reservation. No way did that work. They wanted to keep my money and tried to tell me that another room down the way should be fine. Oh, sure! Right down the way would be any better???? I told her, "thanks but no thanks." proceeded back to the room, packed up my stuff, headed to KMart for a bug bomb, found another room, and in the parking lot of that hotel proceeded to fumigate my belongings while trying to relax the best I could.
I spent the rest of that day wiping down the inside of my vehicle to remove the bug bomb residue while it was all of 17 degrees outside! Thanks to that stingy non-caring witch at The Riverlet, my weekend was completely ruined and has left me with a memory that I could do without.
Lastly, the restaurant up front was never open during the time which we were there, but I'm glad for that because if it had been, we probably would have eaten supper there........deep fried carpenter ants anyone? Ugh!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Kh B
bellfood, Guest Relations Manager at River Point Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2016

This review is being posted on the wrong site this is not the riverlet motel

There are newer reviews for River Point Lodge

Reviewed September 25, 2008

We went up for the Maggie Valley Christmas Parade & stayed at the Riverlet. This was our 2nd or 3rd time staying there & we Love It. The rooms are very clean which is the most important thing to me. Staff could not have been nicer. We slept with our windows open & enjoyed the sound of the water running in the creek. Rates are excellent & it is just a good place to go to when you need to relax. Location is wonderful because you can walk anywhere you need to go in Maggie Valley. We have recommended it to friends & hopefully will be back there in the next few weeks. Yes it is an older hotel but the character makes up for it. I personally perfer Mom & Pop lodging than the big chains that have lots of noise all night long. At the Riverlet you will get a good nights sleep.

Angie,

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 27, 2007

the riverlet is an older hotel but it is well kept. the rooms show their age but it is clean which is my priority. they had a nice little restaraunt on site that served good food with good prices. had
a great deck by the creeks for sitting and listening to the water.
the pool was sorta small but it was heated, which is a must in maggie
valley. we will be going back in sep. for the bbq festival enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 28, 2006

We spent Memorial Day weekend here, and had a great time. Friendly and helpful staff. This hotel is for those on a budget, so dont expect a over-priced, over-rated "snob" hotel like those nearby. We had a balcony overlooking the creek, and slept well with the windows open while the creek was rushing by below. The cafe had a good breakfast and was very clean. We will return soon!

• Stayed: May 2006
Best Western Mountainbrook Inn
#3 of 25 in Maggie Valley
Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center
Quality Inn & Suites Maggie Valley - Cherokee Area

Been to River Point Lodge? Share your experiences!