“Loved Every Bit Of It!!!!!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maggie Valley
The Cataloochee Ranch
Fayetteville, North Carolina
“Loved Every Bit Of It!!!!!!!”
Reviewed September 19, 2007

Stayed there for 5 nights. The food the food the food. If I remember correctly the owner said" Theres no such thing as calories, well, until you go down the mountain." Lets just say that they serve rib sticking meals.

The staff was great, very courteous and hospitable.

The property is gorgeous. My favorite part was the pond. It is stocked with trout and has probably 30 bullfrogs in it.

It is a little on the expensive side but when you compare it to a week at a dude ranch in Montana it is a steal.
Definitely reserve a cabin. I got the Sassafras and the view out into the Great Smokey's was majestic.

• Liked — The cleanliness of our cabin and the grounds.
  • Disliked — The wireless internet wasnt working when I went.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Airman916

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
North Carolina
Reviewed August 12, 2007

My wife and I first stayed here before we had children. We just returned for a weekend stay with our three kids - ages 14, 12 and 10 - and had a very nice time.
The Cataloochee Ranch is a little pricey ($460 per night plus gratuity and taxes for our cabin for four, plus throw in an extra $50 for the extra person) but a nice place to stay, especially for families. It's primarily a destination for horse enthusiasts, but we chose it based on location - between Green River Preserve (where our 10-year-old daughter attended a week-long camp) and the Nantahala Outdoor Center, from where we embarked on a couple of rafting trips.
Cataloochee Ranch provides breakfast and the evening meal. The food was above-average. We ate outdoors at picnic tables. Desserts were fabulous.
The cabins were clean but not elegantly appointed.
Customer service was fair...these folks could learn a few lessons from the people at The Swag, which is our favorite mountain retreat. From the reservation process on, we didn't feel like we were anything special here, but maybe we're spoiled from our various stays at The Swag.

• Liked — location, view
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank bhorner3
Greensboro, Georgia
Reviewed January 20, 2007

We have just returned from a ski weekend and stayed at Cataloochie Ranch, we loved the convenience of being just one mile drive to the ski resort. We stayed there with another family and both of the cabins were clean and well equipped, the cabins were cleaned and towels changed each day.. We definately plan to stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cabin had space heaters but there was a gas log fire too
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Linda C
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 8, 2004

Being english and new to dude ranches and new to America - we decided to give Cataloochee a try.

I was blown away by it. After a 3-mile climb to the ranch from Maggie Valley - you arrive at the ranch and the grounds are well looked after and everything looks so well kept. We had a room in the main ranch house - which was very clean and homely. The bathroom was spacious and there were lots of towels for the two of us.

We booked for an afternoon ride and the horses are very very well looked after and in such good condition and well-trained. The wranglers are keen to take care of you and make sure that you have the standard of riding that suits you. The barn and the organisation is impeccable and the quality of tack fantastic. Rides last nearly 3 hours and you get to see beautiful Smokie mountain views.

The meals and service are again - marvellous. Meals are served on burners will help yourself salad and vegetables with the meat served for you from the bbq. You could go up as many times as you liked. A very wide range of desserts were also served and you could choose whatever you wanted and go back for more. Breakfasts are served and you are continually asked if you need extra food and drinks.

The majority of the other guests were families - a lot of reunions. And I am not surprised. It is so safe and there is lots of space to play games, there is a swimming pool and the ranch organises activities daily. There are wagon rides, treasure hunts and so many things to do. Even though the ranch was at capacity - we got to ride at every session.

The staff can't do enough for you. I was really blown away by the whole dude ranch thing and all of the americans we spoke to said Cataloochee was a really good choice. We just took pot luck off the internet.

It was fantastic !

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Montgomery, AL
Reviewed October 22, 2003

We arrived at our hotel in the valley to find that our room had severe mold. The front desk called every motel in the valley but no rooms. My twin sister had stayed at Cataloochee Ranch a couple of months ago and the motel called there. As luck would have it, there was a cabin available for one night. The rest of our group had rooms at the motel.
It was more than I could have imagined. Now I know why my sister and her husband forgot about calling home when they are there. Who wants to get shocked with reality. We got Azalea cabin. It's a 2 bedroom cabin.
I have never seen so many stars. It was a sight to behold. Be sure to arrive before it gets dark because it can be rather hard to see how to get to your cabin. The view the next morning was breathtaking. Even in the late October morning chill, it was great to sit outside and have our coffee. The morning came and we had breakfast. It was wonderful.
With sadness about leaving, we checked out. To our surprise, there was a cabin available for the night. Our day just brightened up as we joined the rest of our group in their rooms in the valley knowing what we had to look forward to that night. They had no idea what we were experiencing or they would have been envious. The cookout that night was wonderful. I couln't ask for any better food. Again, it was said to check out the next morning. I just wished we could have stayed for days. My sister will be back in November, lucky her. I'm not sure when I will be back but I know it won't be long. I can't wait to share it with my husband.

9 Thank worthit51
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 16, 2003

While Cataloochee Ranch is busiest in the summer, my husband and I spent a wonderful winter weekend in a private cabin at this mountain-top ranch. The cabin was spacious, with a separate bedroom, two porches, a gas fireplace, a kitchenette, a jacuzzi, tv/vcr, sleeper sofa, etc. The hosts are generous with the towels, and the coffee. There are loaner videos available at the office. (Since the cabins don't have cable, the videos are useful.) We stayed in the pond cabin, which was a bit separated and felt totally private. Great views with a wide porch, which the staff had totally cleaned off before we arrived. (It snowed the night before). The rates are lower in the winter and Cataloochee Ski Resort is a mile away. The parking for the ski resort was backed up all the way to the ranch the Saturday morning we were there. But since we were already at the top of the mountain we beat all the traffic. In winter, the ranch is only open Friday and Saturday nights. My only wish was to spend more time there. First-class service, beautiful cabins. The log cabins were wood inside and out, with tile and carpet inside. Gas fireplace, fridge, coffemaker and microwave. Handmade quilts. The works. It couldn't have been nicer. Great for couples or for families.

• Stayed February 2003